• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Won't defecate

Corporal

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've had my beardie for roughly a week and a half now, and for the first few days he's been fine but now, despite eating normally, s/he won't go to the toilet at all. Any advice on what this might be or how I can get him to go to the toilet again? His diet is purely Crickets, around 7-10 a day if that helps. Thanks.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hi. how old is it? what does your tank look like? what are your temps? - lets start with that and see where we go

Corporal

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,
He's finally gone now, so no immediate panick, however would still like advice.
He's a juvenile (don't know exact age) around 7in head to tail. Tank set-up is basic, wooden branch structure, water dish and substrate. In the day his day temp at the hot end is 30 (86) with a cool area of around 28 (82) and at night I bring the temp of hot area down to 28 (82). Would it be worth bringing that down further? Hotter in the day?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You will find the links under our comments to be of great help in getting the info you are looking for as far as temps for that small of a dragon they do need to be warmer for sure.. a baby needs to be in the low 100-107F in the basking area, 90-95ish warm area and it can go down to 65F at night in the cool area.. Sooo temps may be the reason he isn't pooping normally..
Also what is your substrate?? we typically recommend no loose substrate as it can cause impaction and also harbor bacteria, and holds smells.. so tile, shelf paper, paper towels, newspaper..
What UVB are you using?

the links are below several of our comments and can also be found in the general care section at the top of the topics..

Corporal

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I've adjusted the temperatures accordingly. He has a gravel substrate though feeds in a separate container. The UVB is 12%.

I have noticed recently that he is becoming more pale in his head and body, though still natural at the tail. I have attached a picture. Do you know what this may be?

a265d22a38ed4a47ccaac70d3a9f63d9.jpg

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
hes probably about to shed, its perfectly normal. Those sensors need to be off the floor of your viv really, or you wont get accurate temps. The gravel substrate is up to you, but its not really recommended because of impaction risk, also it harbours bacteria, gets smelly and makes a mess. Reptile carpet, tiles, paper towels or shelf paper are all much better and easy to clean

Corporal

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for that. Do you suggest I hang the sensors from the branch to the left, or where else?

Update: Colour back to normal.

674ec370afc7c036006e340ec0aa7f5f.jpg

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I hang mine off the back wall towards the hot end for my thermostat, about 6 inches up and 12 across. That way I get an accurate read of ambient air temps at the hot end of my viv where you need it most. as long as its not directly under the basking lamp

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
When I used probe thermometers I always zip tied them right to the basking stick where the dragon sits.

Corporal

Bearded Dragon Egg
One of them is a sensor for a 'HabiStat' (the thing that controls when the heater is on or off. And the other one is a basic thermometer as the HabiStat doesn't have a screen with readings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Whatever is measuring your temps, needs to somehow be right under the basking lamp.

Latest posts