• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

MaeBell16

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I am working on getting my heat and light where I want them in a newly built enclosure and I am working with an unfamiliar thermostat. I am using the ZooMed ReptiTemp digital thermostat since I had access to one from a friend and wanted my stacked enclosures to match. The one I have set up so far is the brand new one.
5328861.jpeg

My enclosure is 4x2x2 and I am using ceramic heat externally above the mesh top. I currently have 2 150watt ceramic heat emitters on the warm side, one is on 24/7 and one is on the thermostat. I am working to see if these will be enough but the issue I am seeing is the accuracy of the device.

Out of curiosity, I checked the enclosure with a heat gun I use for my ball pythons and found that the heat in the area of the probe is reading roughly 10 degrees higher with the heat gun than the probe is reporting. I tried moving the probe under the other emitter and verifying the device and cable were in solid condition but those readings were consistent.

I was curious if anyone has experience with this device and if there is any way to adjust the probe to read more accurately? If not, I will just temp it a few more times and note the discrepant amount then set my controller to whatever number will make the REAL temperature be a healthy basking temperature for my girl. It is just frustrating to have a digital screen displaying a temperature outside the optimal range constantly even if I know it is just because the probe is incorrect.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Margaret, Belle, and Dovah

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! I am working on getting my heat and light where I want them in a newly built enclosure and I am working with an unfamiliar thermostat. I am using the ZooMed ReptiTemp digital thermostat since I had access to one from a friend and wanted my stacked enclosures to match. The one I have set up so far is the brand new one.
View attachment 33523

My enclosure is 4x2x2 and I am using ceramic heat externally above the mesh top. I currently have 2 150watt ceramic heat emitters on the warm side, one is on 24/7 and one is on the thermostat. I am working to see if these will be enough but the issue I am seeing is the accuracy of the device.

Out of curiosity, I checked the enclosure with a heat gun I use for my ball pythons and found that the heat in the area of the probe is reading roughly 10 degrees higher with the heat gun than the probe is reporting. I tried moving the probe under the other emitter and verifying the device and cable were in solid condition but those readings were consistent.

I was curious if anyone has experience with this device and if there is any way to adjust the probe to read more accurately? If not, I will just temp it a few more times and note the discrepant amount then set my controller to whatever number will make the REAL temperature be a healthy basking temperature for my girl. It is just frustrating to have a digital screen displaying a temperature outside the optimal range constantly even if I know it is just because the probe is incorrect.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Margaret, Belle, and Dovah
Ceramic heat emitters are good for night time heat and should not be used as a basking bulb they do not give UVA like a solid bright white basking bulb does- you need a good basking bulb that keeps surface basking temps of 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- for a 6 months old and up dragon- one good long tube fixture NO coils - I can post links for 3 good uvb's- as far as the repti temp I have no experience w/ them and use digital probe thermometers found at PetSmart or on line- you will also need a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall of the tank

MaeBell16

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ceramic heat emitters are good for night time heat and should not be used as a basking bulb they do not give UVA like a solid bright white basking bulb does- you need a good basking bulb that keeps surface basking temps of 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- for a 6 months old and up dragon- one good long tube fixture NO coils - I can post links for 3 good uvb's- as far as the repti temp I have no experience w/ them and use digital probe thermometers found at PetSmart or on line- you will also need a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall of the tank
I have a bright white tube UVB and a digital hydrometer. Those are working as intended. My area gets cold even with my apartment heat up so I have used ceramic 24/7 in the past to maintain my gradient and in my experience here I have tried many recommended brands of white basking bulbs and they have all struggled with lifespan and temperature regulation. I am willing to try one again as it has been a few years since I tried a new one if there is a brand folks feel strongly about. This new set up is still in the building and experimentation phase as I learn how well it holds the heat.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a bright white tube UVB and a digital hydrometer. Those are working as intended. My area gets cold even with my apartment heat up so I have used ceramic 24/7 in the past to maintain my gradient and in my experience here I have tried many recommended brands of white basking bulbs and they have all struggled with lifespan and temperature regulation. I am willing to try one again as it has been a few years since I tried a new one if there is a brand folks feel strongly about. This new set up is still in the building and experimentation phase as I learn how well it holds the heat.
Please tell me brand and bulb of the uvb- T 5 or T 8? Distance and placement is critical - you need a regular basking bulb the che can be used to keep temps in the tank to what they need to be but a solid clear bright white basking bulb is a must- you want to immitate the sun Che's do not do that- exo Terra intense -- flukers basking bulb -- or a Arcadia halogen-- make sure your dome can handle the wattage - you want 3 temps in the tank - surface basking temps -- middle of the tank 90's and cool side 80ish--

