• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yes to Veges! Nope to Fruit.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Question? Is it unusual for beardies to not eat fruit? When Dex was little I’d give him mostly veges, but some baby food fruit when he was going through his refusing to eat his salads stage. Now he’s pigging out on his salads and doesn’t seem to be picky as to what veges he’ll eat, but won’t eat any fruist I include. I’ve tried small pieces of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, grapes, and apples, but nope he just pushes them out of the way. How important is the fruit in their diet? Should I be concerned?

Other than not eating fruit, Dexter is doing great and getting quite big. He loves hanging on my shoulder as I work, though he tends to go from shoulder to shoulder when things are really moving around on my laptop screen to get a better look. Heh heh heh. He’s totally fascinated by it. He and the cat don’t get along, but that’s to be expected, I guess. Lol For some reason the dog doesn’t bother him even though he’s like ten times bigger than the cat. He’ll puff up at the cat, but will walk across the dog.

I had to fly to the pet store this morning and pick up his bug order. Pet store is great! I’ve been there so many times picking up Dex’s roaches, crickets and worms, and visiting any reptiles they have in, they know me by name now. Lol Great news is that they now let me purchase direct from the supplier through them. I can get 500 crickets for the cost of 100 now. Woot! While I was there I asked about a bigger tank. I’ve decided to go straight to the 120 gal. bypassing the 75. The owner is checking into the types she can get for me. My only must-have is front doors as they make everything so much easier. My plan is to have the store order it and I’ll pick it up there after Christmas. I have a few months before he’ll outgrow his current tank, so no great hurry, but I need to move some furniture around to accommodate the bigger tank and I have to do that for the tree anyway so . . . Lol

Well, ta-ta for now. Hope everyone’s babies are doing great and are also growing like weeds.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Glad to hear Dexter is getting big and healthy! Fruit, although high in sugar, is a great way for him to get extra nutrients. variety, and moisture and should make up a small percentage of the diet. If he doesn't want to eat the more common fruit, you can try papaya, fig, mango, and even prickly pear. If he still refuses to eat them, you can use them to gutload feeders :)

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Glad to hear Dexter is getting big and healthy! Fruit, although high in sugar, is a great way for him to get extra nutrients. variety, and moisture and should make up a small percentage of the diet. If he doesn't want to eat the more common fruit, you can try papaya, fig, mango, and even prickly pear. If he still refuses to eat them, you can use them to gutload feeders :)
Great info Hooman! Thanks tons for the feedback. I'll try some of the fruit you mentioned. Crossing fingers he likes them. I do drop pieces of his salads (including the fruit) into his feeder containers so phew on that! I do well in swapping out his veges so he does get a variety of those and, of course, he gets his calcium and vitamin supplements. I'd feel better if he'd eat at least some fruit, though. So far, he seems to be be well hydrated (his over all look is good as are his poos). He's just now getting so he actually likes his baths and will swim around now. lol

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
Question? Is it unusual for beardies to not eat fruit? When Dex was little I’d give him mostly veges, but some baby food fruit when he was going through his refusing to eat his salads stage. Now he’s pigging out on his salads and doesn’t seem to be picky as to what veges he’ll eat, but won’t eat any fruist I include. I’ve tried small pieces of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, grapes, and apples, but nope he just pushes them out of the way. How important is the fruit in their diet? Should I be concerned?

Other than not eating fruit, Dexter is doing great and getting quite big. He loves hanging on my shoulder as I work, though he tends to go from shoulder to shoulder when things are really moving around on my laptop screen to get a better look. Heh heh heh. He’s totally fascinated by it. He and the cat don’t get along, but that’s to be expected, I guess. Lol For some reason the dog doesn’t bother him even though he’s like ten times bigger than the cat. He’ll puff up at the cat, but will walk across the dog.

I had to fly to the pet store this morning and pick up his bug order. Pet store is great! I’ve been there so many times picking up Dex’s roaches, crickets and worms, and visiting any reptiles they have in, they know me by name now. Lol Great news is that they now let me purchase direct from the supplier through them. I can get 500 crickets for the cost of 100 now. Woot! While I was there I asked about a bigger tank. I’ve decided to go straight to the 120 gal. bypassing the 75. The owner is checking into the types she can get for me. My only must-have is front doors as they make everything so much easier. My plan is to have the store order it and I’ll pick it up there after Christmas. I have a few months before he’ll outgrow his current tank, so no great hurry, but I need to move some furniture around to accommodate the bigger tank and I have to do that for the tree anyway so . . . Lol

Well, ta-ta for now. Hope everyone’s babies are doing great and are also growing like weeds.
Glad to hear little Dex is doing so well. Any new pictures to share of the little guy? I don’t really know what pet stores have to offer as far as tanks, but we went with zen habitats. Have been very happy with it. I’m sure Dex is happy that you’ve become friends at the pet store to get him a great deal on bugs haha.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Glad to hear little Dex is doing so well. Any new pictures to share of the little guy? I don’t really know what pet stores have to offer as far as tanks, but we went with zen habitats. Have been very happy with it. I’m sure Dex is happy that you’ve become friends at the pet store to get him a great deal on bugs haha.
Thanks CaHarding! I'll have to get some pics. Haven't taken any recently as it's a busy time of year. Ooo I'll look into zen habitats. As this will probably be his forever tank I want to get one we both will love. Thanks for the tip! :) He's happy to be getting unlimited food, for sure. hahaha I have a few more months before he'll start the transition to more salads than protein so I'M glad I've established the relationship. lol

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The good thing is fruit should be fed as a treat only. The only fruit my boy like is blueberries, I wouldn’t worry to my about it
Great info all! Appreciate it. Feel better about the fruit situation and won’t stress about it. I’m still gonna try some of the fruit Hooman suggested just because he’s spoiled and if he does like one of them I’ll be able to give him treats now and then. lol

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Just went running into the livingroom and and snapped a few pics with my phone for ya. lol He was like what's going on? Wait! Where ya going? Where's my bugs?

Attachments

• IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 8

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Just went running into the livingroom and and snapped a few pics with my phone for ya. lol He was like what's going on? Wait! Where ya going? Where's my bugs?
Wish I'd gotten a pic of his belly this morn. He was perched on his log and his belly was just a hanging big and round. lol He'd just finished his morning salad. I was like, "Hey buddy, got a belly hanging there, dude! Think I need to get you an exercise wheel. hahahaha He wasn't amused.

Latest posts