• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about my dragon

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
also, I just took the temperature of the basking spot with two different thermometers and they read at about 104.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She was basking before but now is catching some rays underneath the UVB.
Ok so that is good --- keep an eye on her w/ good basking temps and good UVB she should be ok -- you did not give her Pancur did you? What is the distance for your UVB and is it on top of the screen?

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok so that is good --- keep an eye on her w/ good basking temps and good UVB she should be ok -- you did not give her Pancur did you? What is the distance for your UVB and is it on top of the screen?
I’ve never heard of Pancur. The UVB is centered inside the top of the tank.

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
It is ok to go w/ a bio tank but this one I've not seen - please check out the biodudes website- 3-4 days is too long w/ out heat-- let's hope he bounces back they are pretty hardy creatures- the UVB is a T 8 or T 5? Please look on the bulb it will tell you-- distance and placement is crucial between the two bulbs-- please star using the ir gun - however it will not give you an accurate temp on the hammock you need a digital probe thermometer
Reptisun is a T5, which can be mounted on top of the tank, IMO the reason why your beardie is because of the temperature. Have she ever have a fecal exam if not I would definitely recommend one to rule out parasites. Heating and lighting is very important in a beardies life especially with babies because the are fragile. How long have you had your Reptisun UVB light because they should be replaced every 6 months. If you can look into Arcadia T5 because they can last a year before they have to be replaced

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello, at about 2 o’clock is when its lights on for my beardie. At night she sleeps underneath her hammock. Usually within 1/2 hour she emerges from under her hammock. Today it was more than an hour and still no sign of her and so I checked to see if she’s breathing and thankfully she was. So then I placed her outside of the hammock and within a couple minutes she crawled back underneath the hammock again Any help and I’ll be more than gracious.thanks
Hi, First of all a Beardie needs lights on (Heat & UVB) for 10-12 hours in the winter & 12-14 hours during the Summer. At night they need pure dark (NO lights at all) only a ceramic heat emitter placed 2 inches to the left or right side of his body at night in the winter if his temp in tank drops below 70. You need a zoomed heat lamp for Heat & a Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB. This UVB long light is ordered on Amazon and should cover 70 percent of the length of the tank. A Beardie will get MBdisease and brittle/broken bones, unable to walk or eat and eventually die without UVB & this long Reptisun needs replacing every 6Mnths. He should be eating 3-4 times a day at his age of 3mnths. Crickets or dubia roaches only and lots of greens and veggies 2plates per day & place it on the cold side. Please Google the staple greens/veggies. Tyoically it’s mustard & collard greens, dandelions, endives, snap peas, green beans and butternut squash cut them to size for him and do a mixture of u dont train him now to eat veggies he will never do it. As a treat 1-2 times per week; blueberries, papaya or mangoes. Once a week u must also dust the crickets with herptivite powder and 4times a week once per day dust the crickets with RepCal it’s calcium powder & they need for their bones & the UVB helps them absorb it. Make sure the tank is minimum 40gallons; 36by18by18 or can be taller like 24inches high and at 10mnths old or so get him a 120 gallon or bigger as an adult so he can move, grow and not be stressed. NO mealworms or sand substrate it impacts them and destroys their digestive system. Baths twice a week in lukewarm Dechlorinated water for 15min minimum. U can buy Reptisafe which is a liquid that dechlorinates the water & u can play mediation music softly so they can relax while bathing & do not get water in his ears. Hope this helps; we rescue and rehome. Ty

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If your going to use only the 5.0 distance would be different
Sadie STOP the 5.0 gives little to NO UVB. U are giving wrong info constantly. Also read what people right and use some common sense Dragonscales said they turn on the lights at 2pm!!! This is horrible/not normal mone go on at 7:30Am everyday 12-14 in the summer and 10-12 In the winter. U don’t work with reptile vets, or breeders and u don’t rescue like I do. So please refrain from suggesting 5.0 Reptisun they are worthless! Only the 10.0 T5!!

Heather R Barrett

Bearded Dragon Egg
The uvb is F39T5/REPT. The UVB mount is approx. 35”
The UVB is centered at 1ft. The height is 2ft.
All the nearby stores are closed so I won’t be able to buy another thermometer until tomorrow.
The basking light is situated at the back left, top of the terrarium. Under the basking bulb the hammock is approx. 12”
thanks
I have the biodudes set up. Raise the hammock closer up to the light thats how I have my hammocks for basking. However make sure she is able to climb up to the Hammock.

