• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation Discussion

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Light doesn't affect Hefs sleep at all. He'll knockout anywhere .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I think my Ruth could hear a pin drop in her sleep haha. Once my little Mushu passes out, he's out until his lights come on again. When Hef was down for the count last year, did you ever take him out for baths?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Since he's still eating a few worms now and then he needs the light to digest . I had my mbd experience with a chameleon so I'm too scared to not turn on the lights. I had 2 Chameleons and they started fighting so I had to seperate them and I was juggling lights and I think the female may hv been making eggs so the mbd really took a toll . I had her put down because she was suffering and I didn't think she would come back from it. But Seymore did get better and he's healthy now. Still a little curvy but he's grown alot so he's good now. I wouldn't recommend a chameleon to anyone. I love him and he will live out his life with me but never again.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I think my Ruth could hear a pin drop in her sleep haha. Once my little Mushu passes out, he's out until his lights come on again. When Hef was down for the count last year, did you ever take him out for baths?

Wally is the same as Ruth! He wakes up if I walk near him. We have a piece of fabric that covers up the front part of his enclosure so he can't see me now at night. Lol

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member

I didn't only because I didn't know what I was doing and I read that if there's no parasites they won't lose any weight or dehydrate. I will this year for sure. He's only part down so he still uses a little energy and eats a few worms so I need to support his digestion . Hef loves the bath finally hell fall asleep in there.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Since he's still eating a few worms now and then he needs the light to digest . I had my mbd experience with a chameleon so I'm too scared to not turn on the lights. I had 2 Chameleons and they started fighting so I had to seperate them and I was juggling lights and I think the female may hv been making eggs so the mbd really took a toll . I had her put down because she was suffering and I didn't think she would come back from it. But Seymore did get better and he's healthy now. Still a little curvy but he's grown alot so he's good now. I wouldn't recommend a chameleon to anyone. I love him and he will live out his life with me but never again.

I think I will keep the lights on for them, I might just lower the temps with a lower wattage bulb. I'm sorry you had so many issues with your chameleons. I've read that they can be quite fragile. I did consider getting one, but I think I'll pass unless there are special circumstances. I wasn't going to get a beardie until little Ruth showed up at work needing a loving home. Now I'm smitten :)

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Exactly I'd take one if it were in need but not otherwise. That's what I did too. I got a low watt 50 or 75 . I'm in Los angeles so we don't need alot of heat. It's not even cold at night here.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
7ca127c2cdae6307fd46701810783756.jpg
This is Seymore. He's named after a doctor on Hoarders that had more roaches than I've ever seen. And because he's a chameleon you want to see more of him. Get it Seymore.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
7ca127c2cdae6307fd46701810783756.jpg
This is Seymore. He's named after a doctor on Hoarders that had more roaches than I've ever seen. And because he's a chameleon you want to see more of him. Get it Seymore.

[emoji23] That's too cute! You have way more imagination than I do. He's a cutie, that's for sure.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wally is the same as Ruth! He wakes up if I walk near him. We have a piece of fabric that covers up the front part of his enclosure so he can't see me now at night. Lol
Haha, I cover Ruth's enclosure with a blanket every night once the lights kick off. It seems to help her fall asleep and stay asleep.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Haha, I cover Ruth's enclosure with a blanket every night once the lights kick off. It seems to help her fall asleep and stay asleep.

This way with Wally's fabric up I can walk into the room and do stuff, clean up the bugs containers, etc and he will sleep thru it otherwise if he hears me and can see me he will open his eyes and watch me. Lol

We got a piece of fabric for Lacey's enclosure but right now she's in a 20 gallon long tank. Still looking around for her forever home.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
This way with Wally's fabric up I can walk into the room and do stuff, clean up the bugs containers, etc and he will sleep thru it otherwise if he hears me and can see me he will open his eyes and watch me. Lol

We got a piece of fabric for Lacey's enclosure but right now she's in a 20 gallon long tank. Still looking around for her forever home.
Same here. Sometimes I still need to do things in the reptile room after lights out. A lot of the kiddos are nocturnal, so their feedings are done at night while my beardies are sound asleep. I do plan on moving Ruth into a different room. I'd like to put her in a location with a cooler ambient temperature so her enclosure doesn't get too warm.

