• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about my beardie

Zexymenace

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi so I was hoping to get some advice on how I can help my bearded dragon? So I rescued him about 6 months ago from someone who was selling him online who didn’t know how to care for reptiles (had no heater) they weren’t able to tell me his age or what his diet had been like as it was their grandson who was caring for him and he left the country and they didn’t have much English. He’s my first beardie so I’m not experienced at all and I’m worried about his health. To me he looks fine maybe a bit on the small side but not dangerously skinny (i think?!) since I’ve had him he’s only pooped maybe 3/4 times which I know is not good, he’s not active at all and will sleep for days not moving , if I take him out of his tank he will have his eyes open and be reactive and will walk around the room (no signs of paralysis or pain) but then will just find a spot to sleep again. He also won’t eat any type of veggie I give him only sometimes will eat peppers and only eats mealworms after a lot of encouragement from me I can get him to eat some every few days but other than that he does not seem very interested in food, for hydration I spray water on him once a day and he doesn’t seem to be dehydrated when I do the pinch test on his scales. He also has a sperm plug hanging out but I’m trying to take care of that with soaks not sure if I can pull them out I don’t want to hurt him hoping he passes it with his next poop but he does not poop really at all which is my main worry! Is there any advice on what I can do to try and make him pass poop ? I’ve attached some pictures of him that were taken recently any advice is appreciated!
4A7B4613-925D-4E68-BEF1-5C4ACC790C92.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi so I was hoping to get some advice on how I can help my bearded dragon? So I rescued him about 6 months ago from someone who was selling him online who didn’t know how to care for reptiles (had no heater) they weren’t able to tell me his age or what his diet had been like as it was their grandson who was caring for him and he left the country and they didn’t have much English. He’s my first beardie so I’m not experienced at all and I’m worried about his health. To me he looks fine maybe a bit on the small side but not dangerously skinny (i think?!) since I’ve had him he’s only pooped maybe 3/4 times which I know is not good, he’s not active at all and will sleep for days not moving , if I take him out of his tank he will have his eyes open and be reactive and will walk around the room (no signs of paralysis or pain) but then will just find a spot to sleep again. He also won’t eat any type of veggie I give him only sometimes will eat peppers and only eats mealworms after a lot of encouragement from me I can get him to eat some every few days but other than that he does not seem very interested in food, for hydration I spray water on him once a day and he doesn’t seem to be dehydrated when I do the pinch test on his scales. He also has a sperm plug hanging out but I’m trying to take care of that with soaks not sure if I can pull them out I don’t want to hurt him hoping he passes it with his next poop but he does not poop really at all which is my main worry! Is there any advice on what I can do to try and make him pass poop ? I’ve attached some pictures of him that were taken recently any advice is appreciated! View attachment 29449

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is the sperm plug hanging out? Please go over the lighting- uvb and basking temps are the two most important things in the tank NO Coils for uvbs temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- 95-100- I will help you get the tank in set up

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
heres a link to a Reputable YouTuber with many rescue dragons, he’s probably backed up from the sperm plug, that needs to go asap, if you can picture his habitat thatd help us a ton, no coil/compact uvb, these are bad, you need a long tubular uvb like in the pictures, both brands are good, if you dont have most of what the pictures show , you need to get some supplies, he absolutely needs GOOD uvb, calcium, a multivitamin, and a balanced diet of bugs and veg (not all dragons eat veg regularly, so make shure the bugs have had a couple hours to eat veggies before you feed them to him) my dragon wont eat veg and is almost 2 so they can still be healthy and happy, just a little extra work on our part.

Attachments

• D1565124-B534-467F-BC4C-1128143F9201.jpeg
    D1565124-B534-467F-BC4C-1128143F9201.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 9B654224-CAA7-45F1-AF30-4C4BA240C9BE.jpeg
    9B654224-CAA7-45F1-AF30-4C4BA240C9BE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • EBCC39A8-8F4A-47FD-A2FC-04C04EC8874B.jpeg
    EBCC39A8-8F4A-47FD-A2FC-04C04EC8874B.jpeg
    574.6 KB · Views: 41
  • B3BD2E47-AB25-4B0C-A71E-D4F0EFB184E9.jpeg
    B3BD2E47-AB25-4B0C-A71E-D4F0EFB184E9.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 39
  • 723AA785-2DF4-4265-93B7-EA4459E26341.jpeg
    723AA785-2DF4-4265-93B7-EA4459E26341.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36
  • 83FC5E16-F0A6-40A3-BA9E-A8F1AD9AC1D0.jpeg
    83FC5E16-F0A6-40A3-BA9E-A8F1AD9AC1D0.jpeg
    403.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 5029F05C-A4AA-4F84-927C-810F6E4620C9.jpeg
    5029F05C-A4AA-4F84-927C-810F6E4620C9.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 35
  • CC427B6B-21CD-4793-8DFA-89B507902230.jpeg
    CC427B6B-21CD-4793-8DFA-89B507902230.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
He looks pretty good aside from his couple issues, he could use a bath and a scrubbing with a toothbrush, his nails need trimming too, but otherwise looks healthy.

