• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When do they start getting BIG???

Dragon Lady

Hatchling Dragon
I have a baby/juvie-ish dragon.. I'm going to take a swing and say three months old... I feed him well, I give him supplements... He has everything he could possibly need/want.. Including love, lots of that!!! And he hasn't shed except maybe a little near his tail maybe.... He's active... He basks... Has interesting things in his cage to stimulate him... But nose tip to vent, or where his privates are he isn't much more than.... I'd say maximum five inches.... He's definetly got a belly on him... And his lights go off at the same time every night, and turn on at the same time...(timer of course). Is he normal for his age?... Or is he a late bloomer?... Come to think of it, he might even be pushing 4mos now... Any advice would be appreciated!!!

*~*~*~ Love always bring difficulties, that is true, but the good side of it is that it gives energy ~*~*~*
-Vincent Van Gogh-

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Different BDs grow at different rates, check out the differences in size of my three brothers, hatched within a day or 2 of each other, same lighting, diet, everything ... Hatchlings

We generally refer to their length\size measurement from nose to tip of tail. I would guess by your description that it would be 12-13" long, sounding well within normal growth patterns. If it's eating, pooping & otherwise looking & acting healthy, you should have no reason for concern. I have had BDs max out at from 15"-22", the norm being generally from 17"-21", so their adult sizes can vary drastically. I never recommend growth comparisons for this reason, one may grow quickly right from the start, others will start out slow, than have huge growth spurts, so fast, that it seems that you can almost literally watch them grow before your eyes. Much like people vary in size & growth rate.

Dragon Lady

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah he is fine in every other way.. Poops, eats, plays, sleeps... He's a kiddo in every way! I was just making sure he was ok... I'm a nervous mommy.... :-/

AND yes, with tail, he's about roughly 12"..

*~*~*~ Love always bring difficulties, that is true, but the good side of it is that it gives energy ~*~*~*
-Vincent Van Gogh-

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I worried about Dexter when she was younger. She's about 4.5 months now too. She had a week of no growth and then she shot up fast! Now she gains 10-15 grams a week and 1/2-3/4"! So enjoy him while he's small! He sounds like he's growing good!

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
To give you an idea, my Aussie was only a little over 8" at six months. She's about a year now, and is just under 15". Demani, who we got as a rescue in October, is probably about 13-14 months, and is just under 17". He was only 9 1/4" in October. They're both still growing. Aussie is probably just going to be on the small side.

Dragon Lady

Hatchling Dragon
This is all very VERY comforting to hear! Although maybe a bit rattling(how big is he gonna get!?) LOL!!!

-Vincent Van Gogh-

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
This is all very VERY comforting to hear! Although maybe a bit rattling(how big is he gonna get!?) LOL!!!

-Vincent Van Gogh-

I'm wondering the same thing! Dexter is in a 36" tank and she's already more than 1/3 the length!

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
As a general rule, the maximum length is 24". I'm sure there have been several that exceeded that, but that's pretty much their max. They are also usually full grown by 18 months. There is, however, a "German Giant" variety. These have been known to get 28". Full length of a normal is generally 19-22".

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The "True" German Giant line have not been bred for many years now. If someone tells you that they have one, particularly if it is under 7 or 8 years old, it is likely BS.

Dragon Lady

Hatchling Dragon
The "True" German Giant line have not been bred for many years now. If someone tells you that they have one, particularly if it is under 7 or 8 years old, it is likely BS.
His German Giants are quite old. Around 9yrs... I believe he said were the mothers age... And so I just repeat what I was told by the breeder. And the male was around same age I believe. And he was SUPER big!!! Both male and female that produced Bruce were rather large... Not like the beardie at Ken the Bug Guys... Not defending an unknown breeder... Just stating what I know...

-Vincent Van Gogh-

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
DL; I think it depends on a lot of things-feeding, lighting, care ect; and i don't think no-one can predick [sp] how big any one dragon will be lol-I know this don't help you much but it's something to think about. river-7

mama

Hatchling Dragon
I always worry about my guy. He in my mind has always been on the smaller side..I see ones in the pet stores about the same age and they seem huge..now at about a year he seems to be having some huge growth spurts. Probably to make up for being in brumation for all of winter.

Murtaghs_family

Hatchling Dragon
I adopted my beardie around june of 2012 he had an unknown accident (happened before adoption) and his tail is just a zig-zag 3" stub. I was told he was 6 months old when i got him but I'm not sure. in total he's about 7" ... Any idea if he was 6 months when i got him?

Pat B

Super Moderator
My Spike isn't much bigger than your beardie. He is almost 18 months and he too has a stub....burned his tail when he was tiny because I didn't know any better!! But I do now! I call him a runt because he is small. It is hard to put an age on a beardie when they all grow differently. Germ's Vasuki is h-u-g-e and his Hoodwink is almost twice as small and both came from the same clutch. I wouldn't worry about his age....a guesstimate will work. Just keep him happy and healthy!! Enjoy!! :)

Latest posts