• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

100 gallon tank for a baby beardie? (2 months)

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sadie.....STOP acting like you know it all and feeding wrong info please. Do you work with reptile vets & Rescue and Rehome??? NO; I do, please dont overide me!! Please. CARROTS is a NO in general for all beardies. They contain Vit A which is Toxic for them so should NEVER be used as a staple Veggie. Sadieyou dont want to learn or feed the right things cuz you are being ignorant and cheap. SO, let your beardie suffer but allow me to help others. GOOGLE "Bearded Dragon Care 101" and READ the STAPLE Veggies & Greens; those are the BEST. Then, theres ocassional and the rarely and Never to feed Section; STICK to the STAPLE GREENS & VEGGIES. But as babies up to 3months old feed LOTS & LOTS of Protein alongside a nice dish of 2-3veggies/greens. Protein is 5 times a day; Smalll crickets and Small Dubia Roaches only & Feed till they stop eating, in 10 minute increments 5times a day. Also, dust them once a day in calcium 5times per week. Then at 3mnths -12months; you feed them 3times per day with the protein and always a big plate of veggies/greens in the cage so they have access to nibble on it, one in the morning and fresh one late afternoon. But, the feeding 3times a day is the protein always. Then 12months-15months; Twice a Day the proteins and always the plate of greens/veggies 2/day fresh. The last feeding keep the lights on for 2hourrs before placing him to bed; food needs to digest.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Is it a no to carrots just while he is a baby since they are so high in vitamin A? I've done quite a bit of research what they can eat (regarding adults though because this is my first baby, so ill need to do more.) But carrots are always on the "good" list as long as they are fed in moderation (like most things.) I did see that brussell sprouts are very high in goitrogen so I'll stay clear of that. Thanks for your input :)
NO carrots ever, you can give the crickets carrots, greens that are staple ones. GOOGLE "Bearded Dragon Care 101" and READ the STAPLE Veggies & Greens; those are the BEST. Then, theres ocassional and the rarely and Never to feed Section; STICK to the STAPLE GREENS & VEGGIES. But as babies up to 3months old feed LOTS & LOTS of Protein alongside a nice dish of 2-3veggies/greens, one in the morning and fresh one late afternoon. And the Protein is 5 times a day; Small crickets and Small Dubia Roaches only & Feed till they stop eating, in 10 minute increments 5times a day. Also, dust them once a day in calcium 5times per week. Then at 3mnths -12months; you feed them 3times per day with the protein and always a the 2 big plate of veggies/greens in the cage so they have access to nibble on it, one in the morning and fresh one late afternoon. But, the feeding 3times a day is the protein always. Then 12months-15months; Twice a Day the proteins and always the plate of greens/veggies 2/day fresh. The last feeding keep the lights on for 2hourrs before placing him to bed; food needs to digest. after 1.5 years; feed proteins 20-25 crickets a day or dubia roaches and as treats Super & Hornworms; only after 1.5 yrs of age because its rough on the tummy and thats as a treat cuz they are high in fat.

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
@Julee1971 - You seem to have a lot of bearded dragon knowledge, and we're glad you're willing to share with us, but please try to be a little more polite.

We encourage everyone to feel comfortable and to participate. Rather than jumping on what you deem to be incorrect information, try to explain why you feel the incorrect information was given.

Please settle down and try to be more polite.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
@Julee1971 - You seem to have a lot of bearded dragon knowledge, and we're glad you're willing to share with us, but please try to be a little more polite.

We encourage everyone to feel comfortable and to participate. Rather than jumping on what you deem to be incorrect information, try to explain why you feel the incorrect information was given.

Please settle down and try to be more polite.
I apologize Yvonne and thank you it’s jist I’m tryin to give all the best knowledge for everyone’s Beardie and when someone jumps in ans is guiding a bit off track; I have a bit of an issue:)

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, since this seems to be a very debated and controversial post, I thought that I would give my opinion and reasons why I think this. I think that bearded dragons can be kept in as large of a tank as possible. The main problem that people have is that they don't decorate the cage enough and the bearded dragon can feel vulnerable.

Now with that out of the way, about carrots. I think that carrots are just fine in moderation. Carrots in moderation can be very good for bearded dragons as it gives them vitamin A. Of course you don't want to give too many because too much vitamin A can be bad. I sometimes give my bearded dragons shredded carrots and they really like it. Here is a very helpful article as well that goes into more depth.

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
Hello, since this seems to be a very debated and controversial post, I thought that I would give my opinion and reasons why I think this. I think that bearded dragons can be kept in as large of a tank as possible. The main problem that people have is that they don't decorate the cage enough and the bearded dragon can feel vulnerable.