Zexymenace

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is the sperm plug hanging out? Please go over the lighting- uvb and basking temps are the two most important things in the tank NO Coils for uvbs temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- 95-100- I will help you get the tank in set up
Hi so I’ve attached photos of what I had and now have in his enclosure , when I got him the tank had a uvb tube bulb which I’ve put a photo of the type but since it’s needed to be changed I haven’t been able to find the right bulb for the fixture in any petshop where I live and online it was costing a fortune to get it delivered from America so I had found this bulb in my local petshop that I replaced his basking light with that says it provides uvb and heat so I thought that this would be okay? I’ve put a photo of the this light , as for the temp the thermometer in the tank reads this and I don’t have a digital one but will buy one when I can afford to. I’ve also attached a photo of his enclosure which doesn’t look like much at the moment and I just use newspaper as the substrate as a friend who owns reptiles told me that newspaper was fine to have but any advice on what I could add to make it better for him would be appreciated ! Thank you

Attachments

• A546822C-B5E3-4A5F-AC29-F63938F04D65.jpeg
    A546822C-B5E3-4A5F-AC29-F63938F04D65.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 47
  • E7C56FC4-53BB-476D-BB40-A44F68051104.png
    E7C56FC4-53BB-476D-BB40-A44F68051104.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • 2A0A926E-F8F8-4B5C-AB08-B91C4302103A.jpeg
    2A0A926E-F8F8-4B5C-AB08-B91C4302103A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 47
  • 0FE27D90-E3AC-496C-B821-67431706ED69.jpeg
    0FE27D90-E3AC-496C-B821-67431706ED69.jpeg
    391.9 KB · Views: 49

Zexymenace

Bearded Dragon Egg
heres a link to a Reputable YouTuber with many rescue dragons, he’s probably backed up from the sperm plug, that needs to go asap, if you can picture his habitat thatd help us a ton, no coil/compact uvb, these are bad, you need a long tubular uvb like in the pictures, both brands are good, if you dont have most of what the pictures show , you need to get some supplies, he absolutely needs GOOD uvb, calcium, a multivitamin, and a balanced diet of bugs and veg (not all dragons eat veg regularly, so make shure the bugs have had a couple hours to eat veggies before you feed them to him) my dragon wont eat veg and is almost 2 so they can still be healthy and happy, just a little extra work on our part.
I’ve attached some photo in another reply of what bulbs I had and are using now as well as the enclosure any advice is appreciated thank you!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hes not getting enough uvb, you absolutely NEED the bulb, this is why your dragons not digesting his food :( please save up, does his calcium have d3? you need a digital probe thermometer, stick on thermometers only Measure ambient air temperature, also theres no basking spot, another reason he’s sleeping… bore a hole in the top and mount that light fixture inside the enclosure.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hes not getting enough uvb, you absolutely NEED the bulb, this is why your dragons not digesting his food :( please save up, does his calcium have d3? you need a digital probe thermometer, stick on thermometers only Measure ambient air temperature, also theres no basking spot, another reason he’s sleeping… bore a hole in the top and mount that light fixture inside the enclosure.
Order a reptisun 10.0 T 5 22" from here www.pangeareptiles.com and some digital probe thermometer- Zoo Med

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi so I was hoping to get some advice on how I can help my bearded dragon? So I rescued him about 6 months ago from someone who was selling him online who didn’t know how to care for reptiles (had no heater) they weren’t able to tell me his age or what his diet had been like as it was their grandson who was caring for him and he left the country and they didn’t have much English. He’s my first beardie so I’m not experienced at all and I’m worried about his health. To me he looks fine maybe a bit on the small side but not dangerously skinny (i think?!) since I’ve had him he’s only pooped maybe 3/4 times which I know is not good, he’s not active at all and will sleep for days not moving , if I take him out of his tank he will have his eyes open and be reactive and will walk around the room (no signs of paralysis or pain) but then will just find a spot to sleep again. He also won’t eat any type of veggie I give him only sometimes will eat peppers and only eats mealworms after a lot of encouragement from me I can get him to eat some every few days but other than that he does not seem very interested in food, for hydration I spray water on him once a day and he doesn’t seem to be dehydrated when I do the pinch test on his scales. He also has a sperm plug hanging out but I’m trying to take care of that with soaks not sure if I can pull them out I don’t want to hurt him hoping he passes it with his next poop but he does not poop really at all which is my main worry! Is there any advice on what I can do to try and make him pass poop ? I’ve attached some pictures of him that were taken recently any advice is appreciated! View attachment 29449
Hi like all the other people say; He needs a Clear zoomed bulb for heat and the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB!! All UVbs need replacing every 6Mnths or the dragon won’t be able to eat, walk, and he will get MBD. Please order this Uvb ASAP. Place it 10inches or more away from him if it’s placed inside the tank and if it’s above the tank he can be 7 inches or so away. All beardies need heat and Uvb for 10-12 hours in the winter and 12-14 in the summer. Stop feeding mealworms it’s impacts them and is fatty & horrible for their tummy’s. Feed crickets, dubia roaches & u can do superworms in moderation are very food but high in fat. Sprinkle calcium powder 4 times a week once per day on the feeders rite now he needs lots of calcium and proper UVB asap Amd lots of protein to get his bones strong again and his body back to normal or he will die. Baths twice a week in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min minimum or more, rub his tummy gently downwards & this will help him poop. But please stop the mealworms. Order reptile salad drsssing to drizzle on his veggies and greens do mustard greens, yellow squash, butternut squash, endives, collard greens, dandelions, snap peas ans green beans. And give more baths when he’s shedding so the skim can fall off quicker and it helps the itching. Fill the tub or sink with water up to his knees. Don’t get water in his ears. U can brush him downwards with a soft toothbrush softly & most him twice a day.

