• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's your roach setup.

dhall79

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Just started my colony Friday. Had an old 75 gallon fish tank and stand in the garage. Painted the outside glass flat black. Couple zoo med under tank heaters. Making custom tops tonight out of black hdpe .100 thick plastic. Going to sandwich screen between 2 layers that have several 2 inch holes cut.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Give em a cool area too. Lots of egg cartons. What type of roaches? Theyre pretty forgiving. Ya dont have to overthink this. I mean - you can if ya like to but ya dont have to!

dhall79

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
They are dubia roaches. I tend to over do most things. I have too many hobbies and not enough money to support them. So I go crazy on one thing at a time. Not that roach keeping is a hobby. Actually, the bearded dragon is my 12 y/o sons. Its just that my wife and I kinda adopted him. Sick of dropping $40 a month on mail order crix.

dhall79

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Started with 20 females and 5 males, just ordered 200 mixed with guaranteed breeders from another seller to pump up the numbers to get it going faster. Probably couldn't hurt that they are hopefully from a different blood line so that it's not all just incest. Doubt it even matters though. They are all going down the hatch. Wife has already found several people at her place of employment to buy off excess for feeders and fish bait.

dhall79

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1393341887571.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1393341948497.jpg

I dont have the screens in yet, but this is what I got so far. I have a stand for it too, but currently renovating the basement where it will be. So it will be on the floor of the wifes "craft" room till the flooring is installed.

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
That is wonderful - and similar to what I've had in mind - though that's going to be one large colony with a tank that size!

Unfortunately right now I'm in one smaller tote. I've just purchased the necessary supplies to expand into another one - but I'd rather have one large colony than separate smaller ones, I'm just unsure as to which way is preferable.

I see the handles on the top, are those lids hinged on?

dhall79

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Nope. Just gravity. I figured that I could slow them down by lowering the temps if needed. Might put in dividers with small holes to let the nymphs through but keep the breeders in another area.

I also trimmed all the silicone in the corners so now there is nothing to climb.

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
I'd be very interested to know how the nymph divider turns out if you go that route!

I'm hoping to get an ideal setup so that they can breed like crazy - I have a lot of people that would be interested in purchasing, but I'm still learning the ropes.

I have a 55gal. that I could do a similar setup with, but I haven't decided if I am going to be using it for any new additions to the family! Unfortunately Aquariums aren't cheap..

Either way, props on this build!

dhall79

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Keep an eye out on Craigslist. People get sick of old aquariums sitting around and let them go cheap. Especially if you dont care if it holds water. Could post in the wanted section. Facebook buy sell trade groups are another great place to look.

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
That's where I've had my eyes ;)
I'd like the deeper type that the later ones offer - but it's not a necessity for roaches I suppose.

Latest posts