Now with that out of the way, about carrots. I think that carrots are just fine in moderation. Carrots in moderation can be very good for bearded dragons as it gives them vitamin A. Of course you don't want to give too many because too much vitamin A can be bad. I sometimes give my bearded dragons shredded carrots and they really like it. Here is a very helpful article as well that goes into more depth.

I appreciate the input :) when I did feed carrots they were always shredded, cut up, and mixed in with greens. About once a week or 2 but that was for an adult. The tank will be very decorative and filled up with 2 levels :) thank you!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I appreciate the input :) when I did feed carrots they were always shredded, cut up, and mixed in with greens. About once a week or 2 but that was for an adult. The tank will be very decorative and filled up with 2 levels :) thank you!
Hi; you don’t want to clutter the cage too much when he’s little up to 7mnths it’s ok after that buy a 120 gallon tank for him as an adult after he reaches a year old from ZenHbitats and they have the best substrate it’s like a Padded matt for $34 and just feed Carrots to the insects alongside other greens and stick to the main staple ones I told u.rut now u need calcium and proper uvb and lots of protein!!alongsgde the greens and veggies of course

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
Hi; you don’t want to clutter the cage too much when he’s little up to 7mnths it’s ok after that buy a 120 gallon tank for him as an adult after he reaches a year old from ZenHbitats and they have the best substrate it’s like a Padded matt for $34 and just feed Carrots to the insects alongside other greens and stick to the main staple ones I told u.rut now u need calcium and proper uvb and lots of protein!!alongsgde the greens and veggies of course
I just added a photo of what his tank looks like right now but haven't got the lights set up yet (baby isn't here until thursday) there will be 1 more smaller hammovk im the back right corner but do you think that's good or too cluttered? There is still quite a bit of room to walk around too. Also I got another uvb. It's the 15" t-5 reptisun but its only the 5.0. But it will be mounted inside the tank alongside the 22" 10.0 and takes up 70% of the tank. The 10.0 is in the main hang out area and the other one will be placed directly in the middle leaving room at the end of the tank where he can get away from it. Also has hiding spots.

Attachments

• 20200830_155115.jpg
    20200830_155115.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 18

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just added a photo of what his tank looks like right now but haven't got the lights set up yet (baby isn't here until thursday) there will be 1 more smaller hammovk im the back right corner but do you think that's good or too cluttered? There is still quite a bit of room to walk around too. Also I got another uvb. It's the 15" t-5 reptisun but its only the 5.0. But it will be mounted inside the tank alongside the 22" 10.0 and takes up 70% of the tank. The 10.0 is in the main hang out area and the other one will be placed directly in the middle leaving room at the end of the tank where he can get away from it. Also has hiding spots.
[/QU
The 5.0 is equivalent to a T 8 your better off w/ one good UVB so the 22" is the best one -- it needs to be either inside the tank if the screen on top is a fine mesh and approx 12-15 inches from basking decor -- if its a wide holed screen like a dime it can be on top of the screen w/ basking decor 8-10 inches directly underneath -- the substrate is tile? If looks really smooth -- if it is its going to be too slippery and you want tile with some texture slated but not real coarse -- too coarse will be too rough on the belly -- it doesnt look to cluttered either you do want floor space -- hammocks are hard to get basking temps on so make sure you have a digital probe thermometer --- you will need to place it where he sits to bask and get a temp after it has sat there for like 10 minutes -- I can show you a piece of tile I am using I got it from Home Depot -- if you would like to see it

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
How old is the Beardie? A baby? Then the tank is good. But, its very dark it needs to be light and bright; did you order from amazon the T5 10.) because the 5.0 Does ZERO to little UVB. Go to PEtssmart or PEtco and buy the rigtht length 10.0 T8 and use it for a while till the proper one arrives on amazon & then return it. Those petstores sell some 10.0's and only T8 but beter than what u have unless its coming within the week, then u should be ok. U need the T5 10.0 REPTISUN & place the Heat lamp on the right if that's your hot side above his basking/hammock so he can get heat on the rock and on the hammock. And Where is the 100 Watt Zoomed Clear basking bulb? I dont see it. U need the ZOOMED digtial thermoeter and place the probe on the rock and then on the hammock to get the rite temp; a baby needs 105-108; 105 will do and 8inches away or soo and when u get the reptisun the hammock nedds to be lowered so hes 12inches away from the correct UVB cuz that one is intense for now he needs to be closer cuz thats barely any UVB. Also, the humidity, needs to stay between 30-40 always. It should NEVER be higher than 40, if so open windows or run the AC. Buy the Thrive Digital black dial and place on the hot side.

