• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Young beardie not eating much

beyourownspotlight

Hatchling Dragon
I posted in intros about Beemo, she's 11 weeks and we've not had any bother with her eating until now. We had her at the vet on Tues for a wellness check, and got the all clear. Vet was very happy with her overall health. And she usually eats about 20-30 hoppers daily. About 8-10 three times a day. And we usually had to kind of stop her at times because she's a little grubber, loves her food. Even starting to like her salad.
Well. Wednesday she ate 18 hoppers the whole day, that's fine. No big deal. Yesterday she ate 6. Today it's 1250 in the afternoon and she's ate two this morning, and that was with a lot of coaxing. Normally she doesn't eat a lot in the morning feed, about 5-8. Which is just Beemo. But never this little.

As a first time lizard mama, and with her young age, I don't want to leave her for too long without eating. We are encouraging her, and she has plenty salad on offer always, but I know at her age she still needs a lot of protein. She's still pooping regularly, and she just pooped about five minutes ago, and it's still her usual poop. She's alert and watching me while I'm sitting in the room. She's just not eating much at all. Nothing has changed in her viv. Nothing has changed outside of her viv to have spooked her either. The only thing I can think of is the trip to the vet weirded her out?

But I don't want to leave her too long not eating. I was wondering if there was anything else I could give her right now, just to keep her protein up, until she starts eating her hoppers again? Or perhaps she's just sick of the hoppers? But she's not even really eating her salad right now either. Am I being paranoid? Something in me says this isn't quite right, especially when she's always been such a little fatty/always loved her grub.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know I've already replied to your previous post - but here's something more you can try: Make a slurry with organic pureed baby food or greens or even throw in a couple of crickets. put it in an ORAL syringe (get one from your pharmacy - 5 or 10 ml ) stick the tip JUST INSIDE her mouth. press the plunger GENTLY. you don't want to force it down her throat - just introduce it into her mouth. this will take time be patient

beyourownspotlight

Hatchling Dragon
I know I've already replied to your previous post - but here's something more you can try: Make a slurry with organic pureed baby food or greens or even throw in a couple of crickets. put it in an ORAL syringe (get one from your pharmacy - 5 or 10 ml ) stick the tip JUST INSIDE her mouth. press the plunger GENTLY. you don't want to force it down her throat - just introduce it into her mouth. this will take time be patient

I'll give her another day or two of coaxing, and if her intake remains this poor, or god forbid becomes less than the 8 a day she's having right now, I'll give this a try and phone the vet.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can add bee pollen in the slurry and on her bugs and greens many bd like the taste and it's super good for them.. you can get it at any vitamin store, or drug store.. it's also an appetite stimulant..

Latest posts