MaeBell16

Bearded Dragon Egg
Realized I worded this poorly. My lizard is not living in this setup yet. The one she is living in has a UVA bulb as well as all the other equipment. I was planning to move over her UVA when I move her, I replaced the rest of her equipment for the new setup. I am not the biggest fan of her current UVA and would love brand advice to try something new. My current temperature testing is to see how well the enclosure holds heat and how well the thermostat reads. No animals are living in it as it is not complete.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Realized I worded this poorly. My lizard is not living in this setup yet. The one she is living in has a UVA bulb as well as all the other equipment. I was planning to move over her UVA when I move her, I replaced the rest of her equipment for the new setup. I am not the biggest fan of her current UVA and would love brand advice to try something new. My current temperature testing is to see how well the enclosure holds heat and how well the thermostat reads. No animals are living in it as it is not complete.
What brand of basking bulb are you using now

MaeBell16

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please tell me brand and bulb of the uvb- T 5 or T 8? Distance and placement is critical - you need a regular basking bulb the che can be used to keep temps in the tank to what they need to be but a solid clear bright white basking bulb is a must- you want to immitate the sun Che's do not do that- exo Terra intense -- flukers basking bulb -- or a Arcadia halogen-- make sure your dome can handle the wattage - you want 3 temps in the tank - surface basking temps -- middle of the tank 90's and cool side 80ish--
The UVB is a 24" Desert 50 T8 bulb from Zilla. None of the UVAs from local shops have been working as I'd like so I invite brand recommendations I can order and try. I use the CHE to lock in my other temps, I have two running right now because I am testing how well this new build holds heat. No animals are living in this right now, my girls are in other set ups until this one is finished. The purpose of this thread has been to troubleshoot equipment that is not working as it should so that I can continue to build this setup as it is not finished.

MaeBell16

Bearded Dragon Egg
What brand of basking bulb are you using now
Currently I have an Exo Terra Solar Glo in the enclosure my lizard is actually living in. They just don't seem to last as long as the Zoo Med bulbs I used before I moved but I haven't been able to find those locally here. I had planned to order some for the new build once I was confident the structure was holding heat well but if there is another brand you have had better luck with it has probably been 6 or so years since I tried anything outside of those two.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Currently I have an Exo Terra Solar Glo in the enclosure my lizard is actually living in. They just don't seem to last as long as the Zoo Med bulbs I used before I moved but I haven't been able to find those locally here. I had planned to order some for the new build once I was confident the structure was holding heat well but if there is another brand you have had better luck with it has probably been 6 or so years since I tried anything outside of those two.
The solarglo is a mvb - good for heat and recently been seeing people w / dragons having eye issues- I hope you have another uvb in the tank-- we always recommend another long tube fixture-- if you stay w/ a mvb Mega Ray is a better mvb but you still need the long tube as well - the uvb will expire in 6 months but it can be used for heat- you want the long tube uvb for back up - also if the mvb is on the screen the uvb rays are blocked by 30% not counting the distance- so if your mvb is high that too will effect the uvb rays getting to your dragon- I recommend a regular basking bulb w/ the long tube fixture those are not all the same as well- mvb's are expensive

