• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

do you recommend dubias

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i have been buying crickets for my beardie since i got him but they stink , i get tired of escapees, and they die to easily and always like to hide....from what i see on here alot of people prefer dubias are they better for bearded dragons and how hard is to care for them ... i also heard that silkworms are the best feeders for bearded dragons ...so can someone tell me what are the best feeders to feed bearded dragons and are locusts or grasshoppers better than crickets

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm not a big fan of crix, they're nasty & don't have any meat to them. Try Dubias, hornworms, locust, silks or supers. These offer more fat & protien. Feeders with a higher content of fat should be fed in less quantities.

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I personally prefer Dubias. Crickets smell really bad and are cannibals, if they get hungry they ear eachother. If you keep alot of them theu chirp too which is really annoying... Roaches on the other hand dont smell and dont make any noise and dubias cant climb smooth surfaces very well. They are hardy bugs so very easy to care for!!! they are roaches, so they'll eat pretty much anything. I have a colony and they are doing amazingly. They breed very fast so you'll almost always have feeders. They are more expensive than crickets, but if you get a colony started its so worth the investment!!!

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I hate crickets. I stopped using them after trying them out for 4 weeks, lol. I can't really say good or bad about dubias because sadly they are illegal to have them shipped to Florida. They sound like a good feeder. I used reptiworms while my beardies were growing and I now use superworms.

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Not to go off topic or anything but I feed George these soft blue worms. Those are horned worms right? For some reason I get them mixed up with super worms (because of the name). I know I give George a couple of those once in a while and he loves them

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I hate crickets. I stopped using them after trying them out for 4 weeks, lol. I can't really say good or bad about dubias because sadly they are illegal to have them shipped to Florida. They sound like a good feeder. I used reptiworms while my beardies were growing and I now use superworms.
i didnt know they were illegal!!

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i ordered 100 small dubias today how do you care for the little buggers
its very easy. For 100 smalls you will need a small tupperware bin with a lid or something they cant climb out. Throw in something for them to hide in ex: paper towel rolls, egg cartons, cardboard, even paper towel balls. For food i use a mix between mini wheat cereal and ground up cat/dog food. for water you can use store bought water crystals, or what i do is throw in cut up potatoes or carrots.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
well they aren't illegal just illegal to ship in the u.s. because if they get out they eat every piece of vegatation in their past and they breed very rapidly
I think that's locust your thinking of. I was refering to dubia (roaches) being illegal in Florida.

americanbeardeddragons

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
If you need water crystals you can add them to your order. For food we use oats,bran,chicken scratch without meds and high protein dog food. For veg sweet potato,zucchini,collard greens,carrots.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
can you put dubia roaches in a ten gallons fish tank? i have ten gallon fish tank that i keep crickets in but im wanting try dubia instead can they go in that instead of a tuberware container

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah they can, but are you mixing them with the crickets? I don't think u can do that if that's what ur doing, bt yes a 10 gallon tank will be fine for holding them, not for a full colony though

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
no i won't have crickets in there if i change to dubia right now i have crickets in there just a quetion i got crickets maybe im am doing this wrong been keeping them in the ten gallons fish tank egg carton that is tore up and some tolet paper roll in there also i put some flucker's orange cube complete cricket diet and this last batch crickets most of them died before i fed them to jessie
do they need a heat source are will they live in room temps

Latest posts