• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Zilla Douglas Fir with Eucalyptus

Jeebs24

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I would like to know people's take on this substrate http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752173 .

I was talking to pet store (reptile pets only) owner and he suggested using this. He said he uses it on his bearded dragons. He claims it's safe, easy to cleanup because it's very absorbent and does not smell. I saw it and it's very fine that it will just pass through the beardie if it is ingested.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i personally am not a fan of pet store substrates for beardies...it seems to me that it would be too dusty and mold rather quickly...remember this (i used to be a pet store employee but one of the good ones) majority will tell you they use something or have something because relating to the customer helps the sale go better and ensure it happens...he may be telling the truth too that he uses it but personally id avoid it and go with a non particle substrate for newer owners and keepers who dont have much time to maintain particle substrates and if you are an experienced keeper and have the time to maintain particle substrates id go with sifted playsand and/or organic potting soil but this is just my .02

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm not a big fan of particle substrates. Yes, I used sand once, but switched to tile. But healthier and easier to maintain and clean.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I came up in a time when we tried similar products. The ingredients are different, but the manifestations are the same.
Substrates of this type have very low humidity values. They're actually dusty, and will clog the nose and ears as well as eyes. To eliminate this, you must mist the bedding. It then begins to hold humidity to release round the clock, and with the evacuation of fluid waste, ..........................ewwwwwww just doesn't quite sum it up.

The biggest concern here is that the manufacturer recommends feeding outside the enclosure where this product is used. How do you make salad available all day if you do that? And if you don't.....you risk worse than an impaction issue.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My main concern would be on the product description "Eucalyptus adds a bonus: a fresh scent that's 100% natural and completely non toxic to your pet." That is SOOOOOO not true eucalyptus oil in it's pure form i.e. from the tree IS TOXIC. Only one animal in the world eats that stuff and no other animal in the world would eat that animal due to the high eucalypt content. Eucalypt oil is like petrol VERY FLAMMABLE. You can ignite dried eucalypt leaves on a 75F day with a magnifying glass in just 2 minutes, can you imagine the danger it would pose in a 110F degree tank under a basking light running for 10-12 hours :eek:.

This product is down right dangerous not just for your animal but you and your family if it ignites in your home :mad:.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, thanks for giving us the facts, Francis. Very scary of the possibilities of what could happen.

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I feed Eucalyptus leaves and branches to the glider! ;) Just love them and it is in their diets.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
not as a staple though ? Koalas are the only animal I know that eats Eucalyptus as a staple... Yes, Francis ?
Janie

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
not as a staple though ? Koalas are the only animal I know that eats Eucalyptus as a staple... Yes, Francis ?
Janie

That's right Janie. That's why koalas sleep all day, there is very little nutrional value in the Eucalypt leaves. It's also a common joke down under that they get stoned from it lol.

Lance,

Gliders can eat Eucalypt but i would keep that in moderation, feed more so the flowers if you can get your hands on them and not so much the leaves.

Quick links for your gliders mate ;D.

http://www.marsupialsociety.org/sugar_glider.html

http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/home/msov/shared_files/Sugar_Glider_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Cheers,

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nice links !... and I'm glad I remembered that much about Euc. Personally I would love to grow it myself in the "garden" for my own use...
Thanks !
Janie

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeppers Janie. And Francis the bad part is that I cant find the flowers anywhere! I order from a guy in Cali. And they get them once a week! I offer the sticks to them twice a week. And apple sticks 2-3 times a week. They love their pinkies and fruit! Although pinkies only once or twice a month. They eat better then anyone I know! Fresh food everyday. Sorry to hijack the thread. ::)

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Just a note if you have EUC leaves you can dry them out crumble it up and throw it on your carpet and then vacuum it up and your whole house will smell fresh hell even your sweeper! ;)

Latest posts