• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

worried about lazy dragon

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon
My 1 year old female bearded dragon has been very lazy the last few weeks, she doesn't make an effort to go into her basking spot as she will usually just keep laying down where she was sleeping all day, she will move if I put some superworms in her feeding bowl and she will eat them along with her greens. I also haven't taken her to the vet so worms are a possibility. The temps on her basking spot are around 105 degrees Fahrenheit and I have a living forest or living something tube UVB bulb (I can't remember the exact name of the brand but their well known). If anyone has any ideas as to what the problem could be if there actually is a problem I'm open ears.

MikePhoneJunkie

Bearded Dragon Egg
My 1 year old female bearded dragon has been very lazy the last few weeks, she doesn't make an effort to go into her basking spot as she will usually just keep laying down where she was sleeping all day, she will move if I put some superworms in her feeding bowl and she will eat them along with her greens. I also haven't taken her to the vet so worms are a possibility. The temps on her basking spot are around 105 degrees Fahrenheit and I have a living forest or living something tube UVB bulb (I can't remember the exact name of the brand but their well known). If anyone has any ideas as to what the problem could be if there actually is a problem I'm open ears.
How old is the UVB?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I'm thinking her basking is to hot, they're considered full grown between 1 - 1 1/2yrs, at that age their basking spot should be 90-95F. Try that and see if that works, let me know and we can look at some other things

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon
shes still eating superworms and the salads im giving her and i also lowered her basking spot temp, she also took a poop in her bath today and i noticed her spraying (peeing) out very small pieces of poop fast after she pooped most of it out so i asume it was very watery. do dragons tend to stop eating alot if they have parasites? other then that she seems to be the same old dragon as before.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Yes they do, you're gonna have to take her to a vet, hold on....I think I remember seeing that some of the other forum members sent a fecal sample somewhere, you'll get results and then you can take it from there, less expensive then a vet visit. However, if you can afford it take her to the vet. Keep us posted, it's always good when we can learn something here on the forum, good luck

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
You'll have to do some research if you decide not to go to vet. I don't know where or how they sent in a stool sample, I'm assuming on line

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes they do, you're gonna have to take her to a vet, hold on....I think I remember seeing that some of the other forum members sent a fecal sample somewhere, you'll get results and then you can take it from there, less expensive then a vet visit. However, if you can afford it take her to the vet. Keep us posted, it's always good when we can learn something here on the forum, good luck

the folks that used to do fecals no longer do them
If you have not had your dragon checked by a vet in awhile I would suggest that it checked for parasites to be safe.
Keep an eye on her and her poop to see if this is a pattern.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would get a fecal done to rule out any parasites and go from there. Depending on the parasite, they could lose their appetite. Was the poop horrible, room clearing smelling? That is always a good sign of parasite infection. If you mail a sample in somewhere, make sure they test for ALL worms. Some sites don't check for everything so you can get a clean bill of health only to find out there was a different parasite.

The bulb you use is All Living Things, it's the PetSmart brand. It's good that you change it every 6 months. I wish someone would make a bulb comparison chart to show not only which bulb is the best but how they all compare to each other. I know the top bulbs are Arcadia and Reptisun 10.0 and that the Reptiglo bulbs are OKAY but loose their UVB kinda fast. I don't know anything about the All Living Things bulb though.

Latest posts