• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon dont grow.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So I got 2 breaded dragons at the se time 2 different places. One is huge the other one doesn't grow hes eats hes active hes lovable but is only 7inchs around 6 months old. The other one is huge.. I have proper Temps and lights. Could it be the bread? These guys might be a month apart.
Hi; congrats on your beardies. We reacue and rehome. Please make sure they are housed in different tanks otherwise one suffers without eating or little eating limited light and UVb & stress u can never hoise 2 on the same tank. Stunted growth is a result of a small tank get a 90 gallon or bigger tank & separate them ASAp. The 6mnth old needs proteins 2-3 times per day; crickets & Dubias are best never ever do mealworms. The bigger one proteins 1-2 times a week. Both always are to be given the greens & veggies daily. Make sure u have the zoomed heat lamp for heat and the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for uvb. It’s a long tubular bulb it should cover 70 percent of the tank. Both need to remain on for 10-12 hours in the winter more like 10 & 12-14 hours more like 14 in the summer. Never use coiled or colored bulbs ever and at nite pure dark and quiet. Also the bigger Beardie needs a temp of 95-97 and the 6mnth old a teeny bit higher like 97-98 until he reaches 9mnths then u can do 95-97. During the day turn on the tv they love to watch soft mellow shows; no violence. Keep the tanks super duper clean they like poop removed immediately & use paper towels or white terry cloths as substrate; never use sand they ingest it.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
He is the one the breeder said burned his eyes by a too hot lamp being left on for three days while he vacationed. I was told to spray his face a lot to moisten the eyes & he would be fine. grrr
I bought him bcuz I felt bad for him & another that's only a few weeks old.
If only I were rich so I could rescue them all.
My first & last reptile expo. I'm still bothered by the many adults bent in half in tiny plastic cups with no way of stretching, no warmth, no water & all placed side by side.
Horrid & extremely extremely sad.
Should have someone of authority walking around ensuring these reptiles are being treated humanely. It was traumatizing for me & can't stop thinking about the poor babies.
No animal deserves to be treated that way but especially dragons who are just special in every way.
Call the guy and tell him he cannot hoise all those in a 10 gallon. And call animal control

C.vosburgh89

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi; congrats on your beardies. We reacue and rehome. Please make sure they are housed in different tanks otherwise one suffers without eating or little eating limited light and UVb & stress u can never hoise 2 on the same tank. Stunted growth is a result of a small tank get a 90 gallon or bigger tank & separate them ASAp. The 6mnth old needs proteins 2-3 times per day; crickets & Dubias are best never ever do mealworms. The bigger one proteins 1-2 times a week. Both always are to be given the greens & veggies daily. Make sure u have the zoomed heat lamp for heat and the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for uvb. It’s a long tubular bulb it should cover 70 percent of the tank. Both need to remain on for 10-12 hours in the winter more like 10 & 12-14 hours more like 14 in the summer. Never use coiled or colored bulbs ever and at nite pure dark and quiet. Also the bigger Beardie needs a temp of 95-97 and the 6mnth old a teeny bit higher like 97-98 until he reaches 9mnths then u can do 95-97. During the day turn on the tv they love to watch soft mellow shows; no violence. Keep the tanks super duper clean they like poop removed immediately & use paper towels or white terry cloths as substrate; never use sand they ingest it.
They r in separate tanks always have been lil dude is in a 20gal right now.. big guy is in 120gal. Clean cages daily fresh water and greens daily. Digital therm used for tanks. Lighting is t8 lights. Non coil. I have seen him grow a lil over the past week big guy shed and a week later sheds again.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They r in separate tanks always have been lil dude is in a 20gal right now.. big guy is in 120gal. Clean cages daily fresh water and greens daily. Digital therm used for tanks. Lighting is t8 lights. Non coil. I have seen him grow a lil over the past week big guy shed and a week later sheds again.
Just make sure the T 8 distance is 6-8 inches directly above your basking decor piece -- and you change that bulb out in 6 months I recommend 5-- glad to hear hes doing good

Kellyf1958

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I got 2 breaded dragons at the se time 2 different places. One is huge the other one doesn't grow hes eats hes active hes lovable but is only 7inchs around 6 months old. The other one is huge.. I have proper Temps and lights. Could it be the bread? These guys might be a month apart.
Wow I wouldn't begin to have an answer. Do you have them on the same tank? Seems stunted poor thing.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
He cannot be in a 20 gallon that’s way too small. Please get him a 40gallon or bigger asap. The uvb is it a long tubular light it should be the Reptisun 10.0 T5 the T8 is ok but T5 is better needs to be replaced every 6 Mnths religiously. And for Heat the zoomed basking bulb. The 20gallon is for babies up to 3mnths old. Buy a 40 gallon and the doors open in the front it s a great yank from Petsmart it’s $170 with the club card discount which u cans sign up for free then when he turns 9-10 months u can re yen the tank Amd buy a 120 gallon one. But he cannot remain in a 20 gallon at his age that’s ways way way too small.

