• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cost of breeding

naich

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So i unfortunatly do not have the option of breeding as im only 16 and will be in colledge soon and dont have the time for it. also only have one dragon, so this isnt from my personal experiance, but rather from my readings.

The first thing you will need is an incubator.($40)
then then you will need several cages. 2 or 3 twenty gallon longs will do fine if no more than 6 or so are inside. ($60)
Lighting is a neccisity and is a costly aspect. a 48 inch repti sun 10.0 that runs across will fit three cages perfectly. three 100 watts and fixtures. I dont recomend using MVB with hatchlings as it may be too powerful, and with cages these small that bulb is way to powerful.($85)
Supplements are also very important to ensure proper growth(($15)
Cage decore for babies is relativly simple. no hides, but a place to esacpe from the heat. A basking spot, usally people just use a rock or drift wood. If you want a flashy cage and go with a nice store bought basking spot it will be around 10 bucks. but you need three of them...so($30)
Now we get to the feeders. The best thing you can do for your dragons is breed dubia roaches. I could write for hours on the benifits but ill just name a few.

PROS- larger meat to shell ratio that crix. Breed easier than crix. Produce no noise unlike crix. Cleaner and produce NO SMELL unlike crix. Dont need daily cleaning of colony unlike crix. Larger than crix.(one adult roach roughly 2 to 3 inches is about 10 crix worth of meat) Unlike many people think they cannot climb smooth surfaces, cannot fly(the males can "flutter" but cannot actually go from the floor of the cage to the top) they do however need temps of 85 and decent humidity to breed and a colony takes about 6 months to establish before you can take sufficiant amounts to feed.(do a quick youtube search to learn more about these)

Okay so back to how much they eat...lol alot. One baby eats roughly 80 crix a day. Every day! A normal clutch has between 10 and 20 eggs, sometimes more babies. That 1200 crix a day! thats 20 bucks right there if you buy online. Usally a beardie if healthy will have several clutches about a month apart from each laying. Thats up to 60 or babies from one breeding session as they can store sperm for some time. Thats alot of crickets!!!!!!!!In this case ill do a total cost of crix for one month for 15 babies if you buy all of them and dont breed crix.($720) a month! if you breed roaches or crix its practically free though.

Now the reason your breeding these lizards is to sell them i hope. unless you have a dozen adult cages and giant amount of money. But lets say they dont sell? then what do you do with 15 sub adult dragons when they out grow there baby tank? thats way too much work. keeping one or two is fine as long as they have seperate tanks and you have the money, but 15 is crazy,lol. So make sure you can sell them before you start. ask around do research, are they still in high demand? do you have people interested in your specific morphs? ect....

So it adds up to roughly about $1000 and about four months of work. Cn you realistically do that? if so then go for it, raising healthy babies can be amazing. i know when mine was a baby i enjoyed watching him grow and develope a personality, colors, size, ect. Plus if all goes well and you sell them all than that 15 times 60(common price morphs and age may change this variable)Which practically makes your profit back. If you already have these supplies than you can make some real bank, lol.

Make sure you have the resources for this and two healthy dragons, if you do then cheers.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So i unfortunatly do not have the option of breeding as im only 16 and will be in colledge soon and dont have the time for it. also only have one dragon, so this isnt from my personal experiance, but rather from my readings.

The first thing you will need is an incubator.($40)
then then you will need several cages. 2 or 3 twenty gallon longs will do fine if no more than 6 or so are inside. ($60)
Lighting is a neccisity and is a costly aspect. a 48 inch repti sun 10.0 that runs across will fit three cages perfectly. three 100 watts and fixtures. I dont recomend using MVB with hatchlings as it may be too powerful, and with cages these small that bulb is way to powerful.($85)
Supplements are also very important to ensure proper growth(($15)
Cage decore for babies is relativly simple. no hides, but a place to esacpe from the heat. A basking spot, usally people just use a rock or drift wood. If you want a flashy cage and go with a nice store bought basking spot it will be around 10 bucks. but you need three of them...so($30)
Now we get to the feeders. The best thing you can do for your dragons is breed dubia roaches. I could write for hours on the benifits but ill just name a few.