Heather R Barrett

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, First of all a Beardie needs lights on (Heat & UVB) for 10-12 hours in the winter & 12-14 hours during the Summer. At night they need pure dark (NO lights at all) only a ceramic heat emitter placed 2 inches to the left or right side of his body at night in the winter if his temp in tank drops below 70. You need a zoomed heat lamp for Heat & a Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB. This UVB long light is ordered on Amazon and should cover 70 percent of the length of the tank. A Beardie will get MBdisease and brittle/broken bones, unable to walk or eat and eventually die without UVB & this long Reptisun needs replacing every 6Mnths. He should be eating 3-4 times a day at his age of 3mnths. Crickets or dubia roaches only and lots of greens and veggies 2plates per day & place it on the cold side. Please Google the staple greens/veggies. Tyoically it’s mustard & collard greens, dandelions, endives, snap peas, green beans and butternut squash cut them to size for him and do a mixture of u dont train him now to eat veggies he will never do it. As a treat 1-2 times per week; blueberries, papaya or mangoes. Once a week u must also dust the crickets with herptivite powder and 4times a week once per day dust the crickets with RepCal it’s calcium powder & they need for their bones & the UVB helps them absorb it. Make sure the tank is minimum 40gallons; 36by18by18 or can be taller like 24inches high and at 10mnths old or so get him a 120 gallon or bigger as an adult so he can move, grow and not be stressed. NO mealworms or sand substrate it impacts them and destroys their digestive system. Baths twice a week in lukewarm Dechlorinated water for 15min minimum. U can buy Reptisafe which is a liquid that dechlorinates the water & u can play mediation music softly so they can relax while bathing & do not get water in his ears. Hope this helps; we rescue and rehome. Ty
You do not need to get your adult bearded dragon a 120 gallon tank much less larger. I have two bearded dragons one is 11 and the other 6. I put my beardies back to 55 gallon because it was way to hard to heat a tank any larger than that and definitely is not required. Also there is a difference between dirt and sand. I have the Bio Dude set up for both of my beardies and they love it. My advice when have this set up you follow the bio dudes recommendation. If set up correctly with clean up crew and everything you won't have to buy feeders or clean the tank it will run like an eco system. Every little creature in the eco system needs certain things to survive.

Heather R Barrett

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks much. Sorry for the delay in responding. I was away from my computer. Now that you mention it the lighting is off a bit. The basking bulb burnt out last week and I had to wait for a new one which arrived today. While waiting for the new bulb to arrive I had to resort to an 85w basking bulb that I got from petsmart. The bulb that arrived today is 150w, the wattage of the original bulb.
here’s a pic of the terrarium:
View attachment 24380
Here‘s a pic of the UVB:
View attachment 24381
And here a pic of the basking
View attachment 24382
Very nice tank! I'd put a couple real and some other green. Can get from biodude pretty decent price. Something for them to munch on good for them.

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
Sadie STOP the 5.0 gives little to NO UVB. U are giving wrong info constantly. Also read what people right and use some common sense Dragonscales said they turn on the lights at 2pm!!! This is horrible/not normal mone go on at 7:30Am everyday 12-14 in the summer and 10-12 In the winter. U don’t work with reptile vets, or breeders and u don’t rescue like I do. So please refrain from suggesting 5.0 Reptisun they are worthless! Only the 10.0 T5!!
Sadie is very knowledgeable. And she is always here to help anyone who is having issues. She’s also very polite and takes people seriously and understands that not everyone is an absolute pro. But she is there to help them on their way. You do not need to work with breeders or vets to own your own dragons and become knowledgeable about them. There is a lot of information out there. No one way is the absolute right way to do things. I’ve never seen so many nasty comments from one person ever. Let’s all exercise a little bit of kindness. We are all here to learn and not to be talked down to. Again, I say that Sadie has been absolutely amazing.