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
How old is the Beardie? A baby? Then the tank is good. But, its very dark it needs to be light and bright; did you order from amazon the T5 10.) because the 5.0 Does ZERO to little UVB. Go to PEtssmart or PEtco and buy the rigtht length 10.0 T8 and use it for a while till the proper one arrives on amazon & then return it. Those petstores sell some 10.0's and only T8 but beter than what u have unless its coming within the week, then u should be ok. U need the T5 10.0 REPTISUN & place the Heat lamp on the right if that's your hot side above his basking/hammock so he can get heat on the rock and on the hammock. And Where is the 100 Watt Zoomed Clear basking bulb? I dont see it. U need the ZOOMED digtial thermoeter and place the probe on the rock and then on the hammock to get the rite temp; a baby needs 105-108; 105 will do and 8inches away or soo and when u get the reptisun the hammock nedds to be lowered so hes 12inches away from the correct UVB cuz that one is intense for now he needs to be closer cuz thats barely any UVB. Also, the humidity, needs to stay between 30-40 always. It should NEVER be higher than 40, if so open windows or run the AC. Buy the Thrive Digital black dial and place on the hot side.
I said in my last response that the lights aren't set up yet which would be why its dark and you don't see any lights. I also already have the UVB you are talking about and the other one is going in the tank along side it. I can get 2 of the 10.0 but it would take up the entire tank, same with the 48". This takes up 70%. I do understand is not as intense as the 10.0 but my theory is since its mounted inside the tank its closer to where it needs to be and doesn't have anything filtering out the rays. Though, I can return it and get 2 of the 10.0 but again, he can't really get away from the rays if I do that unless he hides. I also have the basking lights you are talking about, they just are not set up at the moment because I've been working on the tank and the baby isn't here yet. He is 2.5 months old.

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
The 5.0 would be alongside the 10.0 and they are mounted inside the tank so nothing blocking rays. I can get 2 of the 10.0 instead but it qould take up the entire tank and I wanted him to be able to get away from the rays. They didn't have the 15" in the 10.0. The substrate is from a bearded dragon breeder and it has texture:) i have the zoomed digital thermometer at both ends of the tank. 1 near the basking area & 1 at the cool side of tank.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I said in my last response that the lights aren't set up yet which would be why its dark and you don't see any lights. I also already have the UVB you are talking about and the other one is going in the tank along side it. I can get 2 of the 10.0 but it would take up the entire tank, same with the 48". This takes up 70%. I do understand is not as intense as the 10.0 but my theory is since its mounted inside the tank its closer to where it needs to be and doesn't have anything filtering out the rays. Though, I can return it and get 2 of the 10.0 but again, he can't really get away from the rays if I do that unless he hides. I also have the basking lights you are talking about, they just are not set up at the moment because I've been working on the tank and the baby isn't here yet. He is 2.5 months old.
Get the 10.0; 2 of them is fine and place a little soft towel on his hammock so when he wants out of the uvb he can go under the hammock;) also is it the T8? They seek 10.0 T8 at perstores so yes get 2of those because T5 is worthless honestly. u can order the correct Reptisun; one long one T5 10.0 from amazon;) u are doing gr8 tho. And u only need one basking light 100watt for a 40 gallon place it on the right side that looks like the Hot appt. Anything u buy save the box u can return the stores are gr8.

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
Get the 10.0; 2 of them is fine and place a little soft towel on his hammock so when he wants out of the uvb he can go under the hammock;) also is it the T8? They seek 10.0 T8 at perstores so yes get 2of those because T5 is worthless honestly. u can order the correct Reptisun; one long one T5 10.0 from amazon;) u are doing gr8 tho. And u only need one basking light 100watt for a 40 gallon place it on the right side that looks like the Hot appt. Anything u buy save the box u can return the stores are gr8.
I bought it off Amazon and it is the 10.0. I learned the pet store struggle with my old beardie lol I'll return the other one and get another of the 10.0's :) I have the 150w basking bulb and 150w che on his basking side so the temps are hot enough and plan to put a 75w basking bulb on the cool side because it stays around 73 without anything and I didn't think that was warm enough? And I was going to do the basking bulb instead of another che just so there's a bit more light on the cool end too otherwise its kind of darker than I'd like.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I bought it off Amazon and it is the 10.0. I learned the pet store struggle with my old beardie lol I'll return the other one and get another of the 10.0's :) I have the 150w basking bulb and 150w che on his basking side so the temps are hot enough and plan to put a 75w basking bulb on the cool side because it stays around 73 without anything and I didn't think that was warm enough? And I was going to do the basking bulb instead of another che just so there's a bit more light on the cool end too otherwise its kind of darker than I'd like.
NoNoNo; DONOT place soo many bulbs. Take away the 150 watt Che whatever that is and cold side should be 75 or soo and middle of tank should be about 80 or so. Also a 150watt bulb can be deadly!! What’s he size of your enclosure length height and depth? To make it brighter u need the T5 10.0 I told u already and the ZooMed brand basking bulb that’s it. Like this pic; c how bright my tank is? The Reptisun 10.0 T5 is only online & at pet stores they carry only a T8 & it has to be Reptisun brand that’s it and the ZooMed basking bulb is only $14. If u have a 40’gallom tank the 150 watt is overkill. Just get a 100 watt and get a higher basking platform there are so many for $14-25 only. The platform should be 10-12inches from the heat lamp and u need a 5.5 Dome Holder for the lamp that’s it. Remove the che; u are making it way too hot for him & if he can’t bask; he can’t eat or poop or take in vitamin D or absorb his calcium; look at my pic it’s a long uvb in the bag and a resting log in the middle which mine use 30prckt of the time to be perched and cool down and the hot side a hammock in back corner; placed low so it’s 12inches below the uvb and the heat lamp in front of the hammock on the right side Also above the basking platform and he can bask and be hot and lay in hammock and be warm that’s where they spend 80 prcnt of their time. If your tank is 24 inches high it’s easy if tank is lower get a light raiser to bring the heat lamp higher or lower to regulate the temp and get it correct it’s very simple. No lights at nite ever and no colored bulbs.

