• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Year old bearded not interested in pinky

katrina.hobbs.12

Bearded Dragon Egg
He loves meal worms and keel, sometimes crickets. Not even going for the pinky. Very spoiled boy.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390604428.220388.jpg

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
bearded dragons don't have pinkys in the wild so it's really not apart of their natural diet. What kind of sand is he on? Don't forget washed and sifted play sand is the ONLY safe sand for a dragon

smokejunky

Juvenile Dragon
They have adapted over the years to eat thing other than insects and greens but it's very Unhealthy if given all the time.sometimes they won't take pinkies I have one that won't but the others will

JoshSpence

Bearded Dragon Egg
How often could you feed your Beardie pinkies? And how many should you feed them at a time?

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
My dragons love pinkies ,idk if yours are frozen or live but I buy frozen I then thaw them and use tweezers to dangle them ask if they were moving. My beardies for them every time!

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Pinkies are high in fat and calcium, while you shouldnt feed then pinkies frequently they are great calcium source for dragons that need it. As for my dragons preferences:
Rad: only in self defense like the pinky crawling to close
Bright Eyes: all day everyday
Razor: depends on his mood
Meteor: curious but had her point stolen by Comet
Comet: likes them more than worms

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
Well I only feed them to my adults. So I have one that's probably 2 years old if that. He gobbles them up. My other two are around 4 yrs old and 7 years. Remember the whole eye space thing. I wouldn't feed them to a juvenile that would definitely impact them in my opinion.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Definitely not a staple food item but it totally makes sense for a beardie that has just laid. She'll need the extra calories and calcium, as you've said!

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My little girl (comet) ate 2 (she stole meteor's) a few days ago and pissed them no problem. Comet is 5 months, the pinkies were only hours old also.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but pinkies arent a good source of calcium or other minerals yet. Calcium comes from bones in vertebrates, and pinkies have almost none. Its all cartilage at that point. They are good for lots of calories, and will have some calcium because their bellies are full of milk. If you want to give females a bump of calcium then you need to move up to at least fuzzies though. You can freeze them and cut them in half while they are still frozen (easier than doing so when they are thawed, trust me ;) ) so that they are easier to feed.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but pinkies arent a good source of calcium or other minerals yet. Calcium comes from bones in vertebrates, and pinkies have almost none. Its all cartilage at that point. They are good for lots of calories, and will have some calcium because their bellies are full of milk. If you want to give females a bump of calcium then you need to move up to at least fuzzies though. You can freeze them and cut them in half while they are still frozen (easier than doing so when they are thawed, trust me ;) ) so that they are easier to feed.
I'm not so much worried about her calcium intake because she gets plenty with her crickets and dark greens. But thanks for the info. I'll pass on cutting up fuzzies.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well it's actually milk, which does have some calcium in it, yes. The problem is it also has quite a bit of phosphorous too, so it kind of makes it a zero sum in that equation.

Latest posts