• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worms!

behnk99k

Hatchling Dragon
I just wanted to share my experience. Recently, our Beardie Spike has turned his nose at crickets, & I hate them anyway, so figured it would be a good time to try worms. I placed an order for Phoenix worms, was not thrilled w/ delivery time, or how it was packaged. So I researched..found Linda's Gone Buggie!! Awesome value packs!!! Awesome customer service! Awesome price! I ordered Tuesday morning, at my door Wednesday afternoon! I got over 300 worms, wax,horn,repti,butter,& supers were thrown in free for $20.00. It was packed great. I will be ordering from them exclusively! I am wondering, since these are all new to me, tricks, or best way to store, keep them alive?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Horn worms, grow very quick. They usually come with hornworm food that should last about 2 weeks, which is usually how long you have before the worm gets too big to feed off. I store mine on the shelf under the tank away from the lights to keep them from growing too fast. Not sure about Repti, or butter worms but supers if they didn't come in their own containers with oat bran can be kept in a 5 gallon breeder with a few inches of oatmeal. You can also feed them carrots and veggies but make sure the oats don't get wet or they will get moldy.

behnk99k

Hatchling Dragon
I have the supers in my large cricket keeper(w/out the tubes obviously) I also purchased "worm food" for them. So they are set. The butter worms are in the fridge, wax-repti- horn& supers all at room temp. I realize the wax& repti(same as Phoenix) should be kept @50-55degrees, I'm working on getting a mini fridge. Do I need to dust them? Spike seems to be going thru them pretty quick, should have ordered more repti...I still only give @4 supers, they seem so big. Spike is @8 or 9 months, 17" and 331 grams. I'm having a hard time determining if he's getting enough. Is it true that 1 hornworm equals 30 crickets? Is that nutrionally?

Beardielizzy

Hatchling Dragon
I'm having the same issue
! My beardie doesn't want and crickets now all if a sudden so it's worms yuck ! Didn't realize there's so many to choose from I want to make sure our lizzy gets th right nutrition !!

behnk99k

Hatchling Dragon
Beardielizzy, I hear you! Just when I think I have it all figured out, he goes & changes! Drives me nuts. He loves the worms! Although I don't know if I'm giving him enough and since we started feeding worms, he hasn't touched his greens! Ugh! He is also not popping as often, it's been a few days, and he had a good soak yesterday &nothing. He keeps me on my toes....

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You can try putting the worms in the greens, he may "accidently" eat the greens when he goes for a worm. You can also feed the worms the greens so he can still get some of the nutrients from the salad without actually eating it. Make sure he's well hydrated, drip water on the tip of his nose so that he either licks it off or it rolls into his mouth. Also, try to feed a water filled worm like a horn or nightcrawler every now and then. When my little guy first started eating mostly supers, his poops started to get irregular. He's kinda worked it out now though and is back to going every day.

As long your bearded dragon is hydrated, worms shouldn't be a problem.

behnk99k

Hatchling Dragon
PatsyB, he has actually been drinking some water out of a plastic spoon that I hold up to his mouth, it's cute

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's great! He should poop eventually then. Sometimes they can go for a week or so without going. Just get ready for the big present he leaves you :D

behnk99k

Hatchling Dragon
Haha, I have noticed it's not nearly as stinky when he's eating worms then when he was eating crickets!! You should check out Linda's gone Buggie, they have great specials.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Haha, I have noticed it's not nearly as stinky when he's eating worms then when he was eating crickets!! You should check out Linda's gone Buggie, they have great specials.

I'll have to check her out. I tend to shy away from companies that don't send UPS. My UPS driver is the only one that knows my addiction and understands the need to be gentle with the bugs. The first time I ordered crickets they came in the mail. I came home to find a plastic mail bin on my porch with a cardboard lid on the top of it. The box had gotten destroyed and all the crickets escaped except for a small few!

behnk99k

Hatchling Dragon
Oh no! They use fedex. Like I said this whole ordering bugs online is new to me, but the difference between where I ordered the Phoenix worms from& her were mind blowing, the speed& packing were so much better.

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
Careful with the wax worms. They are super high in fat, so only offer them as a treat. Beardies don't digest fat well, so maybe a couple (2) a week max imo. I'm still kinda new to beardies, but this came straight from the lady I know at the reptile pet store, and my overpriced, but worth it, herp vet!

Latest posts