PROS- larger meat to shell ratio that crix. Breed easier than crix. Produce no noise unlike crix. Cleaner and produce NO SMELL unlike crix. Dont need daily cleaning of colony unlike crix. Larger than crix.(one adult roach roughly 2 to 3 inches is about 10 crix worth of meat) Unlike many people think they cannot climb smooth surfaces, cannot fly(the males can "flutter" but cannot actually go from the floor of the cage to the top) they do however need temps of 85 and decent humidity to breed and a colony takes about 6 months to establish before you can take sufficiant amounts to feed.(do a quick youtube search to learn more about these)

Okay so back to how much they eat...lol alot. One baby eats roughly 80 crix a day. Every day! A normal clutch has between 10 and 20 eggs, sometimes more babies. That 1200 crix a day! thats 20 bucks right there if you buy online. Usally a beardie if healthy will have several clutches about a month apart from each laying. Thats up to 60 or babies from one breeding session as they can store sperm for some time. Thats alot of crickets!!!!!!!!In this case ill do a total cost of crix for one month for 15 babies if you buy all of them and dont breed crix.($720) a month! if you breed roaches or crix its practically free though.

Now the reason your breeding these lizards is to sell them i hope. unless you have a dozen adult cages and giant amount of money. But lets say they dont sell? then what do you do with 15 sub adult dragons when they out grow there baby tank? thats way too much work. keeping one or two is fine as long as they have seperate tanks and you have the money, but 15 is crazy,lol. So make sure you can sell them before you start. ask around do research, are they still in high demand? do you have people interested in your specific morphs? ect....

So it adds up to roughly about $1000 and about four months of work. Cn you realistically do that? if so then go for it, raising healthy babies can be amazing. i know when mine was a baby i enjoyed watching him grow and develope a personality, colors, size, ect. Plus if all goes well and you sell them all than that 15 times 60(common price morphs and age may change this variable)Which practically makes your profit back. If you already have these supplies than you can make some real bank, lol.

Make sure you have the resources for this and two healthy dragons, if you do then cheers.
It's not really about "Making Bank" though is it. I would think that just being able to breed and make 100% sure that you are bringing healthy, quality Dragons into this world would be the real reward. Maybe I am wrong....

naich

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
mm where did you get all that info from the internet or books. If so your supposed to state where the info came form if its not your own work otherwise you could be done for plagiarism. Dragons can have upto around 30 Eggs per clutch! Plus depending on where you are in the world prices of these items may be far more expensive. In the UK an inc can cost around £120 - far more than the $40 you mention. Plus in the UK we do not understand gallons
Please remember that forums have members worldwide so if your going to mention how to set up and include prices and sizes make sure you mention that they are US sizes/prices and only a guide. Plus its not about making money unless your going to be a serious breeder! people make the mistake of buying 2 dragons and breeding them thinking its fun, but if you cant sell them - which when everyone is doing same its hard then your lumbered with them!
by stating things in gallons and the US dollar symbol i would hope you could tell its not the meteric system or cost in pounds,euro's, ect. Clutches vary between every dragon, that was just an average for what someone might expect from a normal sized dragon. Also i know its about the enjoyment of raising dragons, this is true. But who can honestly deal with 30 plus dragon? thats not really practical, you have to sell. Also $40 for an incubator is the lowest price i found for one. Many people make home made ones for even less(even though thats probably not a good idea) it happens.

State where my info comes from? i just wrote this as a rough outline for people considering home breeding. This is after haveing a dragon for 4 years and participating on multiple forums for years. Im not going to have a works citied page. No one will. If that was the case every post would have one since they didnt discover that fact themselfs. Just not practical at all...

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I agree that you would have to sell or give them away, no doubt. I was just saying that you maybe shouldn't breed with the hopes of making a lot of money or simply to make some quick cash. Just pointing out that you need to think of the animals well being first and make sure that you are able to care for ALL of them in the event that you can not rehome them. I am sure it can be quite an expense to do it right and to make sure the babies get the care they need and desreve. I am not knocking what you're explaining in your post. Just asking people to be realistic and think it ALL through before jumping into something that involves lives.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think that all he was trying 2 do is point out just how costly breeding dragons can be. With all of the owners out there thinking that breeding can be an easy & cheap task, this should kinda put things n2 perspective 4 them. If u don't know what a gallon is,,,,,,,,,,,,, study or get a conversion app. on your Iphone.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I think that all he was trying 2 do is point out just how costly breeding dragons can be. With all of the owners out there thinking that breeding can be an easy & cheap task, this should kinda put things n2 perspective 4 them. If u don't know what a gallon is,,,,,,,,,,,,, study or get a conversion app. on your Iphone.
Agreed!!! From some of the other breeding posts that I was reading on here it's not just the initial expense though, right. Raising these little ones can be quite costly as well. And that was my concern, make sure you have the means to care for them once they are here and you might not be able to find them new homes right away. Just be informed on ALL that is involved BEFORE bringing these little ones into the world. That's all.....