Attachments

• 01232492-3D09-416E-B72D-EFB71798BEAC.jpeg
    01232492-3D09-416E-B72D-EFB71798BEAC.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 47
  • D71881C1-6021-4B11-B7B8-40EC65BFC8C3.jpeg
    D71881C1-6021-4B11-B7B8-40EC65BFC8C3.jpeg
    686 KB · Views: 68

Jprice21

Hatchling Dragon
You need proper lighting temp is everything when it comes to there health buy some log or cave hides for him if hes a adult the cage should be preferably 40-120 gallons 40 is a minimum and feeders include wax worms super worms meal worms and vegetables

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You need proper lighting temp is everything when it comes to there health buy some log or cave hides for him if hes a adult the cage should be preferably 40-120 gallons 40 is a minimum and feeders include wax worms super worms meal worms and vegetables
Exactly temps and proper Uvb and change the UVB out every “6” mnths. Also, Mealworms impact a Beardie & is a a cheap fatty feeder. Crickets & Dubia roaches are the best alongside super worms after a year of age but in moderation cuz they are high in fat so as treats and hornworms as treats as well. And everyday I need the proper greens and veggies. Mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash which is very high in calcium which they need, butternut squash, endives, snap peas and green beans.

Jprice21

Hatchling Dragon
Julee1971 couldnt have said it better myself and also horn worms if you ever get them 2-3 times a week max they are so good too them that it is all they will eat so not too many of those

Zexymenace

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi like all the other people say; He needs a Clear zoomed bulb for heat and the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB!! All UVbs need replacing every 6Mnths or the dragon won’t be able to eat, walk, and he will get MBD. Please order this Uvb ASAP. Place it 10inches or more away from him if it’s placed inside the tank and if it’s above the tank he can be 7 inches or so away. All beardies need heat and Uvb for 10-12 hours in the winter and 12-14 in the summer. Stop feeding mealworms it’s impacts them and is fatty & horrible for their tummy’s. Feed crickets, dubia roaches & u can do superworms in moderation are very food but high in fat. Sprinkle calcium powder 4 times a week once per day on the feeders rite now he needs lots of calcium and proper UVB asap Amd lots of protein to get his bones strong again and his body back to normal or he will die. Baths twice a week in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min minimum or more, rub his tummy gently downwards & this will help him poop. But please stop the mealworms. Order reptile salad drsssing to drizzle on his veggies and greens do mustard greens, yellow squash, butternut squash, endives, collard greens, dandelions, snap peas ans green beans. And give more baths when he’s shedding so the skim can fall off quicker and it helps the itching. Fill the tub or sink with water up to his knees. Don’t get water in his ears. U can brush him downwards with a soft toothbrush softly & most him twice a day.
Thanks for the advice can you recommend any other uvb bulbs I can’t get that one in my country without it costing a fortune and taking over a month to arrive!

Zexymenace

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hes not getting enough uvb, you absolutely NEED the bulb, this is why your dragons not digesting his food :( please save up, does his calcium have d3? you need a digital probe thermometer, stick on thermometers only Measure ambient air temperature, also theres no basking spot, another reason he’s sleeping… bore a hole in the top and mount that light fixture inside the

Zexymenace

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you will do

Zexymenace

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I’ve looked online and In pet shops in my country and all uvb bulbs aren’t the right size and any lighting unit I find is out of stock or only suitable for another brand of terrarium and wouldn’t work with my setup any website that are based in Europe to recommend ? Is the compact bulb really very bad because it’s looking like I won’t have any other option any time soon?

Zexymenace

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are the compact uvb really bad ? I can’t get the bulb that’s fits my fixture in Europe and I can’t find any new light fixtures that will work in my set up only ones for certain brands, I know some options may be better than others but the bulb I have does say it’s provides uvb and it seems to be the only type of uvb I can find in Europe so I don’t know what else I can do for now unless I wait over a month to get one delivered from outside Europe :(

Latest posts