• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When should i get a bigger cage? Pics

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
019.JPG
018.JPG

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone can help me decide how old she is and most importantly when should i get her the 40 gallon tank. She is getting bigger and bigger everyday. Thanks everybody for helping me on this site.
I am still confused about posting pics so i just did it this way lol. K thanks

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is very difficult to judge age, as individual BDs grow at different rates. By the hand comparison in the Pic, I would guess that she is approximately 12" long, nose to tip of tail. I would hazard a guess that she would be in the vicinity of 4 months old. Give or take a month ;). She could have been housed in a 40 gal breeder right from the start, so you could make the transition anytime, I would suggest reasonably soon.

I also would suggest that you clean up your enclosure, it appears to have at least a weeks waste in it. That is disgustingly Filthy & Unsanitary ... :eek:

Over & over, it has been recommended to you that *BOTH* the UVB & Heat Bulb need to cover the basking spot in order to be effective. But you do not seem to want to heed good advice. This is *IMPORTANT* for the health & wellbeing of your BD. Is there a UVB bulb in both long fixtures? Your fixtures do not seem to be suited to the size\type of the enclosure for proper & effective placement.

Is the gauge in the bottom left corner your thermometer? If it is, it is no where near where the temps should be measured. Basking temp should be measured directly at the Basking spot, below the heat bulb & should be the hottest spot in the enclosure that your BD has access to. Try placing it right where your BD is sitting in the last pic, see what your temps are there, that is where the basking temp should be measured from & should be in the vicinity of 110F. Digital thermometers with sensors\probes are a much better choice of thermometers to provide accurate readings where they should be taken.

Good Luck to you & your BD

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
Is it really true that if i would get her a bigger cage now she will grow to be bigger because of the bigger environment?
Her cage is dirty, I am cleaning it tomorrow so it will be nice and clean for her.
I know about the uvb and heat thing but i pushed my basking light over by where the uvb lights are and that raised the temp a good bit so she always is up by the uvb lights, especially after she eats. I would def. heed advice from you though cuz you know everything about dragons so i would listen to you over most ppl.

When i get a 40 gallon tank would my two uvb bulbs and one basking light be enough light for her in that big of a tank?

The gauge is my thermometer the only reason i have it there is to make sure the temp dont drop below 70 at night, because i know they get cold if its under 70. So what i did was when i first got her i would put the thermometer right on top of the rock and the temps were always around 110 degrees.
Thanks again for all the good advice i really appreciate you answering all my questions. I dont know if i asked you this but do you mist your dragon everyday or give him/her a bath every couple days.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
That is a myth that is carried for so many animals, that is simply not true. While housing an animal in an area that is to small can surely hinder (and even stunt) growth, they won't grow any faster if placed in a larger enclosure. Bearded Dragons, like humans (and most animals), will grow at different rates. I don't know nearly as much add Germ, but I would say the heat lamp and UVB you have now would be fine for a larger enclosure. If you want more, ambient lighting is fairly cheap, and so are lighting hoods. You could always put a regular 'ol florescent light on the cool side. Remember, lights from the room will get in as well. Hope I helped.

Oh yeah, clean that tank. Like...now. Really. You could make that bd sick. Would you want to wander around, dodging your own poop?

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks a lot for the info cuz i wanted her to get really big so i was gonna get a bigger cage right away.

Ya the clean was a mess and that was only after a couple weeks but i just cleaned it this morning so she's all comfortable and clean now.

mayhmmaydn

Bearded Dragon Egg
She would be healthier and happier if youTake the solid poop out of the take daily and change her water daily when she is fed too. She would like it If you clean up old food or other messes as needed.. meaning twice a day if there is food all over the floor. and she would be so much more taken care of in a safer way if Once a week you should tear it all down clean it with safe cleaners and dry it well. Make sure it has no fumes and is dry before putting her back. My goodness poor little thing having to shuffle through that muck.

Latest posts