• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wondering about roaches

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
My daughter and I have 4-1/2 month old Beardies and have been feeding them reptiworms. We've been wondering about going with roaches. Can you tell us the pros and cons of going this direction?

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
No cons on roaches at all in my opinion. They are much more higher in "meat" content, a lot more hardier of an insect (less die off), they are not picky eaters, easy to breed, live anywhere from 1-2 years if breeding with proper roach husbandry, they DO NOT stink unlike crickets and the babies eat most of their poop in there (sounds gross but it's what they do). With the appropriate sized roaches, you will get your moneys worth and actually save compared to repti-worms and crickets. I hope this helps

I'm sure we can tell you how to raise and even breed them if you are interested as well.

Roaches....... The other "other" White Meat!

Last edited:

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
No cons on roaches at all in my opinion. They are much more higher in "meat" content, a lot more hardier of an insect (less die off), they are not picky eaters, easy to breed, live anywhere from 1-2 years if breeding with proper roach husbandry, they DO NOT stink unlike crickets and the babies eat most of their poop in there (sounds gross but it's what they do). With the appropriate sized roaches, you will get your moneys worth and actually save compared to repti-worms and crickets. I hope this helps

I'm sure we can tell you how to raise and even breed them if you are interested as well.

Roaches....... The other "other" White Meat!
Great! I like the sound of all of this. Ours tried crickets for a couple of days and then decided that no way were they going to eat crickets! Looks like we'll be going with roaches so can you direct me as to how to raise them/keep them alive?

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
I breed Dubia Roaches here. All my reptiles love them. Even any boarding reptiles I have.
My Rankin on the other hand. He's one fussy git.
But like any food, variation is the key to maintain the health of your beardie. In this case, changing it up is good from time to time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
The only cons are the initial investment, and typically having to wait 2-3 months to get the colony established. I would recommend doing a search on YouTube. Typically the most popular ones give you the best setup and care info. Good luck!

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
Obviously, you will get quicker results in the way of breeding when getting more at the start. With the dubia I went with roughly 5 female to 1 male. And had around 100 at the start.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
Once you try roaches once, you'll never want to see another cricket in your life.

Best decision I've ever made was starting up my own colony. They don't climb, jump, fly, eat other, stink, make noise... nothing.

Once you get over the idea of having roaches in your house, you'll wish you would have done it sooner.

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
Once you try roaches once, you'll never want to see another cricket in your life.

Best decision I've ever made was starting up my own colony. They don't climb, jump, fly, eat other, stink, make noise... nothing.

Once you get over the idea of having roaches in your house, you'll wish you would have done it sooner.
That's what I'm struggling with! The idea of having roaches! But of course, for the love of my beardie..........

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
They are not bad. My Wife had a phobia of them because she experienced a friend's dirty house fill with roaches when she was a child. Handling some of the bigger ones still gives her the jitters but she has no problem since the very first day we got them from MiloO. Just think Giant Rollie Pollies.... also think, they are clean because you have them and know what they eat. Mealworms, crickets and oh!.... Silkworms are the worst with poop. But Dubia Roaches are not bad at all. No stench and hardly any mess. And after your BD tries them for the first time, that alone will be your decision maker.... Aries made me extremely happy when he tore them to shreds for the first time. He devours his Dubias to this day!

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
They are not bad. My Wife had a phobia of them because she experienced a friend's dirty house fill with roaches when she was a child. Handling some of the bigger ones still gives her the jitters but she has no problem since the very first day we got them from MiloO. Just think Giant Rollie Pollies.... also think, they are clean because you have them and know what they eat. Mealworms, crickets and oh!.... Silkworms are the worst with poop. But Dubia Roaches are not bad at all. No stench and hardly any mess. And after your BD tries them for the first time, that alone will be your decision maker.... Aries made me extremely happy when he tore them to shreds for the first time. He devours his Dubias to this day!
Okay! Thank you so much for the encouragement! We are ordering our first batch of them today. *shudder* :eek::D

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
LMAO @ your shuddering.... No problem and anytime. You won't be disappointed. I will tell you if you are picking up Dubias for the 1st time, they are strong insects and they do cling onto things easy... but they are harmless. Oh, side note... their poop is excellent fertilizer. I use it for my Bonsai.

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
LMAO @ your shuddering.... No problem and anytime. You won't be disappointed. I will tell you if you are picking up Dubias for the 1st time, they are strong insects and they do cling onto things easy... but they are harmless. Oh, side note... their poop is excellent fertilizer. I use it for my Bonsai.
Well, you'll be proud of me! My daughter and I now have a roach colony doing well and of course, just as you said, our beardies love them. Hers runs around and grabs them; mine watches them and only will eat if I pick it up with a tweezer and hand it to her. (Course she's the same way about crickets!) We got the assortment just as you suggested. They are truly gross but not as bad as what I was thinking. I just keep thinking as you said that they are just Giant Rollie Pollies. :p:D

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
LOL, OH my you have me rolling! And just think, you would have never thought about touching roaches in your life! LOL. It is a Blessing to see you are handling them so well. The best way to grab them with tweezers is by one of their hind legs. The won't pull their legs off like crickets do. Keep on thinking Giant Rollie Pollies.... LOL, I'm sorry. You are a good sport and I'm sure your family's BD is very happy.

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
LOL, OH my you have me rolling! And just think, you would have never thought about touching roaches in your life! LOL. It is a Blessing to see you are handling them so well. The best way to grab them with tweezers is by one of their hind legs. The won't pull their legs off like crickets do. Keep on thinking Giant Rollie Pollies.... LOL, I'm sorry. You are a good sport and I'm sure your family's BD is very happy.
And we ordered from Erin. LOVE the customer service! All roaches were alive too!

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
When I got my beardie a few months ago I was horrified at the idea of roaches but went ahead and ordered a few hundred of them. Ive gone from hollering and jumping on furniture when I had an escapee to just scooping it up and handing it to Puff. Sometimes I catch myself touching the roaches and think "whats happened to me!". The reaction Puff had to roaches when she first had them was all I needed to be okay with housing these guys. I never thought I'd say this but, theyre not that bad

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
I'm just dying laughing over here reading your post about hollering and jumping on the furniture! :D I haven't gotten brave enough to pick them up by hand (even though Bushmaster is trying to get me to think of them only as rollie pollies!) but know that one of these days I will drop one off of my tweezers and scream!

But quite honestly, they are not that bad. Not nearly as bad as I thought they would be.

Latest posts