• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wont eat anything but Kale

emma5774

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! I have a year old beardie! We got him at 7 months old and was told he wont eat anything but kale. We are new beardie owners so we didn't know if that was good or bad. We offer him everything. I have researched what they can eat and what they like. We give him mangos, bananas, blueberries, carrots, bell peppers and apple. Sometimes he will take one bite of them but other than that he wont touch it! He devours the kale every day and he eats on average 8 super worms and 3 dubia roaches daily. He is a good weight considering he doesnt eat much. I was told too much kale can cause thyroid issues. He is not food or bug motivated at all. Is there something I can do to encourage him to eat other things?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! I have a year old beardie! We got him at 7 months old and was told he wont eat anything but kale. We are new beardie owners so we didn't know if that was good or bad. We offer him everything. I have researched what they can eat and what they like. We give him mangos, bananas, blueberries, carrots, bell peppers and apple. Sometimes he will take one bite of them but other than that he wont touch it! He devours the kale every day and he eats on average 8 super worms and 3 dubia roaches daily. He is a good weight considering he doesnt eat much. I was told too much kale can cause thyroid issues. He is not food or bug motivated at all. Is there something I can do to encourage him to eat other things?
Kale is a great staple feeder for greens its better than collards - try mixing the collard or turnip greens w/ your kale long w/ squash like zucchini or yellow - make him a regular salad of those things
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
ignore the kale thing a study was done on this https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/kale-is-good-for-your-beardies.252256/
please cut back on the super worms --- 8 is a lot for everyday and feed more dubias - they are a main staple feeder for your juvie / adult dragon- supers should be fed every other day 3 at most - you can try other staple feeder bugs like silk worms or BSFL or crickets - I wouldnt recommend crickets tho --

Latest posts