• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why a Beardie?

TripleB

Bearded Dragon Egg
My family is going to get our first reptile.

My son (14 yo) likes the crested gecko, my daughter (24 yo) likes the leopard gecko, and I like the bearded dragon. My wife wants none.

What makes the bearded dragon the best choice? ( so I can convince my kids )

Thanks!

TripleB

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My family is going to get our first reptile.

My son (14 yo) likes the crested gecko, my daughter (24 yo) likes the leopard gecko, and I like the bearded dragon. My wife wants none.

What makes the bearded dragon the best choice? ( so I can convince my kids )

Thanks!

TripleB
I only have the dragon-- geckos I know nothing about-- I dont know what they require for husbandry or anything -- some on here might be able to help you w/ that ---

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Im not gonna write u a piece on how you should convince them to get a beardie lol , personally i think u should get them what they want , (and get both) (a beardie is gonna cost you triple compared to the two) i wouldn’t go with a beardie (even though i love mine) (beardies are hit or miss with their attitudes) , ur wife will end up loving the geckos (they’re very cute) I have a tokay gecko and a beardie currently , and i had a lepord gecko in the past. So i know a little about husbandry of the three
I will say they are quite quite different, first off ENCLOSURES: a leopard gecko and crestie need far less space than a beardie, a crestie will need high humidity, a leopard will need a small amount of humidity and a beardie obviously needs very little, cresties do best in bioactive setups (in my opinion) leopard geckos and beardies can be kept very very basic With just hides and stuff to climb, for LIGHTING; leopard geckos and cresties dont Necessarily need Uvb/Uva (but I highly highly recommend it) cresties and leopards (leopard geckos need under tank heaters to digest food) need lower temps 70-90f where as a beardie absolutely NEEDS uvb/uva and hot temps 95-110 for DIET; a crestie will be the easiest to feed, they eat mixed powder with water and occasionally a cricket or super worm, a leopard gecko is an Insectivore (all bugs all the time) , whereas a beardie needs bugs and veggies (70% bugs 30% veg as a baby 70%veg 30% bugs as an adult) TEMPERAMENT: a beardie can be pretty moody (especially if its a male) cresties and leopards are kinda soulless (in my opinion) (atleast the ones I owned were lol) now for the fun part HANDLING: i will say a crestie is going to be the best and most fun to handle (they’re active jumpers be careful!) (i love taking out my tokay gecko and having him crawl on my arms) leopard geckos and beardies have nails and don’t really like to be handled :/ they do love outside time and exploreing though, idk if i missed anything in my piece, if i were to grade the three lizards itd be this
Beardie: C
Crestie: B
Leopard: C-
Tokay gecko: A+++ lol jk (F- they’re mean)
There is no best choice here as I said above they’re very different, if i were in your position id get ur kids what they want , they’ll be happy, the wife will be happy you chose their wants over your own, and you can always get a beardie down the road :) please do your own research and watch lots of videos on they’re care, heres a couple links for each
Crested gecko
Leopard gecko
Bearded dragon
A couple youtubers i watch with care of these are Reptiliatus , Clint’s reptiles, Animal1guy takes in rescued beardies I really like his channel.
i hope this helped it took me like 30mins to write!! :) lol

Attachments

• 50521711-D15C-4275-923C-D56BB8610A93.jpeg
    50521711-D15C-4275-923C-D56BB8610A93.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 72EB5E61-CDC6-4422-90B1-8C50C4B5EBB7.jpeg
    72EB5E61-CDC6-4422-90B1-8C50C4B5EBB7.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 6

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Did i say tokay geckos are mean? I ment defensive, my tokay gecko is absolutely a sweetheart and I handle him every day, he doesn’t bark, bite, or gape his mouth. But i don’t recommend these to a new lizard owner.

Latest posts