• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild beardies....and supplements.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was thinking this morning....

In the wild, how do beardies get supplemented properly? I mean, I'm assuming they don't have readily access to collard, mustard, turnip, and dandelion greens, and the other fruits veggies we feed ours daily. And on top of that, the multi-vitamins and calcium supplements. How is it they get these naturally? Evidently, they're getting them somehow as they do very well in the wild. And any pics I've seen of wild beardies, they look rather healthy. So how do they do it? What's their trick?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm no expert but I would think that their natural diet is balanced out for them whereas in captivity we don't have much of the things they eat in the wild and have to make up for it by supplementing. Also they don't live as long in the wild so that could also be part of it too. Once again just taking a shot in the dark on this one.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
I'm no expert but I would think that their natural diet is balanced out for them whereas in captivity we don't have much of the things they eat in the wild and have to make up for it by supplementing. Also they don't live as long in the wild so that could also be part of it too. Once again just taking a shot in the dark on this one.

Yeah...I've been thinking along the same lines. But I wonder, how often do they eat? And when they eat, how much of it is beneficial? How long can they go without eating?

Just questions that have been going through my head.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nothing I have hard evidence on, so I think, to get those answers, you would have to observe in the wild, many subjects, during different seasons, and locations. And make notes , then compare those notes.
Janie

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Nothing I have hard evidence on, so I think, to get those answers, you would have to observe in the wild, many subjects, during different seasons, and locations. And make notes , then compare those notes.
Janie

Okay. Well....maybe Francis has a good idea.

I have a reason I'm asking. Just wanting to see the kind of answers I get.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've always wondered what the natural vegetation in their natural habitat was because I was curious what greens and plants they ate.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Or, we wait for Francis, the Aussie lizard encyclopedia to answer this question for us. I have also wondered this.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
G'day mates,

Natural diets succulents, bush plants, skinks, locust, spiders, geckos, cockroaches, small native mammals (spinifex hopping mouse etc..) anything and everything they can fit in their mouths.
They can go for long periods of fasting (as any reptile can ;))
AVG life span in the wild up to 5-7 years (bet you guys thought it was shorter ;))
Natural Aussie sun for the production of D3
Calcium from foods (vertebrates and anthropods)
Feeding schedule, whenever they can
Soaking (what soaking? lol)
Hydration intake strictly from food items or dew forming in the mornings (when it happens)
Puddles from the rainy season (when it happens) a welcome bonus.

Cheers,

For specific info simply search for native Austrlian flora/fauna within their range.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you Aussie lizard encyclopedia...I knew you would be able to answer

Latest posts