• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why is beardie starting to do this

markorussell

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I changed her tank around to give her a wider basking surface . She likes it I think but sometimes I notice she's sitting like this with her mouth open ?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422316506.410247.jpg

She had just eaten some super worms before this also.

Ryan & rosco

Hatchling Dragon
See bearded dragons can't sweat like us people do so they use the slyvai in there mouth. Depending in who you ask it means the temperature is perfect but some people say it's two hot. I think if the dragon is sitting that close to the light and isn't constantly staying on the cool side then it's perfect

markorussell

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ryan thanks for replying also ... She is right under the lights and has a cooler side of the tank also
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422335794.840413.jpg

I guess she was choosing to be hot lol

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Yep that's perfectly fine. She a beautiful girl. Shud post ur measuments of her on the thread nice to c how big n heavy she is she looks a real big girl :)

markorussell

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
thanks a bunch. For my First Reptile and first bearded, I think shes doing pretty well. I research alot before getting a new pet so I know what to do when I get it. and find forums like this for support on new things or issues heeheheheh

markorussell

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I believe she was last 13 inches at measuring from head to tail ( average of course as I was doing it alone)

Ryan & rosco

Hatchling Dragon
Glad we could help. That's a great set up she has. And you will notice throughout her life the stages of heat and cool. It's just what they like to do.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Dragons are very particular in their thermoregulation, and you are seeing evidence of it. The reason they gape is because the most particular part of their thermoregulation is just like ours, their brains. As you can see from your picture, the head is the thing closest to the light, and so the closest to the heat. That means it will heat up faster than the rest of the body. Since the rest of the body still needs to continue warming up to the ideal temperature, but they dont want their brains to overheat, they gape. This means the saliva in their mouth evaporates and cools the head, while the body continue to soak up the rays and warm up.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Dragons are very particular in their thermoregulation, and you are seeing evidence of it. The reason they gape is because the most particular part of their thermoregulation is just like ours, their brains. As you can see from your picture, the head is the thing closest to the light, and so the closest to the heat. That means it will heat up faster than the rest of the body. Since the rest of the body still needs to continue warming up to the ideal temperature, but they dont want their brains to overheat, they gape. This means the saliva in their mouth evaporates and cools the head, while the body continue to soak up the rays and warm up.

Great explanation. Thank you

Latest posts