• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

**Worried about my baby Beardie - mouth & leg**

alexismariezapp

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone! New beardie mom here! I purchased him from Petco about 3 weeks ago. I have noticed this discoloration & almost scabbed looking scale on one side of his mouth (been there since I got him), & then additionally yesterday I noticed he now has a VERY swollen back ankle/foot, that he seems to be holding up (not walking on). He is very active & eating properly - he gets small crickets (approx 30-50 per day) & kale & carrots at all times in cage. He is in a 50 gal tank with a 100W heat lamp & 150W UVB! I have been misting him daily to make sure he is hydrated because I have not seen him drink from his water bowl yet! Please any advice as to what this is or how I can treat - I do not have any exotic vets in my area (1+ hour away!) thank you!!!

Attachments

• 9A69E45B-1529-45AE-A5C6-9C460697347D.jpeg
    9A69E45B-1529-45AE-A5C6-9C460697347D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • 8B73FB9E-8D06-4628-B784-6C6A45D3DC0E.jpeg
    8B73FB9E-8D06-4628-B784-6C6A45D3DC0E.jpeg
    984.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 5CC3A3B2-0BB8-4D39-B7E0-125E13C10697.jpeg
    5CC3A3B2-0BB8-4D39-B7E0-125E13C10697.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 2C6BA92B-50FA-416E-92F6-C66AA2313FD7.jpeg
    2C6BA92B-50FA-416E-92F6-C66AA2313FD7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone! New beardie mom here! I purchased him from Petco about 3 weeks ago. I have noticed this discoloration & almost scabbed looking scale on one side of his mouth (been there since I got him), & then additionally yesterday I noticed he now has a VERY swollen back ankle/foot, that he seems to be holding up (not walking on). He is very active & eating properly - he gets small crickets (approx 30-50 per day) & kale & carrots at all times in cage. He is in a 50 gal tank with a 100W heat lamp & 150W UVB! I have been misting him daily to make sure he is hydrated because I have not seen him drink from his water bowl yet! Please any advice as to what this is or how I can treat - I do not have any exotic vets in my area (1+ hour away!) thank you!!!
I just now noticed your post I am going to have some one else look at him --- what are you feeding him and is he eating---- the back foot could be caused by the hammock - its possible he got it caught in it -- -- your basking temps what are they are how are you taking them? No stick ons please you need a digital probe thermometer -- NO coils for a UVB they are inadequate --- you need a long tube fixture long a Zoo Med or a Arcadia Pro T 5 or a Sunblaster -- 24" for your tank ---

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just now noticed your post I am going to have some one else look at him --- what are you feeding him and is he eating---- the back foot could be caused by the hammock - its possible he got it caught in it -- -- your basking temps what are they are how are you taking them? No stick ons please you need a digital probe thermometer -- NO coils for a UVB they are inadequate --- you need a long tube fixture long a Zoo Med or a Arcadia Pro T 5 or a Sunblaster -- 24" for your tank ---
The person I sent the post to responded and this is what she said
I could only view the pics as very small or really large so they were distorted. Is the foot oozing something ? It may have been bitten at the store and has been swelling for a while. The mouth looks like mouth rot possibly, they can use watered down betadine dabbed on early in the day, after it dries try unpasteurized honey. Maxiguard can be used too or chlorhexedine but if it is not clearing up they will need a vet to check on it ASAP. It's good that the baby still has a strong appetite though.

www.arav.org if it comes down to going to the vet use this website to find a vet in your area if your in a small town type in the closest biggest city

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Its good hes eating --- try what I posted and let us know how things are going -- if you need help w/ the lighting UVB please ask

Latest posts