• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation Discussion

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's that time of the year where our lovely children start to go into brumation. Many members have never dealt with brumation, myself included, and some of us have. So instead of starting multiple threads with brumation concerns and questions, I thought we could put all of our questions, thoughts and experiences in one place. Brumation can be dealt with in multiple ways. Hopefully this thread can help with the initial panic that comes with your dragons first brumation period, and our more experienced members can help put everyone's mind at ease.

Has your dragon gone into brumation? If not, do you know what to look for and how you will handle it? If you have experience with brumation, what do you do?

I have an adult, but acquired her this summer, and haven't dealt with brumation. If she goes into a deep sleep with no bouts of activity I intend to drop her temps, keep the lights off, and wait for her to wake up. She has MBD though, so I'm not sure if I should go through a weekly wake up and warm up to give her calcium or not. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's that time of the year where our lovely children start to go into brumation. Many members have never dealt with brumation, myself included, and some of us have. So instead of starting multiple threads with brumation concerns and questions, I thought we could put all of our questions, thoughts and experiences in one place. Brumation can be dealt with in multiple ways. Hopefully this thread can help with the initial panic that comes with your dragons first brumation period, and our more experienced members can help put everyone's mind at ease.

Has your dragon gone into brumation? If not, do you know what to look for and how you will handle it? If you have experience with brumation, what do you do?

I have an adult, but acquired her this summer, and haven't dealt with brumation. If she goes into a deep sleep with no bouts of activity I intend to drop her temps, keep the lights off, and wait for her to wake up. She has MBD though, so I'm not sure if I should go through a weekly wake up and warm up to give her calcium or not. Thoughts?

Have you not read my post on brumation? I just did last week?

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh balls, you beat me to it? I've seen a ton of posts on it lately but didn't see a discussion post lol. I should have looked more thoroughly.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh balls, you beat me to it? I've seen a ton of posts on it lately but didn't see a discussion post lol. I should have looked more thoroughly.

I don't think it's labeled brumation. Let me go see if I can find it and post the link here.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran

I am the same as you, with regards to turning off the lights. This is what comes natural to them. So why stop them or try to stop them from doing what is in their DNA? As far as the calcium, I personally do not know as I've not dealt with MBD before. Can you call your vet and ask them what they would do? That's what I personally would do if I were in your shoes.

The only think I recommend is giving them a weekly bath. In the wild they bury down which helps them stay hydrated well we have no moisture in our enclosures and we do not want to add moisture. So in order for them to stay hydrated I will do a weekly bath. If they don't wake up just keep their head up. If they do wake up and eat, you have to make sure they poop. If they don't poop then the food will rot inside them and that can lead to all sorts of problems.

Also, for people who have not taken their pets to the vet. Please do this, as I can not stress this enough. If your BD goes into brumation and has parasites. The parasites will get a million times worse and could be fatal.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I did read that post! You saw 3 or more similar posts that day which sparked the idea for this thread. I figured if we condensed all of the information on brumation into one place with an obvious title, it might help everyone easily access information and ask questions all in one place without starting a ton of threads. And for individuals who have dragons going into brumation and don't know it, we can post the link to this thread for info instead of writing out the same information time and time again.

Weekly baths sound like a good idea. If my girl isnt totally down for the count I'll try to bump her temps and feed her some calcium dusted roaches here and there. I'd hate to see her levels drop again. I'll bring it up with the vet when I make her appt.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I did read that post! You saw 3 or more similar posts that day which sparked the idea for this thread. I figured if we condensed all of the information on brumation into one place with an obvious title, it might help everyone easily access information and ask questions all in one place without starting a ton of threads. And for individuals who have dragons going into brumation and don't know it, we can post the link to this thread for info instead of writing out the same information time and time again.

Weekly baths sound like a good idea. If my girl isnt totally down for the count I'll try to bump her temps and feed her some calcium dusted roaches here and there. I'd hate to see her levels drop again. I'll bring it up with the vet when I make her appt.

Sounds like a great idea!! It is a lot of information to type out each time.

Have you ever fed her a pinky? Those are loaded with calcium.

Thank you for having the idea to set this up!!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sounds like a great idea!! It is a lot of information to type out each time.

