• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about Pickle

DaniandPickle

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello forum friends! I'm worried about my little Pickle. I got him in October, and he seemed to be doing really well until the last week. On Thursday, about a week ago, he stopped eating. I read that i could give him babyfood, and i put some on his nose. He licked a little off, but mostly he just rubbed his nose on the ground. I found a baby syringe medicine applicator and washed it to use. I gave him applesauce for a whole day and half. He started eating some again the next day. After a week of eating, he stopped and I don't know why. Should i keep feeding him the applesauce? His light is good, and he has shelf liner in his tank.

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
try him with wax worms, beardies love them n if they r not eatin it keeps there weight up, also, is he drinkin? if not mist him with water everyday or put droplets of water on his nose, he may be dehydrated, is he shedding? that also causes them to stop eating for a while, make sure u r offering him plenty of dark greens (salad) hope this helps :)

GemmyLou

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
You do get some fussy beardies as they grow.. but like kay said..shedding could cause the loss of hunger.
If he was dehydrated he wouldnt do alot he would go lethargic.. so i dont think its that.. but yeh defo every now and then keep puttin droplets of water on his nose! I find our 8 week old beardies do the same..one min they are eating the next they dont wanna know any of it.. it may jus be them growing an too full! Jus keep tempting him with applesauce!

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello sorry you are having some trouble can you elaborate on your set up what kind of light are you using what are the temps how far are the lights away from him and how old are the lights. Also do you have any pictures of him what was he eating before, do you supplement with calcium and vitamins.

KrisWithaK1225

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
What were you feeding him before? Was it larger than the space between his eyes? If it was insects, were they wild caught? Has your beardie been checked for parasites via fecal exam? Is he lethargic? Also, how old is he?

DaniandPickle

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies. His set up is 36 inch x 18 inch aquarium, shelf liner on the bottom, a repti sun 10 i just replaced and a heat bulb. His temperature is around 112. He swims around in the sink a couple of times a week, so i don't think he's dehydrated. I usually feed him small crickets i get from pet smart. I tried to give him the baby food last night, but he just sat there.
What do I do? I don't have a camera, so i can't show you pictures. I'll see if a friend has one I can borrow.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Dani

Have you changed ANYTHING in his viv or in the room close too his viv lately?

Some dragons go through relocation stress even after a small enviroment change, this could be as simple as adding a decoration or changing the colour of the shelf liner you use.

Fliehigh

DaniandPickle

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The only thing that's changed in his cage is the UVB light. I changed my curtians in my kitchen which is the room beside the living room. I didn't think that could bother him.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
we may be on to something here.....

Did the change in UVB and the change in eating happen at the same time?

How old was the old bulb and do you still have it? there maybe something wrong with the new one so if you still have the old one try to put that back in and see if it makes a difference. if it does take the new one back and have it exchanged.

Lack of Proper UVB affect their eating and digestion.

Fliehigh

DaniandPickle

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I bought the bulb in October and changed it about a week before his problem started. I bought a reptisun floressent bulb and threw the old one away. He eats on one day, then won't eat the next. I'm giving him baby food on the days he doesn't eat. Should I buy a different bulb?

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would try a new reptisun 10.

my educated guess is that he is not getting enough UVB. Becareful with the baby food as apples are an appeitite suppressant. I would try a new bulb (keep the old this time) and then maybe try him with a few silk worms or even a small horn worm or two.

Fliehigh

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How big is he. How old was he when you purchased him. Is he active or trying to hide. Are you feeding him greens and what type of calcium are you giving him. The light would be my first guess also I change mine every 6 months .

Latest posts