• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie Gulping

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Does she normally sit under the rock/bridge?

Tank is lovely!! Good job on all the fixes! Honestly her high temp could be a lot lower. If she is 4 years right? She should be at around 95-99F for hot temp/basking spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toothless733

Hatchling Dragon
I literally just set the tank up this way, it was different before. That is the first spot she went an hour ago, under the bridge. This is about the time she retreats for bed. For summer I have the lights on for 14 hours, but the rest of the year it's on for 12 because the sun goes down sooner. Is that ok? I can get a lower wattage spot. Its 75 watt right now, will a 60 do?

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would say the lights out time is perfect! As far as the watts that I'm not too sure. I just know the older they get the cooler they like it during the day. Let me do some checking into on that and get back to you, is that okay?

Now you do know when you move things around that that can cause a bit of stress. So if things are off (not eating) for a few days it's because of the moving things around. And that's okay. She just needs to get used to the new way.

Toothless733

Hatchling Dragon
Yes, I will wait for your reply on the temp, thank you! I do realize she might get stressed with a new layout. This is how I will keep it now, it is better for the temp gradient.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes, I will wait for your reply on the temp, thank you! I do realize she might get stressed with a new layout. This is how I will keep it now, it is better for the temp gradient.

Hi, sorry for the delay I'm dealing with soon personal step son issues! Anyways I want telling you to change things back. I was just letting you know that it might cause a bit of stress that's all. Just an FYI.

The 60 watt bulb should be just fine. I will keep checking into it once things calm down here. I'm assuming you will get the bulb tomorrow after work. So I have some time??

I think the new set up looks really good. I bet with the air flow and lights out she will get good sleep tonight!! Good job on getting things changed around!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Okay so I looked at your measurements and your set up is exactly like mine except for the height. Mine is 24 and yours is 12 so I'm going to say that the 60 watt bulb should be fine to get your temps between 90-99 anywhere in that range would be great for a 4yr old beardie.

I hope she has a good night tonight.

Toothless733

Hatchling Dragon
Seems like she did great, she looks happy! I get up before the rest of my household and get to work by 6am so I didn't see Cinnamon this morning but my husband said she ate some greens. Got home for lunch break and the pic included is where she was :) I will be making a trip to the pet store right after work to get the 60 watt bulb. Spot temp says 103 right now... too hot!
20160803_121349.jpg

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Seems like she did great, she looks happy! I get up before the rest of my household and get to work by 6am so I didn't see Cinnamon this morning but my husband said she ate some greens. Got home for lunch break and the pic included is where she was :) I will be making a trip to the pet store right after work to get the 60 watt bulb. Spot temp says 103 right now... too hot!View attachment 15137

Yeah that's too hot for an adult! Cinnamon looks GREAT!! I'm so happy these changes are working! I could just reach in the picture and give her a cuddle!!! You better give Cinnamon a cuddle for me!

Has she been doing anymore gulping???

Toothless733

Hatchling Dragon
Yes, she is still gulping but I'm sure that's the type of thing that might take a week or so to clear up. Fingers crossed.
She'll get tons of cuddles when I get home for sure!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
60266ca9e750600c6c4a8b669d79ccef.jpg

d99dc377d040775e732198374c176e7c.jpg

cecd46aa9fe79ffb172e845579778654.jpg

Here is Wally climbing the ladder. I missed him getting on it as I walked out to get my phone to get a picture of him sitting on top of his salad bowl eating! Now that was too cute. But these are just for you! Enjoy!!

Fingers and toes are crossed!!!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Awe, thanks! He is a cutie. Love his colors!

Awe thank you.

So I've been doing some reading on the gulping. Just a few more questions, sorry…

On her poop is the urate, the white part, hard or soft?
Does she sleep standing up?
Does she have any mucus in her nose, eyes or mouth?
Is this the first time she has done the gulping?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure things out for you.

Toothless733

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for trying to help!

The urate is usually semi-soft.
She does not sleep standing up.
She does not have any mucus anywhere that I've seen.
Yes, this is the first time for the gulping.

I did some reading too and it sounds like it could be respiratory, maybe there was too much humidity in her tank with it being all closed up, getting misted every day and the large water bowl being in the tank. I am hoping with time it will just clear up. Other than that she seems to be doing better than she was a few days ago. I will keep an eye to see if she starts gulping less.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If the urate is soft then she's not dehydrated - that's good!

Sleeping NOT standing up - that's good!

No mucus - that's good!

I do not think she has respiratory infection yet as she shows no signs of it. I think the gulping was her telling you to help me and since you acted so quickly I think she will get better fast! I totally agree with you on the high humidity but with all the changes things should get better. Like you said keep an eye on her cuz it might take a few days.

One thing I wanted to tell you with lowering her temps:

After you lower them, the next time she poops can you tell me if her food is being digested? Meaning there are no insect pieces or veggies? I check the poop with a toothpick cuz I was stupid with Wally and gave him a superworm for a treat and after I did that he refused to eat his dubia's or BSFL's so like a fool I fed him super worms for a staple. Well…… every poop had so much undigested food it was gross. I held out for 2 days and now he's back to eating his dubia's and BSFL's. Needless to say I had to pick apart his poop! Yuck yuck yuck

Sorry for going off topic. I just want to make sure with the lower temps that she's getting enough heat to digest her food.

Toothless733

Hatchling Dragon
All good news :)

Hopefully she poops within the next 2 days because we are leaving for vacation (going to Disney in Orlando!), I am having a friend check in on her daily. I don't want to tell them to poke thru her poop.... yuck.

Oh, what is BSFL? Not familiar with the abbreviation.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
BSFL's are calci worms or Phoenix worms - they are THE BEST for calcium. No need to dust and they can stop and reverse MBD!!! Wally only gets BSFL's and dubia's as a staple cuz those 2 are the best of the best. Dubia's are like steak to us and are easy to digest. Especially after what I just went thru with those damn super worms. You should have seen the pieces that were undigested. Gross!! I felt sorry for him but it's all he would eat and like I said I kept giving in to him.

BSFL's I think are fly larvae - I think. I know they are the worms in the compost pile. We just got a new shipment from a new person and she packed them in cow manure! We are desperately trying to find a way to clean them without killing them. It smells BAD!

Orlando!! Woo hoo!! Sounds like fun!! Have a wonderful time!!

Toothless733

Hatchling Dragon
Ok, I do have calci worms at home. Where do you get your dubai's? I have not tried those yet, my husband is against having roaches in the house for some reason... I will just have to get some and not tell him, he wont' know, ha ha.

Hey thanks, we are gonna sweat our butts off!!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The thing about Dubia's is they are not like the house roach. They don't breed with other roaches and the feeders that you buy are not breeding age. You have to specifically buy breeding age dubia's. If they would get out they will die almost immediately as they need heat to survive. They do not climb. I've got a video of him eating but it won't let me post it. I will take a new video tonight at dinner. They really are the best and when I read that the BSFL's can stop and reverse MBD that sold me! I hate roaches too but we do these crazy things for our babies!

Yes you will! Maybe you can sweat off a few pounds for me, please!! Lol

Latest posts