• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worm size?

lauruven

Hatchling Dragon
When it comes to what is acceptable size of a prey item for worms, such as hornworms in particular but other soft bodied worm or larvae, what is considered ok to feed? I know the general rule of thumb for nothing g bigger then space between eyes but is this also true for soft bodied insects? The space between my dragons eyes in terms of length of a worm is pretty small.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I follow the rule and I encourage you to also. You could try to feed something larger, at your beardie's risk, and sit watching on standby ready to intervene if necessary. Feeding prey items that are too large can be unnecessary risk though.

Also, he's gonna be full grown in the blink of an eye so cherish these days of smaller meals (and smaller poops! ;) )

lauruven

Hatchling Dragon
He/she is about 7mth old. I'm assuming he was very young when I got him & not sure at what age the pet stores sell their little beardies. I know it's young and knowing all I know now would have bought from breeder but that's not either here nor there so work wirh what I got. I often can't also find hornworms less then a inch long. Nibbles for whatever reason has decided it will no longer eat crickets and is hot/cold about dubias. Where before he/she just gobbled anything up that moved. So I just don't know i was feeding mainly bsfl for a period of time, still all this time attempting to get nibs back going on other foods, but continues to reject and now rejects bsfl. I'm at a loss with this lizard and what I can find affordable and available for its protein source. I wish it would just start eating crickets or dubias again. I do dust w/ multi & vit d3 every feeding w/ a rare feeding with no supplements. Any other tips I'd appreciate too on what to do
When it comes to what is acceptable size of a prey item for worms, such as hornworms in particular but other soft bodied worm or larvae, what is considered ok to feed? I know the general rule of thumb for nothing g bigger then space between eyes but is this also true for soft bodied insects? The space between my dragons eyes in terms of length of a worm is pretty smal

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
in my experience hornworms grow too rapidly to reliably find them small. plus they'll probably cost the same which would be A LOT for the amount of food you'd get.
there must be another reason he isn't eating. what are his temperatures like? is he pooping normally? eating any greens?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your dragon should be able to eat large dubias and crickets please post a pic of the dragon rule of thumb is true insect should not be no bigger than the space between his eyes - this goes for staple insects like crickets and dubias - - he should be able to handle large hornworms too but sometimes they get too big you can cut them in half --- if hes not eating something is off in the tank -- temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer for surface basking temps -- UVB should be a long tube fixture NO coils please those would be in a dome --- he wont eat if this is off -- if you need more help w/ UVB's please let me know I can post 3 good ones

lauruven

Hatchling Dragon
Your dragon should be able to eat large dubias and crickets please post a pic of the dragon rule of thumb is true insect should not be no bigger than the space 3between his eyes - this goes for staple insects like crickets and dubias - - he should be able to handle large hornworms too but sometimes they get too big you can cut them in half --- if hes not eating something is off in the tank -- temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer for surface basking temps -- UVB should be a long tube fixture NO coils please those would be in a dome --- he wont eat if this is off -- if you need more help w/ UVB's please let me know I can post 3 good ones
I have the Acadia 12% I believe about 11 inches from basking area. Basking temp w/ infrared thermometer reads 107. Need to get batteries for other thermometer which I'll do later. He is eating but only wants mealworms which I hate giving in & feeding. He is pooping & urination is normal. I just don't know why he keeps refusing anything but meal worms. He's offered salad daily but not a fan of it and eats it more sporadically. Greens consist of dandelion, kale, collards,&/or romaine. The romaine I don't feed often buy if have little left over from feeding guinea pigs ill add a tablespoon or 2. Occasionally add peppers, tiny piece of apple or strawberry. Also add butternut or acorn squash regularly.

lauruven

Hatchling Dragon
I have the Acadia 12% I believe about 11 inches from basking area. Basking temp w/ infrared thermometer reads 107. Need to get batteries for other thermometer which I'll do later. He is eating but only wants mealworms which I hate giving in & feeding. He is pooping & urination is normal. I just don't know why he keeps refusing anything but meal worms. He's offered salad daily but not a fan of it and eats it more sporadically. Greens consist of dandelion, kale, collards,&/or romaine. The romaine I don't feed often buy if have little left over from feeding guinea pigs ill add a tablespoon or 2. Occasionally add peppers, tiny piece of apple or strawberry. Also add butternut or acorn squash regularly.
Uvb is strip light not coil

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Uvb is strip light not coil
He has gotten you trained --- NO more meal worms they are basically a treat worm --- the romaine is good -- - try some butternut squash - you want the digital probe thermometers -- IR guns are good but do not read off of certain basking materials like slate that gets really hot and hammocks - 107 is too hot for a adult dragon - they like temps between 95-100-- you can get some BSFL to put on the salads as lures - drop them onto the salads in front of him around 20-25 of them -- www.symtonbsf.com order large -- how old is the UVB and where do you have it placed at ? top of screen or inside the tank - the screen will determine where it needs to go

Latest posts