• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

flooring

June

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
What is the best "flooring" to use? I have a baby beardie and right now I'm using paper towels. I don't want to use sand. Thank you.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Paper towels are good. Reptile carpet is also good but not as easy to clean out

stijngh

Hatchling Dragon
I used to have sand but I replaced it with reptile carpet because he kept licking the sand. After some weeks I replaced the reptile carpet because it was a pain in the a** to clean, left pieces of paper towel because it felt like sandpaper, and was getting too damaged and losing its "nice" rough surface (http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/detailed/5/sand-mat.jpg - do NOT buy). It didn't look quite as nice as I imagined it either. Now I'm just using newspapers due to its ease of cleaning (just replace it with some new).

June

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I used to have sand but I replaced it with reptile carpet because he kept licking the sand. After some weeks I replaced the reptile carpet because it was a pain in the a** to clean, left pieces of paper towel because it felt like sandpaper, and was getting too damaged and losing its "nice" rough surface (http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/detailed/5/sand-mat.jpg - do NOT buy). It didn't look quite as nice as I imagined it either. Now I'm just using newspapers due to its ease of cleaning (just replace it with some new).

Thank you. I like the idea of the newspaper.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The only problem I had with newspaper was it stained the bottom of Luci's feet. His feet were stained so bad that I thought he had a fungal infection.

stijngh

Hatchling Dragon
The only problem I had with newspaper was it stained the bottom of Luci's feet. His feet were stained so bad that I thought he had a fungal infection.
Mine doesn't really run around on the newspapers. And it gives him something to read (lmoa, look at I mean obviously :D ). It also fits perfectly in my viv.

Humanmeerkat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Paper towels are good whilst it's young...imo sand is a no no along with wood chippings as Beardies are quite ferocious eaters and it WILL impact in the belly causing all sorts of problems. Newspaper ink I don't trust but you can purchase rolls of non printed newspaper which is good as you can cut it to length very easy this would be my choice but I have the viv in lounge and it don't look to pleasing to the eyes. So in my set up I use aspen and never feed mine in the viv as I prefer mine to chase the cricket for exercise...(too many overweight Beardies out there).

June

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Paper towels are good whilst it's young...imo sand is a no no along with wood chippings as Beardies are quite ferocious eaters and it WILL impact in the belly causing all sorts of problems. Newspaper ink I don't trust but you can purchase rolls of non printed newspaper which is good as you can cut it to length very easy this would be my choice but I have the viv in lounge and it don't look to pleasing to the eyes. So in my set up I use aspen and never feed mine in the viv as I prefer mine to chase the cricket for exercise...(too many overweight Beardies out there).

Thank you. Where do you feed your dragon? I feed mine in a separate tub, but she is little now and will out grown it in a month or so.

Humanmeerkat

Bearded Dragon Egg
A tub is good whilst he is young..mine is 12 now so I drop the cricket he chases then waits for next one and follows me around until I stop dropping them and he never let's one slip because the mrs would go mad if crickets were loose in house lol

June

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
A tub is good whilst he is young..mine is 12 now so I drop the cricket he chases then waits for next one and follows me around until I stop dropping them and he never let's one slip because the mrs would go mad if crickets were loose in house lol

Funny! I hate the crickets too. I use the tub so they don't get loose in the house. I read from another post that they can escape the enclosure.

stijngh

Hatchling Dragon
I just drop them one by one in his enclosure untill (s)he has enough. Simple and effective :)

Humanmeerkat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah crickets get out of enclosure...best not to let them wander around the viv as they can bite your dragon so try and feed one at a time..do you have a cricket keeper with tubes?

June

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah crickets get out of enclosure...best not to let them wander around the viv as they can bite your dragon so try and feed one at a time..do you have a cricket keeper with tubes?

I do, and I use a smaller cup with a screened lid to put them in so I can dust them with the calcium or vitamins. Then I dump them in the tub for Xena to eat them. It's a lot of work, but I really hate the crickets. I just can't touch them. Any left over crickets get dumped back into the small cup, then back into the cricket keeper. LOL I know it sounds crazy, but it is working for now since the crickets are small.

June

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I just drop them one by one in his enclosure untill (s)he has enough. Simple and effective :)

My enclosure has the two doors on the front, and the top does have small holes in the back that the crickets could escape from. Also, it seems like she doesn't see well and the crickets have to be close and moving for her to eat them. I am afraid if let them loose in the tank they would escape or she wouldn't eat what she needs daily.

stijngh

Hatchling Dragon
My enclosure has the two doors on the front, and the top does have small holes in the back that the crickets could escape from. Also, it seems like she doesn't see well and the crickets have to be close and moving for her to eat them. I am afraid if let them loose in the tank they would escape or she wouldn't eat what she needs daily.
Yeah, I really need to assist mine in "finding" the crickets as well. That's why I drop them in (by hand though) one by one. I also dust them in a separte cup too.

June

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah, I really need to assist mine in "finding" the crickets as well. That's why I drop them in (by hand though) one by one. I also dust them in a separte cup too.

I cannot touch the crickets.....are you feeding with worms too? I don't know how I'm going to do that. I'm waiting until she is bigger but I hate worms too. I heard the super-worms are the best but they can bite.

Latest posts