• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

which bugs are best?

Robin Worden

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just am getting back into beardies...The one I have is a baby..his/her hatch date was May 19.He doesn't seem thrilled withcrickets. he loves superworms...I get the small ones of course.I saw here phoenix worms...what are they...do any of you use them?I also have leopard geckos so trying something new isn't a big deal..someone will eat them for sure. Also have a yellow banded nigerian uromastycs. So even veggies beardie baby doesn't like Uro(Yoshi) will eat.. Just really trying to get an idea what is really best. Of course the basic staples. Collards and escarole and allb...Lighting I have both a day and night heat lamp as well as a UVB I have him in a 20 long for now cause he is so little. But I have40 breeder ready to go when he gets bigger. I use paertowels for the bottom right now so I can see when he poops and know that all is well. I really am more concerned about what bugs are best for him/her...veggies are easy

Jack Reeman

Hatchling Dragon
I have always used Locust and Dubia roaches. Probably two of the best feeder insects for any reptile.

Obviously I dont know how easy it is for you to get these but i would highly recommend them. I try to stay away from worms as they are high in chitin, which in a big enough amount will cause serious digestive issues. Every so often is okay.

Roaches are really easy to make a colony, so you will rarely have to buy more. If you need advise on how to start a colony, we're all happy to help.

Otherwise locusts are great, really easy to keep, slow moving and naturally high in proteins and other essential nutrients.

Just always remember to never feed insects bigger then the space between your beardies eyes

Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

laswabbie

Juvenile Dragon
Phoenix worms are a trade name for Black Soldier Fly Larvae (BSFL). They are also called NutriGrubs and other things. They look like normal maggots and dragons love them.

I feed them along with crickets and dubia roaches and, of course, dragon salad.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Crickets, dubia roaches, superworms, butterworms, waxworms, silkworms, hornworms, phoenix worms are all good, some are treats as they are high in fats...
I prefer dubia's rather than crickets because they can carry pin worms, and Dubia's are soo meaty and juicy for them and can be gut loaded really nicely so added bonus!! :)
-Feeder Insect values:
Black Solider fly larve:
Crickets: 74% moisture, 1% Ash, 18% Protein, 6% Fat, 3% Carbs, 3% Fiber, 14 Calcium
Earthworms:
Redworms:
ButterWorms: 59% Moisture, 16% Protein, 5% Fat, 1% Ash, 43 Calcium
Dubia Roaches: 61% Moisture, 2% Ash, 36% Protein, 7% Fat, 3% Carbs, 20 Calcium
Locusts: 62% Moisture, 41% Protein, 5% Fat
Superworms: 59% Moisture, 1% Ash, 20% Protein, 16% Fat, 6% Carbs, 11 Calcium
Mealworms: 59% Moisture, 10% Protein, 1% Ash, 13% Fat, 3% Carbs, 3 Calcium
Waxworms: 61% Moisture, 16% Protein, 18% Fat, 1% Ash, 8% Fiber, 13 Calcium
Phoenix Worms: <10% Moisture, 17% Protein, 10% Fat, 34 Calcium
Silkworms: 76% Moisture, 64% Protein, 10% Fat, 8% Ash, 34 Calcium
Hornworms:

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just am getting back into beardies...The one I have is a baby..his/her hatch date was May 19.He doesn't seem thrilled withcrickets. he loves superworms...I get the small ones of course.I saw here phoenix worms...what are they...do any of you use them?I also have leopard geckos so trying something new isn't a big deal..someone will eat them for sure. Also have a yellow banded nigerian uromastycs. So even veggies beardie baby doesn't like Uro(Yoshi) will eat.. Just really trying to get an idea what is really best. Of course the basic staples. Collards and escarole and allb...Lighting I have both a day and night heat lamp as well as a UVB I have him in a 20 long for now cause he is so little. But I have40 breeder ready to go when he gets bigger. I use paertowels for the bottom right now so I can see when he poops and know that all is well. I really am more concerned about what bugs are best for him/her...veggies are easy

You say you have a night heat lamp.. I would not use it they really don't need any light/heat as they need the cool down, and the lamps give off light which really keeps them from sleeping. The 3rd eye ontop their head will sense light/shadows keeping them alert. As long as your night time temps don't go below 65F you don't need them. If they do drop below that get a CHE (ceramic heating element) to give them heat with zero light.

Draeju's_world

Juvenile Dragon
Right now i'm feeding my young beardie black soldier fly larvae (phoenix worms), adult black soldier flies, small dubias, and small super worms.

Robin Worden

Bearded Dragon Egg
I haven't used it...I have it in case a bulb breaks and I can't get to the store that moment....I know I have a way to keep him warm till I can. I always keep an extra bulb but this is more of a just in case ...It came with a 2 pack...It was a buy 2 day bulbs get the night bulb free. Also have a back up UVB.I try to be as prepared as I can be

Robin Worden

Bearded Dragon Egg
Looks like I may have to just bite the bullet and get some dubias...I have been so against the roach thing but hey...they aren't ones that can climb sooo

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looks like I may have to just bite the bullet and get some dubias...I have been so against the roach thing but hey...they aren't ones that can climb sooo
They creep me out too but the benefits just outweigh the creep factor and they love them! And if you start a colony you won't be buying them once yours start producing..

Latest posts