• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

why should beardie take a bath?

shadowsong

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i'm wondering why should beardie take a bath to induce BM? they dont normally do that in the wild right? since they live in the desert.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't know why, but I do know that it works like a charm. And it is so much easier to clean up than big smellie poo in the enclosure. I also know that when I give Scarlet a bath she sometimes drinks A LOT so it is a good source of hydration either way. I fill up a small plastic tub with watet and also fill the bottom of my soaking tub. I put her in the plastic tub and as soon as she poops I take her out and let her sit in the BIG tub for awhile. She loves it!!!

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It helps them to stay hydrated. A lot of beardies won't drink from a water bowl so this is a great way for them to get it. And a plus is them pooping in there and not their viv ;)

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
my beardie likes to poop in his food and water dish almost daily, usually while im at work for the day so when I give him a bath nothing happens. it has worked a few times. but Worley likes to swim around in the tub (only if i keep my hands in the deeper end so he has a resting spot). it gives him some exercise and keeps him hydrated at the same time.

shadowsong

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i mean they dont normally need it right? i think in the wild they only get water from morning dew and veggies, and it's a lot hotter in the dessert than captivity. i give bath to mine, just wondering why i should do that.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well it seems like a lot of beardies won't drink from their water dish if they have one. I haven't seen Jethro use it but I keep one there just in case. Also you could continue to give them a bath to help them stay hydrated, and then spray their veggie dishes a few times a day to keep that moist as well for moisture intake. That's what I do sometimes, just spray the food with some water and that helps the food stay fresh awhile longer too so it won't dry out.

Birdmad Girl

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My beardie loves his bath time. I use a cat litter tray with warm water as in this photo:

5211_108400538462_516543462_2224232_6215562_n.jpg

Dunc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Shadowsong

Its a good question, My theory has been over the last 9 years of owning beardies is 2 fold.

Beardies kept in Viv's have a very dry existence with very to little moisture content. In the wild the humidity is much higher and as such they absorb moisture through their bodies.

Secondly, all of my beardies love bath time. Your right beardies in the wild dont bath.. Why because they cant turn the taps on

These are only my theories, but hey Im as mad as the dragons

Stephanie Stewart

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My Beardie seems to HATE the bath. I leave him in the tub and sometimes he will poo but after that he is scrapping at the edges practically begging to get out. Also, my Beardie poos all the time in his viv. I feed him turnip greens and some collard greens. I was also using Kale but I read there are more nutrients in the two I give my Beardie as well zucchini. I tend to feed my Beardie 40 crickets a week because I am scared of impaction. I do not have the money to take Phoenix to the vet. I do all I can to raise a perfect Beardie. As far as lighting goes, I just have a basking bulb during the day and a red heat bulb at night. I keep the water dish in there but rarely see Phoenix go near it, he would rather hang out in the hammock or on the cinderblocks. I feel Beardies will get proper hydration from the veggies they eat as well as a bath one to two times per week. My Beardie is a year old now :) Best wishes to all you Beardie Owners :)

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My Beardie seems to HATE the bath. I leave him in the tub and sometimes he will poo but after that he is scrapping at the edges practically begging to get out. Also, my Beardie poos all the time in his viv. I feed him turnip greens and some collard greens. I was also using Kale but I read there are more nutrients in the two I give my Beardie as well zucchini. I tend to feed my Beardie 40 crickets a week because I am scared of impaction. I do not have the money to take Phoenix to the vet. I do all I can to raise a perfect Beardie. As far as lighting goes, I just have a basking bulb during the day and a red heat bulb at night. I keep the water dish in there but rarely see Phoenix go near it, he would rather hang out in the hammock or on the cinderblocks. I feel Beardies will get proper hydration from the veggies they eat as well as a bath one to two times per week. My Beardie is a year old now :) Best wishes to all you Beardie Owners :)

My BD is the same way. Although sometimes when I try to get him out of the tub he runs away to the deeper end and starts swimming around. Its quite cute.

shadowsong

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ah lots of reply, its been a while since the last time i login. thanks to you all, i think Dunc almost answer my question, because in the wild the humidity is higher than captivity, the problem is i live in Indonesia, it's a tropical country and the humidity is high, but i think yes, the humidity in their habitat is higher :)

Latest posts