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for the replies.
Reptisun is a T5, which can be mounted on top of the tank, IMO the reason why your beardie is because of the temperature. Have she ever have a fecal exam if not I would definitely recommend one to rule out parasites. Heating and lighting is very important in a beardies life especially with babies because the are fragile. How long have you had your Reptisun UVB light because they should be replaced every 6 months. If you can look into Arcadia T5 because they can last a year before they have to be replaced
My dragon, Kylo, is scheduled for a wellness exam scheduled for Dec 2. It’s the soonest I could get my vet to see her. Temp of basking area is 104. Under the UVB it’s 88 degrees. I've had the UVB for only a few months.

Very nice tank! I'd put at a couple real and some other green. Can get from biodude pretty decent price. Something for them to munch on good for them.
Sorry. Sometimes times I suffer from lack of comprehension when reading. What is meant by “I'd put at a couple real and some other green.”
You need a zoomed heat lamp for Heat & a Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB. This UVB long light is ordered on Amazon and should cover 70 percent of the length of the tank.
I have a zoomed ceramic and a zoomed 10.0
At night they need pure dark (NO lights at all) only a ceramic heat emitter placed 2 inches to the left or right side of his body at night in the winter if his temp in tank drops below 70.
My night time temp is right at 70 degrees. Just making sure is 70 okay? Would 75-80 be better?

Me personally I have no complaints with any of of you guys.You’ve all been great.

Any other help is great. Thanks everyone.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the replies.

My dragon, Kylo, is scheduled for a wellness exam scheduled for Dec 2. It’s the soonest I could get my vet to see her. Temp of basking area is 104. Under the UVB it’s 88 degrees. I've had the UVB for only a few months.

Sorry. Sometimes times I suffer from lack of comprehension when reading. What is meant by “I'd put at a couple real and some other green.”

I have a zoomed ceramic and a zoomed 10.0

My night time temp is right at 70 degrees. Just making sure is 70 okay? Would 75-80 be better?

Me personally I have no complaints with any of of you guys.You’ve all been great.

Any other help is great. Thanks everyone.
75 at nite is good -- you dont want it falling below 65 at nite

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You do not need to get your adult bearded dragon a 120 gallon tank much less larger. I have two bearded dragons one is 11 and the other 6. I put my beardies back to 55 gallon because it was way to hard to heat a tank any larger than that and definitely is not required. Also there is a difference between dirt and sand. I have the Bio Dude set up for both of my beardies and they love it. My advice when have this set up you follow the bio dudes recommendation. If set up correctly with clean up crew and everything you won't have to buy feeders or clean the tank it will run like an eco system. Every little creature in the eco system needs certain things to survive.
55 gallon is way too small ans a 120 gallon tank is 6imches higher and one foot longer amd 6imches deeper. They need to run, move and exercise or they get stunted growth amd stresssed out. Let me guesss your Beardie stares at blank walls all day!! Mine look out the window amd watch tv!! They love mellow stuff like tv shows no violence. Let them enjoy amd live!! Stupid to say u can’t heat a 120 gallon dumbest thing I ever heard!! Buy a $12 zoomed CLEAR basking bulb for heat & the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for uvb and have diff levels of basking muse stuffed small stuffed animals from pets tires, get a hammock & high/low levels for basking!! Simple amd No sand they ingest it & it destroys their tummy. Mine eat crickets out of a huge ziplock bag shaken with some sprinkles of Repcap 3-4 times a week. That way no crickets hiding in the cage annoying my Beardie. Just think a bit!!! Also no lights ever at nite

Jimbo's Dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
How old is the dragon? If she is a year or older its possible she has started to brumate -- does she have a hide? Dragons need hides --- mine has been in his hide / cave for the last 3 days --- it is normal for them to slow down this time of year - eating slows pooping slows and they can brumate for 3 months -- leave her alone -- the time to worry is when they are losing weight or have been hiding for longer than 3 months -- you need to keep a weight on her if she decides to sleep long periods of time --- I run my lights like normal you can shut them off earlier at nite than usual - make sure she is hydrated -- when taking her out to weigh her like every couple of weeks offer her water -- if she comes out on her own to bask maybe some do not eat offer water and food -- so w/ the info that I gave about the brumation the lighting also can have the same effect -- are you using a long tube fixture w/ reflector for a UVB? basking temps are correct and taken w/a digital probe thermometer?
Thankyou so much for this info i was getting worried about my girl. She looks lathargic (misspelled) but not sick. I will watch my girl close just to make sure she does eat. But you hit the nail on the head with everything ty. Jim