• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many crickets are too many?

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
My bearded dragon is 9 inches long. He's a young one. He's not a fan of his greens or pellets. He is a cricket eating machine. I know the rule of thumb is whatever they can eat in 15 minutes... but I'm wondering how many is too many... like... we go through 60 crickets in 2 days going by that rule. Is he getting too many?

At this rate, I'm going to have to start breeding crickets. lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Ours eats 40-60 crickets a day! I buy 1,000 at a time and with her and three frogs they last 2 weeks!

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
Ours eats 40-60 crickets a day! I buy 1,000 at a time and with her and three frogs they last 2 weeks!
Oh, so this isn't uncommon? Someone told me that overfeeding was a common reason that they die... and that I was killing him!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think it's hard to over feed them. When Dexter is done eating or doesn't want to eat she will let us know. Usually she will close her eyes when we try to get her to eat more or she will walk away and dance with her reflection.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The rule of thumb you mentioned is a good guide. Trying to put a number on how many should be fed is a difficult question to answer, as it depends greatly on the size of the feeders. What are sold at some places as large crickets would be considered small or medium at others & vice versa. Small, medium & large is all relative to comparison, the trick is what it is being compared to, as this also varies from source to source.

When I was feeding crickets, I would generally limit my BDs to 30-35 appropriately size crickets (Judging by the other old rule of thumb, of not feeding anything larger than the space between their eyes, I go by the narrowest dimension of the feeder, not longest or length) per day, if they wanted that many. It is not uncommon to hear of keepers feeding 50 crickets a day, but if this is the case, they are feeding very small crix.
General feeding/supplementation schedule:
For hatchlings and young juveniles (up to 2 months): Fresh greens/veg. 1-2 times daily - Live prey 2-3 times per day
Dusted: All Live Prey five days per week with phosphorus free calcium – one day per week calcium with D3 - One day per week with a vitamin supplement such as Reptivite or Herptivite.

For juveniles and sub-adults (2 months to sexual maturity): Fresh greens/veg 1-2 times daily - Live prey 1-2 times per day
Dusted: All Live Prey five days per week with phosphorus free calcium – One day per week with calcium with D3 - One day per week with a vitamin supplement such as Reptivite or Herptivite.

For adults (generally 1+ year): Fresh greens/veg 1- 2 times daily - Live prey every 2-3 days.
Dusted: Live Prey every other feeding with phosphorus free calcium - Twice per month with calcium with D3 - One day per week with a vitamin supplement such as Reptivite or Herptivite.

As there are different circumstances that may arise, this schedule is recommended only as a general guide and may be altered to accommodate individual situations. Using a tracking method of when you dust prevents unnecessary use of product and more importantly, potential harm to your dragon! With proper and effective UVB lighting, supplementation with vitamin D3 is not imperative but should be provided in small amounts. Excessive levels of oral vitamin D3 can potentially lead to the excessive absorption and utilization of calcium and/or toxicity as can the excessive use of supplements containing high levels of vitamin A. Over use of any supplement can have the potential to cause serious health problems, stick to an appropriate supplementation schedule.

Read More: http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/basic-bd-care-sheet-a-place-to-start.5177/
The amounts that you have mentioned sounds to be very normal ... As normal as can be said, as different BDs have different appetites at different stages & growing spurts in their lifetime, along with the aforementioned feeder size. Some BDs as youngsters are more active than others, therefore would need more nutrition than less active BDs.

So the long & short of it is, that the rule of thumb, of all they would want to eat in 10-15 minutes, has been found to be the best method of gauging an appropriate amount. They will generally lose interest once they begin to get full or enough & is why the time limit for those that won't. Of course common sense has to be used.

As far as greens go, it is quite common for some BDs not to take to greens for many months & this is generally not an issue, as they require much more protein as youngsters anyway. For all the BDs that I have had over the years, I have never tried to force greens on youngsters or any age BD for that matter, just always provide fresh greens daily, refreshing them as needed, whether they eat them or not. So they are there for when they do choose to test them out. Just be sure that they are well hydrated by regular recommended misting & warm soaks ...
Misting/Bathing: A twice weekly misting from head to tail with a fine spray mister of room temperature water helps hydration and shedding. Two or three times a month let your dragon have a bath in chest deep warm water, not too hot. Dragons seem to enjoy soaking and it may help to assist in hydration & clearing of minor impactions or constipation. Dragons will often defecate in the bath water, change the water immediately and run a fresh bath, they will only soil their water once on most occasions. Baths are ideal prior to allowing your dragon out of the enclosure as it helps to prevent "accidents". Do not leave your dragon unattended!

Read More: http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/basic-bd-care-sheet-a-place-to-start.5177/
Good Luck

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
As far as greens go, it is quite common for some BDs not to take to greens for many months & this is generally not an issue, as they require much more protein as youngsters anyway. For all the BDs that I have had over the years, I have never tried to force greens on youngsters or any age BD for that matter, just always provide fresh greens daily, refreshing them as needed, whether they eat them or not. So they are there for when they do choose to test them out. Just be sure that they are well hydrated by regular recommended misting & warm soaks ...Good Luck

Oh good. Yes, they are small crickets. And do get him to eat a tiny bit of greens, by putting them on his basking spot in the morning before the lights heat up too much. Then he get sup there, eats them off, because I think he's annoyed they are in the way. I figure it's a good way to get him to try them.

We haven't yet done a soak. That's our thing for today. We mist him though, as recommended.

