• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello all

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@Germ. I have viewed That post in another forum, and my beardies have since been separated. I just like that picture of them together. The strange thing is, my vet said he's heard "both ways". Basically, he says there are advocates on both sides of cohabitation. Oddly, aside from a few displays of dominance, I never had a single problem with the two together. The male would actually perform mating type rituals (head bob, nipping at the nape, mounting, leg scratching), which I found odd since they're basically both still juveniles. Not once did either of them show signs of aggression. They even shared food and water...at the same time! I separated them on the "better to be safe than sorry" notion.

Very wise decision to seperate them. Not calling your vet out because I have no clue as to his or her actual expertise but the majority of vets and that includes "reptile" vets are not necessarily species specific experts. Just like with everything there are always 2 sides. You choosing to go with the side of not taking the risk is a smart choice especially since you have stated that you have witnessed signs of dominance between your two as well as mating-type "rituals". Both of those are not something to take lightly as the dominance battle would likely continue and become a more serious struggle between them. The mating thing in itself is a hazardous thing as well in that many times the nipping at the neck, etc can cause injuries that are sometimes serious.
Best not to take unnecessary risks with any creature you commit to and make a part of your family so I applaud you for that decision!
Great pics btw...we do love da pics here at the BDF...that is a fact!!:)
Enjoy!!

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Glad you enjoyed the Building Mt Mungi project and I really look forward to seeing your build too...it's a fun process for sure!:)
Enjoy!!
I'll be lucky if I get it started by next Spring. Since I separated my beardies, I'll have to get working on enclosures first. Right now, they are in a standard 55gal (which is much too narrow when either gets older), and a 30gal. The 30gal is totally "jerry rigged" right now, because I only recently separated them. So, I'm going to get the enclosure issue squared away...THEN do the fun stuff. Heck, I still put them both in the 55gal together sometimes. The UVB is much better than the "coil" style I'm using the the 30gal until next weekend. On the "cohabitation" front, I'm pretty confused. For the first month I had both, they were both kept in the 55gal. I posted a photo on another forum, and got the very insightful response from Germ (I think both here, and there actually). Here's where the confusion comes in...I know that relocation stress can cause beardies to not eat, and to act differently, however, neither of mine seem to want to eat unless they are together. I've tried with either of them in either enclosure. They just don't eat, run, or anything. They just lay there, or glass dance, until I put them in the 55gal together. I fully understand that these animals don't have family bonds, and the like. It appears you know your dragons, so I thought maybe you could help me out. What would cause this type of behavior? Is it because they are both familiar with the environment provided in the 55gal? Should I just pick one to leave in the 30gal, and wait for them to start eating?

***EDIT*** Autumn started eating while she was in the 30gal just now. Then, she ran up the stick that's in there, and is resting nicely at the makeshift basking site. It seems all is well now!

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Autumn's new (albeit temporary) home, and a nice shot of her basking on her (NOT shared) spot.
IMAG0291.jpg
IMAG0292.jpg

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
My suggestion would be to keep them separated period and that includes feeding them separately. I am not sure how long you have had them separated but I can tell you that these creatures are very sensitive to environmental changes. A move to a new enclosure is a major thing for them and sometimes even the smallest little thing "out of the norm" can effect them greatly. Anytime there is a change in their normal environment you can count on at least 10 or more days for them to acclimate during which time they generally won't eat much or as much and you will likely see other strange behavior such as increased "glass dancing" or perhaps even a depressed behavior or any number of other "weird" behaviors.
During that acclimation period it is just like when you first brought them home in that handling them needs to be kept to a minimum and you need to give them room and time to acclimate. It's just like you are starting over with them brand new again.

It is extremely stressful on them and you need to be aware of this because stress can lead to them getting seriously ill very easily. The FIRST thing most reptiles in general do when they are stressed is to stop eating.

I'm telling you this so that you can see that their not wanting to eat in their separate enclosures is because they are stressed and haven't been given enough time to properly acclimate to the change. It has nothing to do with them missing each-other and each time you put them back together you are adding to their stress and again when you separate them out again you are restarting the clock so to speak on the acclimation period.

These creatures don't need playtime with their beardie buddies nor do they need dinner companions.

The one that you have put in the 30 gallon enclosure is also probably a little more stressed out because he has had the biggest change in his environment and has gone into a much smaller space.

Given the time and patience they need to properly acclimate they will be fine and they will be much happier in the long run with their own houses that they never have to compete in.

One other warning that I want to add about the stress thing and one reason it is very dangerous for them. Bearded dragons like most reptiles naturally carry some parasites in their bodies at all times. Under normal conditions a healthy dragon's body keeps the levels of these parasites under control. However, stress can very quickly inhibit their body's natural ability to do this and the parasites can get out of control quickly which can lead to serious health issues for them.

At present for example our Mungi is recuperating from a very nasty Coccidia outbreak. Luckily we were able to find out what was causing his illness and treat him in time. The Coccidia parasite is one that they naturally carry and although there are more than one reason they can get out of control in a dragon one of the most common reasons is stress. Believe me when I tell you it is no fun having to go through such an illness with them.

Hope this helps!
Enjoy your day...time for snoozin here..lol:)

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I was thinking I got lucky when she ate some greens tonight, right after I put her in the enclosure. I'll make sure I watch her closely the next couple weeks. Thank you again for your swift, and very helpful, answer. I hope Mungi gets all better soon. Catch you later.

P.S. I noticed you mentioned in another thread that you're a driver. My dad drove for 30 years, so you're cool in my book...right off the bat!

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Glad to help anytime! Yep I've been rolling a little over 25 years now..mostly long haul and the majority as Owner-Op but as of recent have moved more regional to be home more often...I've done my time with the gone 30+ days and home for 4 or 5 days at a time...lol. I worked 9 of those years for Crete Carriers Corp which is based out of Lincoln,NE and rolled a many a mile along the I80 and I29 corridors so I know exactly where Glenwood,IA is and in fact spent a very cold day several years back on the side of I29 close to0 there when I blew a turbo pulling a load up to Omaha. The road conditions were real rough and it took almost 6 hours to get a wrecker out to pull me into the Terminal we had in Omaha...smh..drivers always remember the "good days" like those and even today I could take you to the exact spot on the side of I29 where I stayed...lol
Enjoy your day...it's yours to do just that with!:)

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I've lived in the Omaha area my entire life. Only the last year in Glenwood. Mom needed help, so we moved in with her. I'm very familiar with Crete. Dad bounced around must of the local joints until he was forced into retirement in 1981, for health reasons. I think my most vivid memories are him driving for Ancona Brothers, and a local florist. For the first ten years of my life I was used to not seeing him for weeks at a time. He more than made up for it from 82 to his death in 2000. Any time I talk with another driver, I have fond memories of dad. So...Thank you for the memories! Have an awesome day.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts