• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Zilla Fortified Food?

tarichardi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a young dragon who won't eat anything green :-( He will grudgingly eat some of the squashes and of course any fruit treats. I have tried mixing the greens with a bit of fruit, but he really just digs out the fruit. I have found he is willing to eat the commercial pellet food for BD's. He just ate a ton of the Zilla Adult BD Fortified Food (red) moistened with water. How good or bad are these pellets for them?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As far as if that type of food is good or not, I am thinking it is not the best, someone please help with this part. How many crickets is he eating per day? How old? Mine will not eat anything green either, he will only eat red, orange and yellow. Here is some tips Red Ink AUS gave me:

Red Ink AUS said:
Bell peppers are fine ;). Poo is fine

Yellows
Squash
Dandelion Flowers
yellow bell pepper

Orange
Butternut pumpkin

Red
Hibiscus flowers
Purple cabbage

If you want him too eat something green flavor it with Kiwi fruit, he should love the sweet taste.

tarichardi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I give him lots of small crickets. He is almost 10 months old. I usually offer veggies before feeders to encourage him. I wouldnt use pellets to the exclusion of veggies. I just know he will eat those, and not so much veggies. I am worried that he is too dependant on feeders and that his protein should be reduced at this point.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Keep trying to feed fresh veggies everyday and play around with what you put in there. One of our more experienced people help me out here but at 10 months he should still be eating more crickets then veggies.

I found that with mine he will only eat his veggies if I hold his bowl right in front of him while he is on his basking spot. He will eat his fill and then turn away once he has eaten it. I have also tricked him into eating some veggies by putting a couple of Phoenix worms on top of his veggies. Phoenix are ok to feed everyday. They are just as if not more nutritious then crickets and easy to digest. They can just get expensive if that is all you feed but putting about 5 on the salad daily is not too expensive.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The pellets don't offer much nutrition. Bugs and salad are the best food source for your beardie.

Keep trying a variety of different veggies and greens. Here's our caresheet that lists different foods for your dragon:
Bearded Dragon Care

tarichardi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks, I am oooh so familiar with the food list. My previous BD was never much of a veggie eater.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
At 10 months old, i wouldn't worry. he's still got a bit of time before his regular natural transition to a 80% veggie diet.
Just keep offering the greens, and if he eats a bite or two............just smile and give him a hornworm or something.

Latest posts