• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eating enough?

Edd

Hatchling Dragon
My baby beardie (2 mo old) is eating up his food I just want to know if its enough. I give him 10 small dubies 2 times a day and 5 dubies + 1 worm once a day.

Thanx Edd

rdoyle225

Juvenile Dragon
Move up sizes. That what I had to do. My guy when thought 600 small in 3 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Edd

Edd

Hatchling Dragon
Move up sizes. That what I had to do. My guy when thought 600 small in 3 weeks.

OK, but what about them being no bigger then the space between there eyes?
Im ordering some today so I need to know what size to get small or med.? My "Little IT" is 6"-7" long.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
As long as the width is no bigger than the space between the eyes it should be fine. Dubia are pretty filling so I think you have a good routine going on. If he seems like he is still hungry though, I would give a bit more. When mine were little I fed them crickets and gave them as many as they wanted in a 10 min period. With crickets they ate about 70 a day. People say 1 dubia is equal to about 8 crickets, so you can do the math there LOL!

Edd

Hatchling Dragon
As long as the width is no bigger than the space between the eyes it should be fine. Dubia are pretty filling so I think you have a good routine going on. If he seems like he is still hungry though, I would give a bit more. When mine were little I fed them crickets and gave them as many as they wanted in a 10 min period. With crickets they ate about 70 a day. People say 1 dubia is equal to about 8 crickets, so you can do the math there LOL!
COOL Thanx that helped cuz ITs healthy/active/alert......just a little pig!

rdoyle225

Juvenile Dragon
The size I'm feeding
5b545ecd879a76e07bfffb449627065b.jpg
aaabdcd571b25dc954eecf08249ead37.jpg

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
If he wants more, feed him more. They are eating machines when they are little! Mine was easily eating 50+ insects (dubia or crickets) daily plus his greens. They grow SO FAST you don't really have to worry about obesity at that age. Mine went from hand sized to longer than my forearm in about 6 months.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep if they want more go for it when they are no longer hungry they stop..At that age you really can't feed them too much especially if they are really active. BTW beautiful coloring!!

Edd

Hatchling Dragon
If he wants more, feed him more. They are eating machines when they are little! Mine was easily eating 50+ insects (dubia or crickets) daily plus his greens. They grow SO FAST you don't really have to worry about obesity at that age. Mine went from hand sized to longer than my forearm in about 6 months.
This little thing hasnt been eating any fruit or veggies that I can tell. I change out every morning and make sure there choped small enough. I change what kind I give too right now its spinach and grapes.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This little thing hasnt been eating any fruit or veggies that I can tell. I change out every morning and make sure there choped small enough. I change what kind I give too right now its spinach and grapes.
Don't worry about them not eating the greens and veggies as when they are little they need the protein WAY more as they are growing like crazy.. Just keep offering greens daily..
Spinach is not a green that should be offered as it is Very high in Vit A and is an item that is a very rarely to be fed item.. If you take a look at the links below several of our comments click on the first link that will take you to a thread that we talk alot about everything you would need to know and in there we give several food links that we use.. www.beautifuldragons.com has a very detailed list.. It's better to stick to collards, turnip, dandelion, mustard greens as your staple green. fruits are a once a week type as the sugars are something they shouldn't have alot of..

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Yep if they want more go for it when they are no longer hungry they stop..At that age you really can't feed them too much especially if they are really active. BTW beautiful coloring!!
So do you feed only dubias or do you rec mixing in some different worms for the juveniles?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I give mine dubia, supers treats are waxworms, butterworms and when i buy phoenix worms..

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
I give mine dubia, supers treats are waxworms, butterworms and when i buy phoenix worms..

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
Ok cool. I'll be ordering insects soon. Gonna get a variety. ..dubias, nutrigrubs, and supers. I've got 2 more weeks til we get our new dragon! Waiting cuz we have a couple of weekend vacays!

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
So we have had Puff for 2 days now. I think he should be eating more than he is but he ate more today than he did yesterday so I guess that's good? We think he ate some yellow pepper. Not sure if he is touching the dandelion. He ate 2 superworms one the first day and now won't touch them. He eats 4-5 roaches twice a day.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So we have had Puff for 2 days now. I think he should be eating more than he is but he ate more today than he did yesterday so I guess that's good? We think he ate some yellow pepper. Not sure if he is touching the dandelion. He ate 2 superworms one the first day and now won't touch them. He eats 4-5 roaches twice a day.

As he settles in he will start to eat more.

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Ok. So Puff has been eating 3-5 dubias twice a day depending on size. Today, he's not interested at all but still lively and moving about. Am I jist being a paranoid momma or should I be concerned? !

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. So Puff has been eating 3-5 dubias twice a day depending on size. Today, he's not interested at all but still lively and moving about. Am I jist being a paranoid momma or should I be concerned? !

If he's eating dubia that is fantastic as they don't need as many since they are way more nutritious than other bugs, if he's pooping ok, acting ok, basking ok....then I would just see how things go. These creatures will keep you on your toes and will do all sorts of things to freak us out sigh...I now have a 2yo and a 1 1/2 yo and they still freak me out).... Hang in there I wouldn't worry yet. Got any pictures?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It wont be long before you are wondering how such a small creature can possibly eat so much. Mine ate a similar ammount when I first got them, punctuated by the occasional day when they would eat a dozen in a sitting. By the time yours has shed a couple of times it will be eating you out of house and home. Just bear with it, there is nothing to be concerned about unless it stops eating all together.
The good thing about the dubias and their lack of climbing ability, means I can just leave them in a bowl in their enclosure, they will get around to eating them as they get hungry. At +12 inches long now, they will eat anything from 20 to 50 mediums a day each, some days they just dont have the appetite, other days they are little fat belly bug pigs.