• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Willow's beard is swollen and saggy, what is this?

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
Hey everyone :)
i woke up this morning and checked on Willow first thing to find the area under her beard swollen, it almost feels and looks like its water filled? its been flat since i got her a week ago, take a look....

here she is a few days ago
399875_2488956995341_1595211463_31814853_1281796974_n.jpg

Here she is today:

ekF7U.jpg

Lptvu.jpg

7eV2X.jpg

She was very emaciated when i got her so i don't know if its just weight gain? i weighed her today and she's 128grams but i haven't weighed her sooner :)

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I wouldnt worry yet, if it stays that way indefinately there may be something going on but mine kindve "inflates" and deflates her beard like that. The bags get bigger and saggyer as they grow and age

Heres mine deflated
2011-12-21095729.jpg

And inflated

IMG_6902.jpg

007.jpg

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sometimes they do it just because they can and want to annoy and stress us out

Sometimes for a short period theyll store some food there, not long though, not till the next day, usually an hour or two, no longer

Sometimes when theres like a jaw motion accompanying it (kindve like a gagging motion/reflex) its to stretch the beard getting ready for an oncoming shed

And then theres the other sometimes...........the one we hope it is not and why i said you must check to see if it stays that way permanently
Where they have an infection of some kind that needs vet treatment