• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yellow rocket/wintercress?

SmaugMommy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry for posting so much on here. I guess I’m kinda obsessed with my baby boy. My latest question is, my backyard right now is full of these weeds that kind of look like dandelions but aren’t. We don’t spray them or anything, and Smaug loves to explore in them. Problem is, sometimes he tries to eat them. I’m wondering if anybody knows what this plant is or if it’s okay for them to eat?

I’ll attach some pictures of the flowers and leaves. Just from internet searches, I think that it might be a yellow rocket/wintercress plant. But I haven’t found any info on that plant and bearded dragons...

Attachments

• 1B607259-097D-4993-8BE2-A72D055351B5.jpeg
    1B607259-097D-4993-8BE2-A72D055351B5.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 48
  • 492C413B-6873-4C8B-B67D-36A233E19D8E.jpeg
    492C413B-6873-4C8B-B67D-36A233E19D8E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
  • 63D7022B-CCFA-4E38-B47D-92A6FE20B9A0.jpeg
    63D7022B-CCFA-4E38-B47D-92A6FE20B9A0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48

Venow

Hatchling Dragon
I would stay away form what you cant find info on, im sure it wont hurt him if he eats a leaf here or there but I would be that over protected parent, but what do I know I had my BD for a total of a week today, so I know nothing but I use to own iguanas "I spell that right?" and I would not let them eat those things

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
its actually called yellow rocketcress and is in the mustard family of herbs but some still call it a weed. it is edible by humans and it's one that iguanas can eat as well as tortoises so its possible that in small amount amounts it is safe to eat. but always be cautious of any plant that is out side as they can get contaminated with chemicals just from the ground water you dont have to be the one spraying the chemicals on your lawn it could be from a neighbor's yard,ground water knows no boundaries. so be cautious.

SmaugMommy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you guys for the second opinions! I’ll keep an eye on him out there then. (I mean, not like I wouldn’t anyway.) I guess I was just hoping it was a dream come true for both him and me, because they’re finally some greens he’ll eat. Should have known it was too good to be true xD

HaggridTheBearded

Hatchling Dragon
Ours, Hagrid, eats arugula, snow peas and basil well, eats some mint and snap peas but refuses most other fruits and veggies. I keep offering him a variety of other fruits and veggies. I have tried a number of them both cooked and raw. Also as strips or as mall chunks/cubes. My son has seen him eat some strawberries. I have not been able to see him, or be able to tell that he has eaten, strawberries, blueberries or mangos. But he loves the arugula! He is gaining weight well, in fact is up as most 20 grams in the last week, to 84 grams from 13grams when we got him in January at around 11weeks of age.

SmaugMommy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes, Smaug loves fruit. He doesn’t mind collard greens, but I am trying to get him to branch out a little with the greens. We’ll have to try arugula! Today we’re trying basil and it seems to be a hit! :D

HaggridTheBearded

Hatchling Dragon
Yes, Smaug loves fruit. He doesn’t mind collard greens, but I am trying to get him to branch out a little with the greens. We’ll have to try arugula! Today we’re trying basil and it seems to be a hit! :D
Hagrid seems to like basil too. NOT a fan of mint. Must "smell good" cause he checks it out, licks, then after one bite decides he does not want any more. I probably throw out far more "salad" than he eats but I figure it is kind of like when you have babies, or even kids in general, I offer all sorts of good for them foods, in a variety of ways, in hopes that it will all balance out.

I also throw away plenty of food that I serve to my children. So I figure it is pretty much the same situation. Some days he is a "salad monster". Other days he barely touches it. I see it as a positive thing when I find pieces strewn around near his dish because often it means he ate some of it and may have been rummaging around to find favorite items, hopefully in the process he tried a few different things.

Latest posts