• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried for this dragon

Charlotteemmaa

Bearded Dragon Egg
My boyfriend moved in with me a few months ago and bought his two bearded dragons with him, I've been concerned about the amount of attention he actually pays towards them. I've recently been making sure that they are fed and have clean water and are being bathed ect. This morning I was feeding the male and noticed something extremely serious looking.. Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated and of course I will try and get him to a vet ASAP.
20181128_131740.jpg
20181128_131730.jpg

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Poor thing. He needs to be seen by a REPTILE vet immediately!! What substrate is he on? Is it ever cleaned out/replaced? That's heartbreaking.

Charlotteemmaa

Bearded Dragon Egg
He is kept on a very thin layer of sand and my boyfriend removes the poo from the enclosure every few days. Is there anything I can do in the meantime before getting to a vet?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
The sand needs to be thrown out. You can lay clean paper towels in the enclosure, instead. That has to be so painful, laying on sand. Beyond that, maybe someone with more experience has more suggestions. He needs to go to the vet this morning, for sure. I suggest you don’t wait at all.

Charlotteemmaa

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you. I have found a reptile vet within an hours travel so I will take him first thing in the morning. I'm going to clean out his enclosure and his wound is clean. Thankfully he is still eating and drinking and letting me handle him.

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
that is awful the poor thing is suffering greatly. it looks like a prolapse of some kind and needs immediate medical attention from a reptile vet. please don't wait it will only prolong his suffering. my heart is breaking for the little guy.

Charlotteemmaa

Bearded Dragon Egg
Same here. I had a good cry as soon as I noticed the poor thing this morning, unfortunately since they aren't my pets I don't handle them often but for the past week I have taken over the care for them.. It never crossed my mind to look underneath the dragon.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh dear.. Yes remove the sand as that has got to hurt being raw like that and it's very unsanitary..To be honest I don't think this is a recoverable situation. It may also have a bad infection that is also not very good news.. I try to be hopeful but this may have gone on un noticed for too long. You can put him in a warm bath with iodine diluted to look like a weak tea that will at least start cleaning of it..
..what is the other looking like?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Did you get him to the vet? What did the vet say? Thank you for taking over and caring for these poor animals.

Charlotteemmaa

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry for taking so long to reply back. I took him to the vet and left him with the vet for care, unfortunately he didn't make it through the night. The poor guy was in more pain than I thought.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry to hear about loosing him at least he is no longer in pain.. Please do keep us updated on how the other one is doing.