• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eating enough?

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
It wont be long before you are wondering how such a small creature can possibly eat so much. Mine ate a similar ammount when I first got them, punctuated by the occasional day when they would eat a dozen in a sitting. By the time yours has shed a couple of times it will be eating you out of house and home. Just bear with it, there is nothing to be concerned about unless it stops eating all together.
The good thing about the dubias and their lack of climbing ability, means I can just leave them in a bowl in their enclosure, they will get around to eating them as they get hungry. At +12 inches long now, they will eat anything from 20 to 50 mediums a day each, some days they just dont have the appetite, other days they are little fat belly bug pigs.
Wow. Ok. Dragons are so new to me I jist panic the minute he doesn't eat! We will see how today goes. We have been offering fresh dandelion and butternut squash daily (he was getting dandelion and zuchinni last week). I'll keep you posted!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Leisl Seigler

Hatchling Dragon
WAIT so it's the width of the food, not the length in regards to the space between their eyes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
If he's eating dubia that is fantastic as they don't need as many since they are way more nutritious than other bugs, if he's pooping ok, acting ok, basking ok....then I would just see how things go. These creatures will keep you on your toes and will do all sorts of things to freak us out sigh...I now have a 2yo and a 1 1/2 yo and they still freak me out).... Hang in there I wouldn't worry yet. Got any pictures?
Here's some pics of Puff! He finally ate today but only 3 dubias. Better than nothing!
e01cde8349326255ea79fdc0bafffeca.jpg
c5234bf05e0bdd8321579853864eb08e.jpg
5f85918e7d09ff2285e473bf5eb41172.jpg

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Forgot to mention....these pics were taken when we first got him 1.5 weeks ago. He has already grown 1/4 inch!

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
So I like to share pics of Puff to pretty much anyone who will look. Shared this pic above on facebook this morning............a "friend" (not really a friend but that's what they are called on facebook) decides to try to educate me on why I shouldn't feed dubias and should feed crickets.........according to her, roaches are very high in fat. And then she tells me to feed lettuce everyday.

I am a vet. While not fully educated in the dragon world, I have learned where to obtain good info from and continue to educate myself. But I have this same problem with people trying to tell me what is and isn't good for cats and dogs. It's sad that the general public reads one thing and takes it as fact.

Latest posts