• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Withholding poop?

Bluebell_1990

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi so I’m new to beardie parent life hagrid is a 4 year old male previous owner had trouble feeding greens however I’ve managed to get him to eat greens now yayyy however when I first got him he was pooping everyday now it’s like he holds his poop unless he has bugs is this normal? Is it like a protest? He gets bugs Monday Wednesday and Friday about 45 medium dubia a week with occasional Mario I sometimes give him locusts instead of dubia to change up abit

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi so I’m new to beardie parent life hagrid is a 4 year old male previous owner had trouble feeding greens however I’ve managed to get him to eat greens now yayyy however when I first got him he was pooping everyday now it’s like he holds his poop unless he has bugs is this normal? Is it like a protest? He gets bugs Monday Wednesday and Friday about 45 medium dubia a week with occasional Mario I sometimes give him locusts instead of dubia to change up abit
Please increase the size of the roaches so the amount cuts down - he should eat around 4 X large roaches at one feeding - roaches are famous for causing gout because of the uric acid content - please cut them back and I would go to 2 times per week - he needs mainly salads now - the pooping thing is normal for them not to go to the bathroom very often - mine sometimes dont poop for 2-3 weeks- as long as your surface basking temps are good taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and you have a good UVB like a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12 % bulb or a Zoo Med or a Sunblaster Nano Tech -- both w / the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulbs- I would give a variety of staple insects like crickets dont really care for them they stink or silk worms or BSFL - the mario worms are a treat worm along w/ horn worms meal worms - those can all be fed as treats every other day - but I would for sure cut back on the dubias

Bluebell_1990

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please increase the size of the roaches so the amount cuts down - he should eat around 4 X large roaches at one feeding - roaches are famous for causing gout because of the uric acid content - please cut them back and I would go to 2 times per week - he needs mainly salads now - the pooping thing is normal for them not to go to the bathroom very often - mine sometimes dont poop for 2-3 weeks- as long as your surface basking temps are good taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and you have a good UVB like a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12 % bulb or a Zoo Med or a Sunblaster Nano Tech -- both w / the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulbs- I would give a variety of staple insects like crickets dont really care for them they stink or silk worms or BSFL - the mario worms are a treat worm along w/ horn worms meal worms - those can all be fed as treats every other day - but I would for sure cut back on the dubias
So he should only be getting around 20 large dubia per week? Previous owner was giving him bugs everyday so I’ve definitely cut way down on the amount he was getting before it’s a process I’ve only had him a couple of months I only give him around two mario worms a week I’m going to try him with silk worms he has a pro t5 lamp it’s finding things he will eat he’s very very fussy he doesn’t like any fruits at all I tryed bee pollen he doesn’t care for that he only eats spring greens pak choy and I can just about get away with squash and peppers

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So he should only be getting around 20 large dubia per week? Previous owner was giving him bugs everyday so I’ve definitely cut way down on the amount he was getting before it’s a process I’ve only had him a couple of months I only give him around two mario worms a week I’m going to try him with silk worms he has a pro t5 lamp it’s finding things he will eat he’s very very fussy he doesn’t like any fruits at all I tryed bee pollen he doesn’t care for that he only eats spring greens pak choy and I can just about get away with squash and peppers
I would offer some treat worms more often and yes he does not need all that protein - more salads - w/ all the variety he will be fine w/ out the dubias- his diet should be 80% salads and 20% protein now-- make sure he is hydrated that will help w/ the pooping thing too

Bluebell_1990

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would offer some treat worms more often and yes he does not need all that protein - more salads - w/ all the variety he will be fine w/ out the dubias- his diet should be 80% salads and 20% protein now-- make sure he is hydrated that will help w/ the pooping thing too
Thankyou he’s definitely hydrated all urate completely normal I’m going to try reducing his bugs more

Latest posts