coleslaw4dinner

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got a beardie that was 7 months old, and was pretty much as big as yours. Honestly.. he was just a late grower. He's now on month 8 and has had a huge growth spurt. Is yours shedding regularly? That can be a big indication. I also, very carefully, fed mine bigger dubias (packs a protein punch!), by cutting them in half and cutting the chitin (around their heads) off, as to avoid impaction. I know it's gross and alot of work, but 3 weeks of doing it got him to a good size. Here's his growth in just 1 month:

dr_p.png

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I got a beardie that was 7 months old, and was pretty much as big as yours. Honestly.. he was just a late grower. He's now on month 8 and has had a huge growth spurt. Is yours shedding regularly? That can be a big indication. I also, very carefully, fed mine bigger dubias (packs a protein punch!), by cutting them in half and cutting the chitin (around their heads) off, as to avoid impaction. I know it's gross and alot of work, but 3 weeks of doing it got him to a good size. Here's his growth in just 1 month:

View attachment 27498
U don’t wanna fast grow a Beardie. Also that feeding bowl is way too high & remove the orange bottled pellets of food that’s horrible to give a Beardie. Do mustard/collard greens, dandelions & yellow squash, butternut squash, green beans & snap peasz Get a reptile feeding dish that is lower, that dish is way too high and get him a fleece blanket to lounge on and a pillow to perch up on. Are u breeding?? Mine sheds normal and you need to feed him crickets & small Dubias. At His age he needs proteins 2-3 times a day plus the plate of fresh geeens/veggies; then we he turns 9mnths go down to 2protein feedings per day and the veggies and greens are an always for life And after a year one protein feeding. Per day 10-15 large crickets pet day. Mine are in 120 gallon tanks. Please get a bigger tank it’s cruel and not good husbandry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11

coleslaw4dinner

Bearded Dragon Egg
U don’t wanna fast grow a Beardie. Also that feeding bowl is way too high & remove the orange bottled pellets of food that’s horrible to give a Beardie. Do mustard/collard greens, dandelions & yellow squash, butternut squash, green beans & snap peasz Get a reptile feeding dish that is lower, that dish is way too high and get him a fleece blanket to lounge on and a pillow to perch up on. Are u breeding?? Mine sheds normal and you need to feed him crickets & small Dubias. At His age he needs proteins 2-3 times a day plus the plate of fresh geeens/veggies; then we he turns 9mnths go down to 2protein feedings per day and the veggies and greens are an always for life And after a year one protein feeding. Per day 10-15 large crickets pet day. Mine are in 120 gallon tanks. Please get a bigger tank it’s cruel and not good husbandry.
Goodness, lots of assumptions here. First of all, my tank is 75 gallons, more than enough. Secondly, those "orange bottled pellets of food" are sweet peppers, which is very much an approved food. Third, I'm not breeding. There's also no such thing as "fast growing a beardie". They grow per genetics, and honestly I'm convinced that the breeder I got mine from wasn't feeding him right. I also had tried a blanket but he didn't take any liking to it.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Goodness, lots of assumptions here. First of all, my tank is 75 gallons, more than enough. Secondly, those "orange bottled pellets of food" are sweet peppers, which is very much an approved food. Third, I'm not breeding. There's also no such thing as "fast growing a beardie". They grow per genetics, and honestly I'm convinced that the breeder I got mine from wasn't feeding him right. I also had tried a blanket but he didn't take any liking to it.
Nice to hear. Please remember u cannot stick to only one kind of veggie; peppers are once in a whirl not an everyday feeder. And a Beardie needs a plate of greens & veggies everyday alongside proteins. The best everyday ones are: mustard greens, dandelions, collard greens, yellow squash, green beans & snap peas. Also yellow squash has tons of calcium;)

C.vosburgh89

Bearded Dragon Egg
He cannot be in a 20 gallon that’s way too small. Please get him a 40gallon or bigger asap. The uvb is it a long tubular light it should be the Reptisun 10.0 T5 the T8 is ok but T5 is better needs to be replaced every 6 Mnths religiously. And for Heat the zoomed basking bulb. The 20gallon is for babies up to 3mnths old. Buy a 40 gallon and the doors open in the front it s a great yank from Petsmart it’s $170 with the club card discount which u cans sign up for free then when he turns 9-10 months u can re yen the tank Amd buy a 120 gallon one. But he cannot remain in a 20 gallon at his age that’s ways way way too small.
As of right now he's so small a 20hallon is huge to him I tried bigger and he was very paranoid acting window surfing constantly and became scared.. I love my breaded and I will get him bigger once he needs it as I did with my other guy.

C.vosburgh89

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is little dude and his growth in about a month.. what do u think is he growing?right side pics are today

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210630-183441_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20210630-183441_Samsung Notes.jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 6

Krystal0

Juvenile Dragon
He grows he is fine + it takes time for bearded dragons to grow

Latest posts