• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Where is the general care thread? (and beardie not eating vegetables)

AdamFF

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey, so sorry to ask this as I know it is gone over ad nauseum, but I cannot find a thread that specifies the general temps and humidity needed for my dragon. My lighting is fine for sure. I am actually just double checking that mine are ok. - I also need some help with getting mine to eat greens and vegetables. I have tried bee pollen and offering only greens for several days, which he did eat some when forced like that. I don't want to starve him to death however!

Thanks so much and sorry I couldn't find this easily!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey, so sorry to ask this as I know it is gone over ad nauseum, but I cannot find a thread that specifies the general temps and humidity needed for my dragon. My lighting is fine for sure. I am actually just double checking that mine are ok. - I also need some help with getting mine to eat greens and vegetables. I have tried bee pollen and offering only greens for several days, which he did eat some when forced like that. I don't want to starve him to death however!

Thanks so much and sorry I couldn't find this easily!
That's ok- how old is your dragon? And exactly what is he eating? To determine it's him being stubborn please tell me exactly what you are using for lights? Brand and bulb of uvb it it in the tank or top of screen and the basking bulb and how are you getting surface basking temps

AdamFF

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok. He is 2 years old and I feel really bad that he still isn't getting into veggies. He is on BSFL mainly with crickets sometimes and hornworms. I put out kale everyday despite him not really paying attention to it. For 3 days at a time I have been only offering him veggies. He does eat mustard greens and kale sometimes during that period. He has been known to have butternut squash as well. I am using a T5 arcadia 12% UVB 22 inch bulb in a 40 gallon tank. Top of tank. 100 watt basking bulb. I have a temp gun.

Thanks.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. He is 2 years old and I feel really bad that he still isn't getting into veggies. He is on BSFL mainly with crickets sometimes and hornworms. I put out kale everyday despite him not really paying attention to it. For 3 days at a time I have been only offering him veggies. He does eat mustard greens and kale sometimes during that period. He has been known to have butternut squash as well. I am using a T5 arcadia 12% UVB 22 inch bulb in a 40 gallon tank. Top of tank. 100 watt basking bulb. I have a temp gun.

Thanks.
Ok so start adding your BSFL to the tops of his salads -also I would get some dubia roaches as well to add more variety to the diet www.dubiaroaches.com-- and use them as lures as well -- crickets can be used but you would need to pull the back legs off of them to keep them in the bowl -- ignore the kale thing its a great staple http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
you might need a bowl similar to this to keep them the insects in https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
please get a digital probe thermometer to get actual surface basking temps get two one for the basking hot side and one for your cool side - especially if your using a hammock certain materials cannot be read correctly by a IR gun- your screen on your tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type- screens block approx 30% of the UVB rays

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you. Could you point me to a good digital probe thermometer?
Zoo med digital probe thermometer- found at PetSmart or Petco most used - what about your screen this is crucial

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, thanks! It's a screen door type.
It needs to go inside the tank - he's not getting enough uvb- place a piece of decor directly under the uvb approx 12-15 inches- this would be a good reason for not eating enough he's not getting enough uvb to absorb his calcium-

AdamFF

Bearded Dragon Egg
I can't do that. I originally had it inside and it was too much for him, he threw a fit and really hated it. Like moving constantly and glass surfing a lot. Or maybe I'm missing something. What do you mean by a piece of decor?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can't do that. I originally had it inside and it was too much for him, he threw a fit and really hated it. Like moving constantly and glass surfing a lot. Or maybe I'm missing something. What do you mean by a piece of decor?
You want the uvb unobstructed-- w/ a fine mesh screen he isn't getting enough uvb- take a piece of decor place it directly under the uvb 12-15 inches or you can take the screen off it doesn't matter how the fixture sits length or width wise or diagonal as long as it's unobstructed - and he can get under it

AdamFF

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok I hear you but he does eat protein like BSFL fine. - He does not poop a whole lot is that another sign of not getting proper UVB? Thanks again.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I hear you but he does eat protein like BSFL fine. - He does not poop a whole lot is that another sign of not getting proper UVB? Thanks again.
Yes along w/ dehydration- how is he getting water?

AdamFF

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks. I am hesitant to put the tube uvb light in the cage. I have heard that T5's are fine for above the screen and like I said I have had it in there before and he couldn't stand it. He also still eats bugs everyday. I will try putting some on the salad maybe. Thanks again.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks. I am hesitant to put the tube uvb light in the cage. I have heard that T5's are fine for above the screen and like I said I have had it in there before and he couldn't stand it. He also still eats bugs everyday. I will try putting some on the salad maybe. Thanks again.
Your dragon needs the uvb rays--- he will develop mbd if he is not getting enough--- I have seen correct lighting but improper placement and the dragon ends up sick

Ruvi99

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please invest in a solar meter. These are essential for bearded dragons. Idk how people just guess or assume the uvi numbers. From basking spot- it should be 4-9.00 for bearded dragons. Arcadia’s website explains this as well. Humidity should be between 30-40%. No higher or it can cause RI. Regarding the veggies, my boy hated them until I started using Repashy gel mix. His vet said it’s ok to use daily. They have beardie buffet /veggie burger flavors haha they come in powder form and you simply add hot water to make a gel mix. I spread it on his greens and he loves it. He’s 9 and thriving. He’s also I’m a 6ft bioactive terrarium. Highly recommend doing this. Check out The BioDude. His website has tons of resources as well. Variety is also key. I grow my own veggies and he loves mustard, collard and dandelions. Let me know if I can help in any way/answer questions. Sadie seems
To be helping here a lot as well:)

Latest posts