I never used a 20 gallon for Mushu. I didn't think I'd be able to get a proper gradient, so I started him out in a 40 and he used every bit of the space. He was also 5 inches in length when I got him, so I think he had some size on miss Lacey.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hef is in a 60 gal. And he seems content in there. I always tell ppl just go big from the start. It's cheaper in the long run and you don't end up with a bunch of xtra tanks all over the place. I learned the hard way. On let go.com and offer up.com they have tanks on there for great prices. Pet co has 1 dollar a gallon sales too.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I had this 20 gallon long tank leftover from my hermit crabs. I know it's not ideal but like Eavlynn said Lacey does have some time to spare before moving up. Lol

I've looked at those places candybugs and I do think there's a 40 gallon breeder with a locking mesh lid for $50.00 that I'm considering. Either that or another one like Wally's for $125.00

He's in a 67 gallon front opening reptile viv. I love it but I personally think it's a bit tall.

Once Lacey is out of this 20 gallon long tank I will have 2 of them sitting empty, a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon. Lol
All were hermit crab tanks. I will be contacting this local lady who takes tanks off your hands for her rescue fish foundation. Might keep the 10 gallon for an ISO (isolation tank) for if I ever have a crab that's sick.

We got a great deal at PetSmart on a 65 gallon tank and stand for the hermit crabs for just under $200.00 - I couldn't pass it up.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Petsmart is running the dollar a gallon sale now. Petco ended there's recently, at least in my area. The yardsale apps and Craigslist are great for finding tanks. I don't mind using a 40 for Mushu for now, but I'd like to build him a 4x2x2 once he puts on some size.

I don't think I'll ever have hermit crabs again. I had 3 when I was 12 or so, the 2 bigger ones tore each other apart and my tiny dude, Toby, was with me for a year. One day his shell got caught on the lip of his water dish and he had to come out of it. My poor little crab baby never made it back in. I cried for weeks. No more crabs.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Petsmart is running the dollar a gallon sale now. Petco ended there's recently, at least in my area. The yardsale apps and Craigslist are great for finding tanks. I don't mind using a 40 for Mushu for now, but I'd like to build him a 4x2x2 once he puts on some size.

I don't think I'll ever have hermit crabs again. I had 3 when I was 12 or so, the 2 bigger ones tore each other apart and my tiny dude, Toby, was with me for a year. One day his shell got caught on the lip of his water dish and he had to come out of it. My poor little crab baby never made it back in. I cried for weeks. No more crabs.

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear that. [emoji22]
I can understand your pain. I've had 3 die since I've started. Still have 13! Anytime you want to see them just let me know! They are the funniest little creatures to watch! Lol

That would be an amazing enclosure for mushu. I'm jealous! Lol

Thank you for the heads up, I'm calling PetSmart right now!

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I'm sorry about your crab too. Now you guys need to post pics I feel like I'm missing out. Lol

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear that. [emoji22]
I can understand your pain. I've had 3 die since I've started. Still have 13! Anytime you want to see them just let me know! They are the funniest little creatures to watch! Lol

That would be an amazing enclosure for mushu. I'm jealous! Lol

Thank you for the heads up, I'm calling PetSmart right now!
Any time you wanted to post them, I'm sure a lot of people would find them interesting. We can make a thread for hermit crab pictures and BSing haha. And all live vicariously through you. Maybe someday I'll get another crab, or crabs. At the ripe age of 12, I almost guarantee I wasn't caring for them properly. At this moment, we're pretty much at max capacity with all of the recent rescues. Grand total is 15 snakes, 2 beardies, 3 Leopard geckos, 1 crested gecko, and 1 monitor if that guy pulls through. No more reptiles unless a rescue in dire need with no good homing options comes around.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Any time you wanted to post them, I'm sure a lot of people would find them interesting. We can make a thread for hermit crab pictures and BSing haha. And all live vicariously through you. Maybe someday I'll get another crab, or crabs. At the ripe age of 12, I almost guarantee I wasn't caring for them properly. At this moment, we're pretty much at max capacity with all of the recent rescues. Grand total is 15 snakes, 2 beardies, 3 Leopard geckos, 1 crested gecko, and 1 monitor if that guy pulls through. No more reptiles unless a rescue in dire need with no good homing options comes around.

Wow!!!!! That's great that you can do all that. I am impressed and inspired. The world needs more people like you out there. You truly are an angel.

You can live thru me with my crabs, no problem!
This is one of my favorites, I call it traffic jam! Lol

60347f561b9a456b82c764b7e130b078.jpg

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh my goodness! I didn't realize they could climb so well! They're like little monkey crabs!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh my goodness! I didn't realize they could climb so well! They're like little monkey crabs!

Yup! I've got 2 levels so that they can climb around. Every month we have to go in and do a big clean up and last week we added a new bag of dirt so they all decided to dig. Omg did they make a huge mess. We had to go in yesterday and clean up the mess. Lol

e42735ed2ca6b3e52917c4ee321d8a53.jpg

Latest posts