• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

when to feed veggies??

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
Hi all,

I wanted to know when is ith a good age to feed veggies for your BD. I had read somewhere that they start to eat it at their juvi age. Mine is still young, can I try to feed it veggies or should i just wait til my BD gets bigger?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can & should right from the start, even though they may not touch it, fresh greens should always be made available to them for when they do choose to 'Test' it out. Just be sure that it is cut into baby bite size pieces.

Here is a link to a very good color coded list of what is good & not so good to feed & how often.
Beautiful Dragons Nutrition List

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A good idea is to place it in a low sided container so it is easy for it to see. A jar lid or the top of a small plastic margarine container works well.

Good Luck

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
i agree 100% w/germ!!!! if u wait 2 long, ur beardie may end up being a pickey eater & never bothering 2 try the veggies/greens. i started mine w/vegs & greens as soon as i got him...didn't take him long at all 2 start eating em. but all beardies r different, just be consistent & give it time, ur beardie shud get the idea eventually. :)

Reactions: Jp

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
thank you both for your advice! i got my bd a small feeding dish and put some greens and fruits in it topped with baby bites. i don't think my bd ate any of it.. but i'm going to keep it in there for it to eat. my baby seems to like mostly crickets at the moment. :\

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
u r very welcome cherryfilters. be sure 2 keep the salad moist. mist it once in awhile, it'll help keep it good longer & it'll hydrate ur beardie at the same time. cuz in australia, in the wild, that's how they get their water..from the moisture on leaves & such. if u've noticed they like 2 walk round & try 2 lick almost nething lol.

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
yes i noticed that my baby bd does that. lol it's so cute :3
thanks for the tip~ i need help with one more thing. i did put up a post wonder if you can maybe help. my bd is shedding and looks so uncomfortable. i misted my bd with water bc it doesn't like bathing. what can i do to help?

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
@jessica: ps. i misted the veggies just now. took your suggestion bc i noticed it was kinda getting dry. :)

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
if ur beardie is shedding, than that's a good sign that he's healthy & growing. definately do not try & peel the skin off ur beardie w/e u do!!!! that can hurt ur baby, so all u can do is keep misting & bath 1-2 times a week. make sure there's something in the enclosure 4 ur beardie 2 be able 2 rub against 2 rub his/her skin off as well.

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
thanks jessica, you've been real helpful. appreciate your time very much! and yeah.. honestly, i almost attempted to try and "help" my bd by peeling it, but i didn't because i thought about it twice and just misted steven with water. steven uses the leaves on the plastic tree to take some skin off thats where i found most of the dead skin. i'll try to bathe steven, but i can tell you it does NOT like it..

again many thanks!

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
ur very welcome cherryfilters. my beardie is almost a yr old & he still doesn't like his baths. all beardies r different, some like it some don't. i've seen many videos/comments of others whose beardies just have an absolute blast in the tub & others who h8t it & try 2 get out lol. but it's best 4 their health, hydration & hygeine.

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
i guess i assumed they like baths bc of videos i saw online and going to pet store seeing them just chill in the water dish. but you're right each one has it's own personality.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
i guess i assumed they like baths bc of videos i saw online and going to pet store seeing them just chill in the water dish. but you're right each one has it's own personality.
None of my beardies like baths! I just make sure I soak them good 1-2 times a week anyhow. Especially if they're shedding! It helps them to loosen up the skin or something, it just starts coming off easier for them afterwards. They probably stay in the bath kicking and complaining the whole time for about 15 minutes while I clean their enclosures.

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
None of my beardies like baths! I just make sure I soak them good 1-2 times a week anyhow. Especially if they're shedding! It helps them to loosen up the skin or something, it just starts coming off easier for them afterwards. They probably stay in the bath kicking and complaining the whole time for about 15 minutes while I clean their enclosures.

LOL that's so funny and cute how you described it. my bd just sits there and stares at me with this glare then tries to jump out of the container i use to bathe it. so i always keep an eye on it so i don't lose him/her. thanks for you input :) glad to know my bd is not the only one who doesn't like baths. XD

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It's good for them anyhow, it's a necessary evil. That's how they stay hydrated. Don't let them bully you :).

Vincent

Hatchling Dragon
Even when its a hatchling still, its a good idea to give the little guy veggies. Do not freak out when ur baby doesnt eat alot of its veggies,because hatchlings eat manly insects. When he/she get older he/she will eat more veggies.

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
i feed him/her veggies everyday and s/he'll pick thru them sometimes even eating the whole bowl of fruit salad. :) i noticed that s/he'll eat only when I'm not watching.