MaeBell16

Bearded Dragon Egg
The solarglo is a mvb - good for heat and recently been seeing people w / dragons having eye issues- I hope you have another uvb in the tank-- we always recommend another long tube fixture-- if you stay w/ a mvb Mega Ray is a better mvb but you still need the long tube as well - the uvb will expire in 6 months but it can be used for heat- you want the long tube uvb for back up - also if the mvb is on the screen the uvb rays are blocked by 30% not counting the distance- so if your mvb is high that too will effect the uvb rays getting to your dragon- I recommend a regular basking bulb w/ the long tube fixture those are not all the same as well- mvb's are expensive
Do you have a link to a brand you have had good experience with? I do have a tube UVB on a 12 hour timer in both their current and the new habitats but I have never worked with a tube style basking bulb and would love to work with one on this new build.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can reach out to some others on the zoo med reptile temp and see if they can help- as far as the T 8 Zilla they are not as good as the fixtures I recommend for a 4x2x2 tank you want a T 5 - the T 8 needs to be in tank w/ no obstruction 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor -

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you have a link to a brand you have had good experience with? I do have a tube UVB on a 12 hour timer in both their current and the new habitats but I have never worked with a tube style basking bulb and would love to work with one on this new build.
The basking bulb is not a tube it goes into a dome like the mvb - the mega Ray will go into the dome your using for the solar glo just make sure your dome is correct wattage - I think the mega rays are 80 watt and 160 I believe can't remember I will reach out to the person about the thermostat

MaeBell16

Bearded Dragon Egg
The basking bulb is not a tube it goes into a dome like the mvb - the mega Ray will go into the dome your using for the solar glo just make sure your dome is correct wattage - I think the mega rays are 80 watt and 160 I believe can't remember I will reach out to the person about the thermostat
Ah, I misunderstood. I appreciate the clarification!

MaeBell16

Bearded Dragon Egg
But the Zilla bulbs are not real good - if you want links for good uvb's- I can post them
I am open to any links, these have been the only decent UVB I have found locally and I honestly bought the new one for the hood more than anything because the set was on sale for a steal and the hood was the size I wanted. If someone has had good experience shipping a better bulb I'd be ecstatic.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am open to any links, these have been the only decent UVB I have found locally and I honestly bought the new one for the hood more than anything because the set was on sale for a steal and the hood was the size I wanted. If someone has had good experience shipping a better bulb I'd be ecstatic.
For your bigger tank your going to need to upgrade to the T 5 - the T 8's are not strong enough- do you have a PetSmart?

MaeBell16

Bearded Dragon Egg
For your bigger tank your going to need to upgrade to the T 5 - the T 8's are not strong enough- do you have a PetSmart?
We do not. There is just a mom and pop shop. I will see if they can special order something or I can plan a trip in the future.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We do not. There is just a mom and pop shop. I will see if they can special order something or I can plan a trip in the future.
Ok I am going to post 3 uvb's pick one of them they are the best on the market at this time-
24" for a 40+ gallon tank
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb good for smaller tanks- you want this bulb
22" https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs or this one you can order this one you want the 24 watt 12% bulb https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse or this one - you need the bulb posted above for this fixture you want the 2ft fixture or 24" https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
Please let me know when you get it I can help you place it for your tank

MaeBell16

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok I am going to post 3 uvb's pick one of them they are the best on the market at this time-
24" for a 40+ gallon tank
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb good for smaller tanks- you want this bulb
22" https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs or this one you can order this one you want the 24 watt 12% bulb https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse or this one - you need the bulb posted above for this fixture you want the 2ft fixture or 24" https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
Please let me know when you get it I can help you place it for your tank
I feel comfortable placing them. I apologize for my struggle to word things clearly, I severely injured my ankle about 30 minutes after the first post and have been responding to messages during wait times in the ER. I have kept my adult beardie healthy and happy for 8 years. This is my first time building an enclosure of this size but I am not completely new to this.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I feel comfortable placing them. I apologize for my struggle to word things clearly, I severely injured my ankle about 30 minutes after the first post and have been responding to messages during wait times in the ER. I have kept my adult beardie healthy and happy for 8 years. This is my first time building an enclosure of this size but I am not completely new to this.
ouchie!! Lets hope nothing is broke there -- :) Ok well it sounds like you got a good grasp on things --- not sure what you meant by comfortable placing them?

Latest posts