• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

young dragon diet questions!

TIKI

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys,

I have two quick questions:

How do I get my juvie dragon interested in more veggies and fruits? I know that when they are young the ratio is 80% insects 20% greens but I feel like for bubba its 98% insects 2% greens! lol

Also, What are some good high protein insects that I can feed besides the crickets? every now and then I give him a few mealworms, silkworms, and horned worms as treats.

Thanks!!!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fruits are not a necessary potion of the diet & should only be offered as treats. That ratio that everyone likes to quote is a joke, how exactly is a person suppose to figure that ratio out, by weight, by volume or what? It is simply meant to say that they will eat more Veggies when older & less when younger.

Offer a constant supply of fresh greens daily in a low shallow dish, a saucer, jar lid or something of the sort works well, so they can readily see the veggies without having to climb. Whether they eat them or not, so it is available to them when they take the notion to try them out. Some BDs will take to them quicker than others, some won't for many months & that is ok too. They will take to them when they are ready. During the time that they are not eating veggies, be sure to regularly mist your BD once a day, give warm soaks 1-2 times a week to keep their hydration up.

The prey diet that you have described sounds quite reasonable, roaches could be added to the list.

TIKI

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the detailed answer Germ. I mix some strawberries or blueberries every now and then with his salad but I dont offer them daily.
as for the roaches, I cant really offer them because the dubias and hissing roaches are illegal here in Fl..

Latest posts