Have you ever fed her a pinky? Those are loaded with calcium.

Thank you for having the idea to set this up!!
I think I may try feeding her a pinky tonight. I only have frozen thaw, so she may not take it. If she doesn't, I'll have to try a live one.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I think I may try feeding her a pinky tonight. I only have frozen thaw, so she may not take it. If she doesn't, I'll have to try a live one.

I've only done 1 live one before. Hehehe

Another thought if you can handle it. Is you could maserate the pinky and put it in her slurry??

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I haven't had to do slurries since she started eating again. Although, if she needs calcium while in brumation and refuses to eat we'll be back on liquid sustenance again. I did blend up some live roaches before, which I felt horrible about. If the pinkies are dead already, I can't really feel guilty about that!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I haven't had to do slurries since she started eating again. Although, if she needs calcium while in brumation and refuses to eat we'll be back on liquid sustenance again. I did blend up some live roaches before, which I felt horrible about. If the pinkies are dead already, I can't really feel guilty about that!

Exactly!!! That's a great way to think about it!

We got the large dubia's yesterday locally and omg they are as big as the pinky we fed Wally. Their head is as big as the small dubias that Lacey eats! But Wally is only eating 8 at time instead of 50 medium ones!

My point to that is those creep me out, just trying to pick them up. I can't image trying to blend those up. Oh and they are so juicy he gets the juice all over the floor and his face!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Exactly!!! That's a great way to think about it!

We got the large dubia's yesterday locally and omg they are as big as the pinky we fed Wally. Their head is as big as the small dubias that Lacey eats! But Wally is only eating 8 at time instead of 50 medium ones!

My point to that is those creep me out, just trying to pick them up. I can't image trying to blend those up. Oh and they are so juicy he gets the juice all over the floor and his face!
I actually had my boyfriend put them in a container so all I had to do was dumps them in the blender with the baby food, greens and supplements that were mixed up. I don't touch the big ones, just the little ones, and I use a scoop for them. When I do feed big ones to Ruth, my bf puts a bunch in a container and I get them out with tongs. They're just too weird for me to touch them!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I actually had my boyfriend put them in a container so all I had to do was dumps them in the blender with the baby food, greens and supplements that were mixed up. I don't touch the big ones, just the little ones, and I use a scoop for them. When I do feed big ones to Ruth, my bf puts a bunch in a container and I get them out with tongs. They're just too weird for me to touch them!

That's what I do! I have Tony get them out of the colony container and I feed them to Wally with the Tongs! They are creepy! Lol

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That's what I do! I have Tony get them out of the colony container and I feed them to Wally with the Tongs! They are creepy! Lol
You have no idea how much better that makes me feel!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You have no idea how much better that makes me feel!

I was okay with the medium sized ones and I'm good with the teeny tiny ones - but these, No way am I going into the colony! The medium ones I had Tony get out for me too, unless he wasn't here. But now in the morning he will get 10 big ones ready for me and same for dinner. The ones Wally doesn't eat I dump back into the colony.

I've been feeding Lacey lunch now, since I did it that one day. She does really good for me. This way we both are interacting with both beardies and he's been doing lunch with Wally.

I'm glad I could make you feel better! [emoji854]

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
This is my 2nd brumation with Hef and he's down for 2 days then up for a day . He won't eat veggies but will eat a few worms every few days. I still turn his lights on everyday. Last year he went down in mid october and didn't eat drink or poop until mid march. I was freaking out. This year is less dramatic .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It sounds like he isn't sure what he wants to do. Definitely less stressful since you don't have to check and make sure they're still alive. Do you think keeping the lights on are keeping him from going into full brumation or do they brumation regardless of the conditions? I've never dealt with brumation...yet anyway.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It sounds like he isn't sure what he wants to do. Definitely less stressful since you don't have to check and make sure they're still alive. Do you think keeping the lights on are keeping him from going into full brumation or do they brumation regardless of the conditions? I've never dealt with brumation...yet anyway.

I've read that you are supposed to keep lights on for 8 hours at a lower temp. Just like in the outside world. But people are going to do whatever is best for them and their BD. [emoji846]

Latest posts