• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worst vet ever?

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
I figured y'all would get a kick out of this.
So I took Milo to a new vet today for an annual check up and to have them look at a few things. I've never been to this one, but it was close by and decided to try it.
Well, the vet walks in and pulls out a care guide and starts looking through it. The first thing she gets wrong is when she told me bearded dragons need only 20% vegetables as adults.
Strike 1.
Then I mention his tail to her (it's possible he had broken it as a baby). She agreed it broke and healed, then asked ME if bearded dragons regrew their tails.
Strike 2.
And the best one. She asked me about the temperatures right? So I told her the basking spot was around 104, hot side was 90-95 and cool side was 77 and of course the 10.0 UVB. She told me that the hottest temperature should be 75-80 and that 90 was way too hot....
I was like, "they're desert creatures...." and just sat in silence.
Strike 3, you're out.
Let's just say I won't be going back.

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
Oh hilarious! Course, she should also NOT charge you for the visit!!

Last edited by a moderator:

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have a similar story. One of my frogs got really sick and needed someone ASAP. Called the vet around the corner from me and asked if they treat frogs, they said yes. Rushed the frog over there, they brought me to a room, took a photo of the frog, asked me what was wrong etc. The vet comes in and says "I'm so sorry, I don't treat frogs but I do treat bearded dragons, heres a picture!" I was so stunned I walked out crying. I did find a vet that treated frogs but sadly the frog died. 2 weeks later, I got a card from the 1st vet saying "sorry we couldn't help you but here's a great picture of your frog!" It was a photo of her in her bowl laying on her belly with her legs stretched out!

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
What a horrible experience that must have been Patsy. Sorry that happened to you. :( it's very hard to find a vet who treats exotics that fully understands their needs.

And unfortunately Jay, I had to pay $55 just for a checkup. It was more teaching a lesson to the vet on bearded dragons. I'm a college student too, so spending that much just to end up with a clueless vet was super frustrating.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's pretty bad. I started looking around for a back up vet for Allie. She got a Respiratory Infection once and I need info on what to do. The receptionist told me that the vet wasn't in and she was on maternity leave. Well, there were two there and the second vet wouldn't help me. I started calling around to other vets for info on how to treat RI. Well, none of them would give insight. I came back online and asked two different people. I upped her temps and within a few days, her RI cleared. The other one told me to buy a medicine and probiotic in case she needed it. She didn't need it and came out all right.

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah, I knew he didn't have anything wrong with him, but it was mainly for weight and all. She said he was "too skinny" and should be fed more roaches than greens. Like, what? He weighs 454g and is only about 16 in. and has got a big plump belly. Don't know what she's talking about.
We ended up sending an email to them saying how dissapointed we were with the vet, and how she gave us information that could potentially kill BD's. She ended up giving me a b.s. reply, copying and pasting quotes from online about BD's.... Now, she was saying that a good temperature is 90-95 (She copied and pasted this) then told me I was wrong for 'starving' him in order to get him to eat more greens. When I say starving, I mean I would go 4 days or so without giving him roaches in order to get him back on track with his veggies, since I had given in too many times before. He's finally learned I won't go easy and is eating a little more than usual. :p
So yeah, pretty awful experience and they refused to give me a refund. All I can do is leave bad feedback to warn others. /:

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Those pamphlets and some sites aren't always reliable. I got a info guide just to see, from Petco and checked it out. Almost all their info is wrong. My vet was shocked to see Allie so healthy and lively. Many beardies that she's seen have MBD and other problems with them. According to her, Allie's the healthiest dragon they've ever seen.

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah, I was just shocked how this vet who claimed she was knowledgeable in reptiles, had to read from someone else's guide and told me one thing about the temperatures, but then replied in my email saying a whole different thing. She also quoted that they need "70% veggies and 30% roaches", unlike when she told me 20% veggies 80% roaches the first time. And of course she wanted me to run blood tests and unnecessary de-worming even though he doesn't have parasites....

Shameful to call herself a vet when the patient knows more than her :p

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Such a shame. Babies need more insect than adults. Adults need more greens than insects. Allie loves her greens, but she loves her crickets like there's no tomorrow. I'm not even fast enough for her most days. I feed her crickets three times a week. She'll be sitting on my bed and watch me clean her tank. I'm moving the paper towels and she'll lunge after them with her tongue and try to get it. It's pretty funny because she's something else. Following the paper towels like a 'dog'.

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
Well you say that. But my current 3 year old Dragon was the opposite, he would eat more greens than live food by a long shot from birth, till he was about 1 and a half. Was about 10% live, 90% greens.
Now it's the total opposite. And he's perfectly healthy according to my local vet. Who is a reptile vet.
But that vet from the OP, wouldn't want them anywhere near my reptiles. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Neither would I. If someone said I was doing the wrong things, goodbye. Hello, new vet.

Latest posts