Pat B

Super Moderator
How do you keep 1000 crickets alive? I buy 40 and about 10 of them die everytime! :cool: Thus I am buying crickets every other day. My Spike does not eat greens, veggies or fruits of any kind....turns up his nose so I 'vitamize' his crix and mealies. Won't touch the pellets either! Fussy boy I have!! :rolleyes:

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
I've done some research about breeding crickets... it really does not seem that hard... and it would save me some money. I could even sell the extras. I'm seriously considering it.

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
Starting & Caring For A Dubia Roach Colony

You could also have a peek at my bins of Discoid Roaches (Same care as Dubia) in the vids on my website by clicking anywhere on my Signature area or
http://us.gnbdragons.com/videos/discoid-roach-colony-feeding/youtubegallery?galleryid=3

Well, that's out for me. I live in Florida. :) " with the exception of possibly Fl. where most roaches are illegal to sell to or have, due to state law and they thrive in tropical conditions."

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Discoid Roaches are legal to keep in Florida ;) , so you do have an option ...

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did a little searching myself, this should answer it. It is not illegal to keep Discoids, but is to ship to Florida from out of State without a permit.
Permits are required for all regulated organisms brought into Florida from out of state. No permits are needed for native Florida species (except for species listed as Endangered or Threatened) or naturalized species that are obtained from in-state sources. This includes, but is not restricted to, the following organisms:
Crustacea:​
Decapoda: Coenobitidae:​
Coenobita clypeata – Caribbean hermit crab​
Insecta:​
Blattoidea: All native or naturalized Florida species of cockroaches.​
Blaberidae:​
Blaberus craniifer – death’s head roach​
Blaberus discoidalis – discoid roach​
Panchlora nivea – green banana or Cuban roach​
Blatellidae:​
Blatella asahinai – Asian roach​
Source: Guidelines for Importing Exotic and Non-Florida U.S. Arthropods

From: Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Entomology, Nematology and Plant Pathology
Hope this helps clarify some of the misconceptions ;).
My Email & Reply, sent prior to finding the previous posted information ...
Germain,
Discoid roaches are permitted in Florida as feeder roaches. As far as shipping them to other states goes, you would have to apply for a federal PPQ 526 permit. I'm away from my computer at the moment but I can send you that link later this week.
Greg
Mobile Message:
Dr. Greg Hodges
FDACS/Division of Plant Industry
Bureau Chief
Entomology,Nematology. And Plant Pathology
(352-372-3505 X 118
Please note that Florida has a broad public records law (Chapter 119, Florida Statutes). Most written communications to or from employees are public records obtainable by the public upon request. Emails sent to me at this email address may be considered public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant to the laws of the State of Florida.
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 02:56 PM
To: Hodges, Greg
Subject: Legalities of keeping & shipping Blaberus Discoidales Cockroaches In/to/from Florida
Hi Greg,
I keep running into conflicting information on the legalities of keeping &/or breeding & the shipping to & from other States, Discoid (Blaberus Discoidales) Cockroaches in the State of Florida. Could you possibly shed some definite light on the subject.
Specifically:
1- Is it legal to have Discoid Cockroaches shipped to Florida from other States for the purpose of feeding Reptiles?
2- Is it legal to keep & breed Discoid Cockroaches for the purpose of feeding Reptiles in the State of Florida?
3- Is it legal to ship Discoid Cockroaches to other States from Florida?
If this email is being sent to the wrong Department, could you please direct it to the Proper authorities to get a definite correct answer, or reply with the email of the authority who can.
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Germain

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
How do you keep 1000 crickets alive? I buy 40 and about 10 of them die everytime! :cool: Thus I am buying crickets every other day. My Spike does not eat greens, veggies or fruits of any kind....turns up his nose so I 'vitamize' his crix and mealies. Won't touch the pellets either! Fussy boy I have!! :rolleyes:

Sorry I just saw this. I have a 20 gallon tank in my basement that I keep them in. I provide lots of egg crate for hiding. I make sure they have lot's of water/vitamin filled foods, so whatever veggies I feed Dexter the crickets also get. I also feed them a dry cricket food and give them Fluker's cricket quencher just to make sure they stay hydrated. This works pretty good, I get maybe 20-30 die offs.

I thought about breeding my own crickets but I live in an apartment having and even though I have my own section of the basement we don't want to listen to adult crickets chirping all the time! Plus I think it would up my chances of having too many escapees!

NerJaro

Juvenile Dragon
Sorry I just saw this. I have a 20 gallon tank in my basement that I keep them in. I provide lots of egg crate for hiding. I make sure they have lot's of water/vitamin filled foods, so whatever veggies I feed Dexter the crickets also get. I also feed them a dry cricket food and give them Fluker's cricket quencher just to make sure they stay hydrated. This works pretty good, I get maybe 20-30 die offs.

I thought about breeding my own crickets but I live in an apartment having and even though I have my own section of the basement we don't want to listen to adult crickets chirping all the time! Plus I think it would up my chances of having too many escapees!

i do the same thing (well when i could buy large quantities of crixs) another good thing is to get old TP rolls and paper towel rolls and lay them in there. the shop i get my crixs at have TP rolls stapled together in a triangle formation so the crixs have plenty of room in less space

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
i do the same thing (well when i could buy large quantities of crixs) another good thing is to get old TP rolls and paper towel rolls and lay them in there. the shop i get my crixs at have TP rolls stapled together in a triangle formation so the crixs have plenty of room in less space

That's a good idea too. As long as the roll doesn't have any glue residue on it. I tried that with paper towel rolls when I had leopard geckos but then saw the crickets eating the glue!

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
I'm scared of getting a roach or two loose and my house getting infested. Roaches love Florida. Our weather is perfect.

Latest posts