• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Will all crickets find the food?

bennylava

Hatchling Dragon
I got some of that orange cricket gut load food. The gel stuff. Bought a big 7.5lb tub of the stuff. And, my 250 crickets came in today. So my question is this. Will ALL the crickets find their way to the little dish of food?

Do crickets smell and seek out that food? Or are they simply too stupid, and so I need to put some food in each corner of the 10 gallon tank?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The crickets will find the food. If you are worried about them finding it you could divide it up and put some on each side of the tank. You also need to make sure your crickets get plenty of hydration. So either the Flukers gel or a moist sponge, or even daily vegetables would work. Don't use a water bowl, they will drown.

bennylava

Hatchling Dragon
Yes I got the Flukers orange Gel. Gut load I guess. I see them eating it, but I wanted make sure ALL the crickets would be able to find it. Hopefully its got a little scent in there for them or something.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think either is fine. I have to say I mostly use the Flukers and use greens as like a treat. I have very little die off and neither Dexter or my frogs have ever shown signs of being sick or lacking anything from their crickets.

Dennis Cronin

Juvenile Dragon
I never figured out how to keep crickets alive longer term. I had gel for them and food but after a week they'd bite it. My dubia roaches live forever and get scarey big but Capbo eat's em happily. It's pretty disgusting watching him eat a big one as most of the bug is hanging out his mouth wiggling around while he's chewing the other piece. Dainty is not a word that comes to mind.

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
An easy way to feed and provide hydration for either crickets or dubia roaches is apples.

My roach colony goes crazy over them and rarely leaves any traces of said apples! (Cut into halves)

For crickets I feed a mixture of greens/apples (cut into small chunks) and they survive longer for me than when I used store-bought gutload.

Either way - Dubia Roaches have definitely won my personal like contest. (Team Dubia)

Noise level - 0 - if you take away the occasional skittering and clambering.
Stink Level - 0 - you'll only smell what you feed them.
Care Level - 1 - They are fairly autonomous and rarely need a cleaning (keep them warm and in the dark).
Tasty Level - 5 - Merlin will fall over himself attempting to get to these, every time.
-JM

bennylava

Hatchling Dragon
What is the cost of dubia roaches over crickets? And can you buy them when they're they size of a cricket?

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
I've researched dubia roaches a bit to use for food instead of crix but it seems to me they reproduce like CRAZY and I dont want all those bugs if my bd wont eat them. (He's never tried them) Dont know whether to give it a try or not and I cant find a place where I live or online that will sell just a couple to try them out! Ive heard too that the advantages of them over crix are significant.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Lol yeah they kinda give me the creeps too but whatever is best for Banyon I'll do. Cutting heads off superworms isnt my favorite but for a treat I do it anyway for additional protein source :)

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
What is the cost of dubia roaches over crickets? And can you buy them when they're they size of a cricket?

bennylava, the cost of RAISING dubia's vs buying or raising crickets is drastically significant.

Before I began raising dubia roaches (which, again, is simple) I was spending close to $40-60 a week on crickets at local pet shops for one Merlin. He eats like a madman.
I purchased 450+ varying dubia roaches for $60 (locally, mind you) and have never had to put more money into them besides the small basics to feed them (water crystals, apples, and various food items/mixes).

You can purchase them online in "starter kits" or by type.
They range in size from nymphs (smaller than small crickets in a pet shop) to adults (MUCH larger than the adult crickets I've seen).

Buying Dubias as feeders WON'T be cost effective over simply buying crickets as feeders.
Raising a colony is where the true benefits lie.

If I had continued at the pace I was with purchasing crickets, I would have been spending $2080 - $3120 a year on crickets.

Also, the benefits of a dubia HEAVILY outweigh the creepiness of them (which for me is less than a cricket which could hop away and hide)!

I've researched dubia roaches a bit to use for food instead of crix but it seems to me they reproduce like CRAZY and I dont want all those bugs if my bd wont eat them. (He's never tried them) Dont know whether to give it a try or not and I cant find a place where I live or online that will sell just a couple to try them out! Ive heard too that the advantages of them over crix are significant.

atochats - http://www.buydubiaroaches.com/dubiaroaches.html is a site that I've found sells just a few.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
3 males and 10 females sounds ok...I'd imagine it would be enough to (in time) establish a colony..but if he wouldn't eat them I wouldnt be stuck with 50 or so of them thank you!! :) Oh, as far as keeping crix alive longer I've found that temp plays a big part in it, nice and warm but not hot. Also pick out any dead DAILY. I use the fluckers brand yellow jello looking stuff for moisture source, and the same brand brown powdered stuff as food source (suplimented with fresh veggies and cereal or oatmeal.) I use disposable dishes and replace the egg crate often. Crix are just sooo dirty, its hard to keep things clean but it does help

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
atochats - that's not a bad idea! Though I'll be surprised if he doesn't like them! ;)

That's another reason I'm not a fan of crickets.. the "dirty" aspect leads to atrocious smells..
A problem I will never have to deal with in raising dubias.

Latest posts