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/volume.htm
Lizardlover, check out the link above, hope this helps. A 36inch x 18inch x 18 inch is a 55 gallon tank, I think. You can always Google the conversions. I don't have the luxury of an iPhone either but you can find most anything online. I know the language barrier can make things hard and I don't think anybody has a prob explaining a meaning of something if asked. At least that shouldn't be an issue. I was born and raised in Germany and understand your frustration with American English terminology and US units of measurment. But it isn't rocket science. Feel free to ask me anytime you are unclear on something and I will do my very best to help you if others on here feel it is beyond them to do so.

naich

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Meaning?? Im not bashing anyone thank you just giving my thoughts or are they not allowed??
I dont consider it bashing but you did say that I should show credit for my information found. I just laugh at that. No one does that and this was gathered over months I don't even know where to go to credit my sources. Forum edicate? What have I done that isnt proper forum edicate? I wouldn't call it research either I have just been reading post and going on YouTube and google getting multiple views and opinions on the topic. Research would probably be more hands on and more in depth.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If you are posting or reading on this forum you have access to the web therefore you have the access to a conversion chart. Although this forum maybe worldwide i would say at this point its US based and US dominate, when i go to foreign forums they don't convert to US for my convenients.

naich

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
If that's true than practically every post on this forum is in trouble.

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I really hate math..And this post proves why! lol

If I state that something is a certain amount monetarily, then out of respect for those that may not be within the USA, I will in fact place (US) or (USA) after the said amount. This way, the person that is reading, and who may not be from my neck of the woods can take what I said about the dollar amount and convert it in to their currency and get a more accurate reading for THEIR country. That's just my two cents (USA ;)) on the issue..

As for the breeding, I say do it for the enjoyment factor more than the money factor. Plus, be working out plans to be adjusting as to know what to do with babies that are NOT sold, and may not be able to be given to the pet stores. There's a lot more to breeding than just the money aspect.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Lighten Up lizard. Regardless where the info came from the kid took the time to find it and post it. I might also add its fairly correct. This is a friendly forum for sharing info. Its not the patent office nor a university project or class, so cut the kid some slack.
Agreed! Why is everything on this forum turning into a battle these days. WOW!!!!

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
O
Lighten Up lizard. Regardless where the info came from the kid took the time to find it and post it. I might also add its fairly correct. This is a friendly forum for sharing info. Its not the patent office nor a university project or class, so cut the kid some slack.
Amen.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I dont normally jump into drama type BS on forums, but the few posts that I have actually read of yours seem very argumentative. Now this is my perspective, I feel its great to have different opinions, but it seems like you want to ram yours down peoples throats. *(again my perspective) Im sorry you feel this isnt a friendly forum, I have not had anything but good experiences here. Try and lighten up a bit and keep in mind facts can be a matter of opinion as well.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Exactly the point bill, Jeffo , myself and other have mentioned it was friendly till!!!!

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yup thats it it was friendly till?? as you put it what you mean is til i showed up! youve already made that quite clear!
i am not raming stuff down people throats as you put it but it seems what ever i say is wrong! My opinions are not accepted on here for some reason, get a grip guys! woman Can have opinions! if you dont like it shame as it means your being sexist!
Your blowing this way out of proportion & you need 2 chill out. Nobody has made any sexist comment 2 you or any other female member on this site. If you want 2 play the victim role, play it! I don't think that any members are buying n2 your act.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh boy here they go again....................... I'm outa here for today. Enough drama elsewhere don't need to come here and get it too. Killin' me..............have a pleasant evening Ladies and Gentlemen.

Latest posts