• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

wild bugs

dragonfab32

Hatchling Dragon
hey im kind of a noob with feeding but ive been told by petsmart that feeding wild bugs will cause parasites of course though im not going to listen to them because of the false info ive been fed by them before so anyone ever tried certain soft bodied wild insects? such as flies, caterpillars, etc...

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Its true it's never a good idea to use wild insects or worms for your beardie. Not only is parasites an issue but you never know what kind of pesticides or chemical residues they may have been exposed to.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
LOL yes...even fresh out of spring! Residual chemical effects or contaminants. Not to mention anything else (like a dog peeing on your dandelion greens?). Bottom line is that in captivity or a controlled environment we have CONTROL over every aspect of that cricket's life cycle (or whatever) and thus it's much more likely that it will be healthy to feed to our beardies. For example: I myself use grub killer on my lawn. Well, this is applied in the fall along with a turf builder. Now in the spring the turf gets thicker and the grubs get deader. What happens if I feed a hornworm off my tomato plants to my dragon? These tomato plants are growing in soil very close to where I put the chemicals. The plant is exposed and so is the worm eating the plant... no good. It's a small world, eh? You can do as you wish obviously, I just wouldn't recommend it. :)

Latest posts