Attachments

• C518C38F-1914-4106-8D53-7932D008CEF2.jpeg
    C518C38F-1914-4106-8D53-7932D008CEF2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
NoNoNo; DONOT place soo many bulbs. Take away the 150 watt Che whatever that is and cold side should be 75 or soo and middle of tank should be about 80 or so. Also a 150watt bulb can be deadly!! What’s he size of your enclosure length height and depth? To make it brighter u need the T5 10.0 I told u already and the ZooMed brand basking bulb that’s it. Like this pic; c how bright my tank is? The Reptisun 10.0 T5 is only online & at pet stores they carry only a T8 & it has to be Reptisun brand that’s it and the ZooMed basking bulb is only $14. If u have a 40’gallom tank the 150 watt is overkill. Just get a 100 watt and get a higher basking platform there are so many for $14-25 only. The platform should be 10-12inches from the heat lamp and u need a 5.5 Dome Holder for the lamp that’s it. Remove the che; u are making it way too hot for him & if he can’t bask; he can’t eat or poop or take in vitamin D or absorb his calcium; look at my pic it’s a long uvb in the bag and a resting log in the middle which mine use 30prckt of the time to be perched and cool down and the hot side a hammock in back corner; placed low so it’s 12inches below the uvb and the heat lamp in front of the hammock on the right side Also above the basking platform and he can bask and be hot and lay in hammock and be warm that’s where they spend 80 prcnt of their time. If your tank is 24 inches high it’s easy if tank is lower get a light raiser to bring the heat lamp higher or lower to regulate the temp and get it correct it’s very simple. No lights at nite ever and no colored bulbs.
Here are more pics cold is on the left a low basking platform, his food/water bowl and in the middle a fake log it’s $8 at Petsmart they love it; they cool down on the middle a lot. And on the right is my Hot Side with hammock in the back and basking platform in the front for my younger one he gets the tree platform cuz they like to climb and some soft dog/cat toy cushioned pillows. Look at he pic ans replicate. For my oldest one the uvb covers the whole tank because she had MBD which I cured her and jsit orderd a bigger tank. But uvb covering 70 prcnt is best. Spend the xtra dollars and get one long uvb 10.0 T5 Reptisun and replace that uvb religiously every 6months. Clean and spacious and able to roam.

Attachments

• 2DEDFF24-4F40-4068-95F3-8AA1EB0ABB26.jpeg
    2DEDFF24-4F40-4068-95F3-8AA1EB0ABB26.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • F303CA92-02F1-45B2-961A-6D686AB45A2A.jpeg
    F303CA92-02F1-45B2-961A-6D686AB45A2A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 6DB41110-A5EE-4282-A4F8-366EB61E7704.png
    6DB41110-A5EE-4282-A4F8-366EB61E7704.png
    4 MB · Views: 9

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Here is another article basically it’s simple: NO carrots or Kale!! Read this:
17E24FE2-DB1C-404F-BFB5-3D168DE90201.png

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Here is another article basically it’s simple: NO carrots or Kale!! Read this:
View attachment 23378
So... I see you're trying to help, and you are. But all I can think about is the fact you're saying no carrots or kale at all. That is not true. If you even read the actual article you posted, you would see it's okay to feed them carrots or kale, or an entire host of other items, occasionally.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Thank you so much! I give my bearded dragons carrots all the time. And I'm trying to tell somebody, that they're not going to be the death of your dragon if you give him/her a few.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So... I see you're trying to help, and you are. But all I can think about is the fact you're saying no carrots or kale at all. That is not true. If you even read the actual article you posted, you would see it's okay to feed them carrots or kale, or an entire host of other items, occasionally.
Occasionally Yes on carrots but It has vitamin A which is toxic; Kale is high in Oxalates which is bad and Spinach is a never it binds to calcium. Why not stick to he staple everyday ones.

Latest posts