• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about red in bearded dragon poop.

Cadenpixle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, my 8-9 month year old bearded dragons poops have been very strange recently. They don’t look good and have some red in them which worry’s me a lot. I’m not sure why it’s red and I’m wondering if any of you guys could know why. He’s basking temp is between 106-112 dependo I where he is and I feed him Phoenix worms, one wax worm, one smallish super worm, and a hornworm each day. The only greens he eats are blueberries which he gets once every three days, and able to get him to eat greens sometimes by making the hornworm grab on to it. He never drinks water, even if I put it on his nose and I bathe him once every 3-5ish days (trying to do more). Anything helps, thanks.

Attachments

• 52D46F23-3CD6-44A8-9003-7BE60348AB3D.jpeg
    52D46F23-3CD6-44A8-9003-7BE60348AB3D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
  • D3DFAB8F-FD9C-4499-9A50-B8388B890F03.jpeg
    D3DFAB8F-FD9C-4499-9A50-B8388B890F03.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 38
  • 48C7E9F5-3170-4A29-A7A5-2F1ED4E059A8.jpeg
    48C7E9F5-3170-4A29-A7A5-2F1ED4E059A8.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 38

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, my 8-9 month year old bearded dragons poops have been very strange recently. They don’t look good and have some red in them which worry’s me a lot. I’m not sure why it’s red and I’m wondering if any of you guys could know why. He’s basking temp is between 106-112 dependo I where he is and I feed him Phoenix worms, one wax worm, one smallish super worm, and a hornworm each day. The only greens he eats are blueberries which he gets once every three days, and able to get him to eat greens sometimes by making the hornworm grab on to it. He never drinks water, even if I put it on his nose and I bathe him once every 3-5ish days (trying to do more). Anything helps, thanks.
What supplements are you feeding? What type of UVB are you using a coil or a tube? where is the UVB if its a tube on top of screen or inside the tank ? Basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- please stop w/ the blueberries they should be fed occasionally -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
he should be able to eat large superworms at his age -- wax worms I would feed less of they are fatty and can cause liver damage if fed too often and too many
please rinse the greens before serving that will help w/ hydration - as of now the horn worms are providing the hydration as they are a hydrating worm -- he does not need to be bathed as often as your doing -- too many bathes will dry out the scales -- I would look into getting another staple feeder like dubia roaches silk worms or crickets

Cadenpixle

Bearded Dragon Egg
What supplements are you feeding? What type of UVB are you using a coil or a tube? where is the UVB if its a tube on top of screen or inside the tank ? Basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- please stop w/ the blueberries they should be fed occasionally -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
he should be able to eat large superworms at his age -- wax worms I would feed less of they are fatty and can cause liver damage if fed too often and too many
please rinse the greens before serving that will help w/ hydration - as of now the horn worms are providing the hydration as they are a hydrating worm -- he does not need to be bathed as often as your doing -- too many bathes will dry out the scales -- I would look into getting another staple feeder like dubia roaches silk worms or crickets
I’m using a tube 22 inch t5 ho uvb bulb inside the tank that’s partly above the basking spot. I dust some of his insects and all of his veggies with repashy calcium and vitamin plus. I’ll turn the temp down a little I was just worried cause someone said it looks like undigestsd food in his poop. I’ll also give him less blueberries It’s just that he used to eat a lot of greens but now won’t eat any at all unless I trick him into eating it. So blueberries are really the only only plant he will eat. I also thought they might be good for some moisture. I’ll try to give him less wax worms. Bath wise its just been so confusing cause some people say once a week while I’ve heard others even say every other day but I’ll do less. He used to eat crickets and dubias but one day he just stopped and wouldn’t even look at them. He also got parasites while eating those so I’ve been kind of scared to go away from giving him worms. He does like silk worms which I do give him when I have them but they are hard to find. Also I should say that I don’t know if he’s a boy I’ve just always assumed that and none of the test with like the flashlight seem to work . But do you know why the poop could be red cause that really scares me because I’ve heard parasites might cause that but he’s acting nothing like he was when he had parasites. I’ve also heard about it being reabsorbed eggs or something but I find that unlikely. He also hasn’t had any big changes in his diet so I don’t think it’s something his eating unless it’s maybe the blueberries. My worst fear is internal bleeding but it doesn’t look like blood so I really have no clue. Thanks -Caden

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would definitely change his stable feeder to something that his higher in protein like silk worms, crickets or Dubai roaches. The worms you’re giving him are either too high in fat which is bad for his liver or high in water like the hornworms which could explain why he isn’t drinking no any water because he’s getting it from the worms, this also explains why his poop is so watery. The red poop has happened to my beardies every once in a while. I believe it has something to do with lack of calcium in their diet. I’d have someone reconfirm that with you but I do know that when I give my beardies a little extra calcium the red poop stops.

Cadenpixle

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would definitely change his stable feeder to something that his higher in protein like silk worms, crickets or Dubai roaches. The worms you’re giving him are either too high in fat which is bad for his liver or high in water like the hornworms which could explain why he isn’t drinking no any water because he’s getting it from the worms, this also explains why his poop is so watery. The red poop has happened to my beardies every once in a while. I believe it has something to do with lack of calcium in their diet. I’d have someone reconfirm that with you but I do know that when I give my beardies a little extra calcium the red poop stops.
Alright thanks, I’ll try some new foods and give him some more calcium. Hopefully that works. Thanks,

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Alright thanks, I’ll try some new foods and give him some more calcium. Hopefully that works. Thanks,
Your lighting in the tank plays everything in the dragon -- you MUST have correct UVB properly placed along w/ basking temps- diet will come in as well but you MUST start w/ the lighting

Cadenpixle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your lighting in the tank plays everything in the dragon -- you MUST have correct UVB properly placed along w/ basking temps- diet will come in as well but you MUST start w/ the lighting
I think he’s definitely good with UVB lighting but the basking temp is always hard cause he never will just sit and bask for a while until it gets to before bed. But when he does bask I’ve now got it to 104-107ish which should be good I think. Thanks,

Jrodkw

Hatchling Dragon
His diet needs to be changed now! (Without sounding dramatic lol)
Most of what you're feeding him right now is nothing but sugar and fat.
He needs...crickets and/or dubia roaches, calcium/D3, hearty greens, bell peppers.

Change out the blueberries for apple. My dragon loves blueberries too...lots of sugar though. But he only gets them once, maybe twice per week at the most.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with everyone above, theres no problem(its not blood), but he does need a diet change up, aside from the poos being watery they look okay, if ur calcium is expired that can sometimes be a factor aswell.

Latest posts