• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure Questions

Bahamut

Bearded Dragon Egg
Would it be okay to put big rocks as some sort of gravel in the viv? I have alot left over from some plant projects and was wondering if i could pick out the ones too big for him to swallow and put them in. He's got some slate tile, some larger rocks, a cave, and a large piece of wood now.
Would it also be possible to compact some dirt myself and make his viv part dirt? And lastly, I've been wanting to add a little patch of turf, he really seems to enjoy real grass, so I thought of adding it in for him. Is this a good idea?

Sorry for all the questions. I attempted to ask these on facebook but was ignored or vehemently objected to.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Yep they fine to put in. Just wash them first and then bake them in the oven at 220 for about 30 mins n it will kill any germs or bacteria on them. :)

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
I have broken flags in my viv had to bake n sand the sharp edges but they gud the keep. The heat in well aswel.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think if they are big rocks there is no problem putting them in your tank. I would stay away from gravel. I've seen other people put like a fake grass down in theirs. It looks cool but I'd be worried the beardie would try to eat it. You could maybe do wheat grass, that's edible.

One of our other members uses a bioactive soil in his tanks. It looks real cool. http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/threads/bioactive-soil-as-a-substrate-choice.11152/

Bahamut

Bearded Dragon Egg
And patsy, don't worry, it's not gravel per say, just rocks to fill in the gap. The rocks are bigger than his mouth could possibly fit so no worries!

drzebra

Juvenile Dragon
The only issue I have with rocks is that they're porous - hard to clean. You'll be spending a fair amount of time scrubbing dragon poop off it with a toothbrush.

Latest posts