• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Won't Swallow and has Thick Saliva

Ashytree

Bearded Dragon Egg
I gave my beardie chard, but she didn't seem interested in leaving her perch. She has been staring at my for hours, so I assumed she was hungry. She ate one leaf piece I hand fed her. She just stared at the food for a long time so I hand fed her again. She spat out the piece of stem I gave her and then bit down on the leaf I gave her after, but let it slide out of her mouth, and the leaf slowly fell, her saliva came in a huge, thick thread. Is she dehydrated or something? Goonie NEVER loses her appetite.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would get her to a vet ASAP. Excess saliva is a sign of respiratory infection and needs to be treated with antibiotics. In the mean time up the temp in her tank to help keep her comfortable. I also recently read that when she sleeps put her on an angle so her head is facing down so the saliva comes out her mouth instead of going down her throat and choking her.

Also, chard is very high in vitamin A and oxalates and it doesn't make a good veggie choice. Here is a good list of healthy veggies and fruits http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf

Latest posts