• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried Dragon Mama

Leah_P0318

Bearded Dragon Egg
I took Sebi in May 2020. I believe he is between 1 1/2 - 3 years old. He's in a 40gal tank, 10.0 uvb reptisun bulb, 100 watt basking bulb. Cool side 78, warm side 85-90, basking 105ish. Reptile carpet flooring.
Given greens every day and BSFL and superworms 2-3x a week.
He normally poops once a week.
On 6/20/20, hia poop was partially undigested BSFL. This has never happened before. Since then, I have noticed that he has not pooped, he won't eat his greens, and he will only eat a fraction of his bugs.
He has been super lazy in his cage and sleeps and lounges all day.
When I take him out of his cage, he's alert and active and seems fine.
I will say that the BSFL batch I bought beginning of July was from a different seller (calcigrubs), I normally buy from Luxurious Littles.
What could be wrong? Could he gotten sick from the different BSFL? Could he be impacted?
Any help and input is appreciated.
Contacting a vet tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20200729_200523.jpg
    20200729_200523.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 20200720_151226.jpg
    20200720_151226.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20200729_200811.jpg
    20200729_200811.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I took Sebi in May 2020. I believe he is between 1 1/2 - 3 years old. He's in a 40gal tank, 10.0 uvb reptisun bulb, 100 watt basking bulb. Cool side 78, warm side 85-90, basking 105ish. Reptile carpet flooring.
Given greens every day and BSFL and superworms 2-3x a week.
He normally poops once a week.
On 6/20/20, hia poop was partially undigested BSFL. This has never happened before. Since then, I have noticed that he has not pooped, he won't eat his greens, and he will only eat a fraction of his bugs.
He has been super lazy in his cage and sleeps and lounges all day.
When I take him out of his cage, he's alert and active and seems fine.
I will say that the BSFL batch I bought beginning of July was from a different seller (calcigrubs), I normally buy from Luxurious Littles.
What could be wrong? Could he gotten sick from the different BSFL? Could he be impacted?
Any help and input is appreciated.
Contacting a vet tomorrow.
Poor guy. Not an expert, but a couple of things that I would check:

Have you tried warm baths to see if you can get him to poo? While he's in them try to gently rub his tummy from his chest to his tail to help loosen any impaction. How new is your UVB light? They should be replaced every 6 months. It might be he's not getting enough UV to help him digest properly maybe.

Where he's more energetic out of the tank, maybe his tank is too small for his size? I can't remember off the top of my head exactly what size, but I think as adults they need at least a 75 gallon tank to be happy. Not positive so I'm hoping experts can chime in.

If all else fails, do you have a vet you can perhaps contact and at least ask some advice from? I know mine doesn't mind if I give a call and describe what the issue is. If it's something minor and easily remedied she'll give recommendations on things to do. Sorry I can't be of more help. Hoping experts may have some better answer for you. Hope he feels better.

Leah_P0318

Bearded Dragon Egg
Poor guy. Not an expert, but a couple of things that I would check:

Have you tried warm baths to see if you can get him to poo? While he's in them try to gently rub his tummy from his chest to his tail to help loosen any impaction. How new is your UVB light? They should be replaced every 6 months. It might be he's not getting enough UV to help him digest properly maybe.

Where he's more energetic out of the tank, maybe his tank is too small for his size? I can't remember off the top of my head exactly what size, but I think as adults they need at least a 75 gallon tank to be happy. Not positive so I'm hoping experts can chime in.

If all else fails, do you have a vet you can perhaps contact and at least ask some advice from? I know mine doesn't mind if I give a call and describe what the issue is. If it's something minor and easily remedied she'll give recommendations on things to do. Sorry I can't be of more help. Hoping experts may have some better answer for you. Hope he feels better.

Thanks for your reply..
UVB is new from May. I plan to get a 75 gal eventually.. He was in a 20 gal with coil UVB when I took him in. I've learned so much since I got him. I feel like I'm doing everything right but he's not thriving and it makes me so sad.
I'm going to call a vet in my area today and see what they say. Only one vet around that deals with reptiles.
In the mean time, I will be giving him a bath and belly massage. Thanks again.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks for your reply..
UVB is new from May. I plan to get a 75 gal eventually.. He was in a 20 gal with coil UVB when I took him in. I've learned so much since I got him. I feel like I'm doing everything right but he's not thriving and it makes me so sad.
I'm going to call a vet in my area today and see what they say. Only one vet around that deals with reptiles.
In the mean time, I will be giving him a bath and belly massage. Thanks again.
Egads! Glad you took on his care. I'm still learning new stuff every day. lol Your UV sounds good. Your Temperatures seem right. Only thing I can think of is the tank size? I would consider that maybe he's getting ready to shed, but seems like too long a time without eating well for that. My baby's low appetite only last about 2 days before it started picking back up when he shed. I know others asked about brumation when I mentioned that my baby's appetite went down. Possibility?

I'm hoping the bath works. I think you can try baths a couple of times a day until he poos. If not your safest bet may be to have a vet look at him. Again sorry, I'm still learning myself. Just mentioning things that we asked of me when I had questions. Hope your fella feels better soon.

Latest posts